JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   moms who have been induced (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2648966-moms-who-have-been-induced.html)

Rissa6213 May 7th, 2013 07:27 PM

moms who have been induced

My doctor told me that if I by chance go past my due date that he will induce my labor. I have heard nothing but horror stories from friends about how the labor was horrible with very unnatural and even more painful contractions than with a natural labor, and it either made them extremely sick, shaky, or heavy feeling. I am looking for as many opinions before I have a chat with him about it. Anybody have an induction?

mommyandwife08 May 7th, 2013 07:36 PM

Re: moms who have been induced

I have twice. One at 38 weeks and one at 42. Both went fine. The first (at 38 weeks) was a little rougher because I had a really bad nurse who screwed up my medicine. But besides that and the fact baby with a huge head (4th degree tear), labor was fine. It was 14 hours from start to finish and I only pushed for 10 minutes or so. The second labor was amazing! It took 5-6 hours start to finish and I pushed for under 5 minutes. I will say contractions do get pretty intense and I didn't really have a break in between them but overall it wasn't the horror story you normally hear about when talking about induction. I am hoping to have a natural labor this time but if I have to be induced I am okay with it.

MamaSkunk May 7th, 2013 08:00 PM

I kind of had to be induced. My water broke at 41 weeks (your water can break without being in labor when you go overdue...basically the amniotic sac and placenta degrade more and more with each day past your due date.) Anyway I was put on pitocin and it resulted in a 24 long labor. Pushing only lasted fifteen minutes. I had no pain meds as I refused any so what resulted was my body stalledfor awhile with no progression. They briefly allowed me off the pitocin to take a shower for about a half hour and it helped immensely and labor picked back up when on it. Does pitocin suck....you betcha. Can it be done with no pain meds....completely. The contractions did hurt but what did me in the most was it was back spasms....is back labor. Now I have a very bad back...my back was broken in two different places and I pinched and severed a bunch of nerves and muscles in my back...they never healed properly as I went 4 months before going in to a Dr. So basically the back labor aggravated my old injuries and doubled it. I am told pitocin contractions hurt more. I am hoping to avoid pitocin this time to find out. But all in all and Induction isn't entirely evil...tougher maybe. But do-able.

MerinSun May 7th, 2013 09:46 PM

I had 2 inductions with Alex. One failed, obviously, and the other took.

Is your doctor giving you a medical reason for why YOU need to be induced (as compared to statistics or other numbers)? It is very natural, normal, and common for first time moms to go late. If you hit 40 weeks and the baby is doing fine there is no reason to not wait. Ask your doctor for a bio-scan to determine the health of the baby, placenta, and umbilical cord.

My OB/GYN with Alex told me that my child, specifically, was an undue increased risk for fetal stress and/or mortality. My due date was May 5th, on May 11th they admitted me for the first induction, so I wasn't even 41 weeks yet. It failed miserably.

2 days later they finally did a bio-scan and my baby was 100% perfect. No issues. We heavily questioned the other OB/GYNs who were handling me (not the one who sent us in) about *WHY* the other doctor told me that my baby was at an increased risk when obviously there was no problem. We were told that she was relatively new and that doctors are trained now to strongly discourage women to go past 41 weeks for liability issues. Yeah, telling someone that THEIR baby was at risk of dying is pretty strong discouragement!

At 41 weeks and 5 days I was induced again and this time it took. I went in for a second induction because all the ultrasounds we had (starting at 8 weeks) and beyond agreed that Alex was truly overdue (dates were correct, date of conception accurate, etc). However, my body was literally not allowing me to give birth. My cervix remained very high, hard, and undilated. His head was not engaging in my pelvis at all. It took induction drugs and breaking my waters to get me to dilate beyond 1cm.

Inductions are a medical intervention and carry a whole host of risks and side-effects. Alex spent the first two weeks of his life exhibiting signs of high tension, he couldn't relax, he was always very stiff. When I nursed him he would CLAMP down. These are symptoms of stress documented in induction cases:
LLLI | Clampdown Bite Reflex

We had to do baby massages and other techniques (including adapting our nursing routine) to help him relax.

What I learned is that inductions can be necessary but I would strongly encourage anyone to thoroughly quiz your doctor about why YOU need one and to get the appropriate testing to determine its necessity. My first induction was unnecessary and unwarranted. My second induction was necessary.

I had a co-worker who was dilating, effacing, etc. very nicely. At 39 weeks her doctor told her that he felt she would deliver within the next day or two, HOWEVER he was going out of town the day after next. So, if she wanted him to deliver the baby she better have an induction. My co-worker, who was progressing naturally and normally, went in for the induction because she wanted to be done and the doctor said it was okay. I was so upset when I heard this that I almost slapped her silly. All I could think of was the horrible time I had with Alex and my poor bruised and bloody nipples and how 2 medicated labors with one child played a part in it.

MerinSun May 7th, 2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaSkunk (Post 27347869)
I kind of had to be induced. My water broke at 41 weeks (your water can break without being in labor when you go overdue...basically the amniotic sac and placenta degrade more and more with each day past your due date.) Anyway I was put on pitocin and it resulted in a 24 long labor. Pushing only lasted fifteen minutes. I had no pain meds as I refused any so what resulted was my body stalledfor awhile with no progression. They briefly allowed me off the pitocin to take a shower for about a half hour and it helped immensely and labor picked back up when on it. Does pitocin suck....you betcha. Can it be done with no pain meds....completely. The contractions did hurt but what did me in the most was it was back spasms....is back labor. Now I have a very bad back...my back was broken in two different places and I pinched and severed a bunch of nerves and muscles in my back...they never healed properly as I went 4 months before going in to a Dr. So basically the back labor aggravated my old injuries and doubled it. I am told pitocin contractions hurt more. I am hoping to avoid pitocin this time to find out. But all in all and Induction isn't entirely evil...tougher maybe. But do-able.

Oh my goodness, I certainly couldn't do it! LOL When my labor stalled during the second induction (2cm) I was so exhausted and in pain. I wanted to keep going "natural" but the doctor (one I liked and trusted) sat on my bed, held my hand, and said "I think you need rest. You would be surprised by what rest can do" I got the epidural, fell asleep, and I woke up to 6cms :) But then my epidural needle fell out and I endured 2 hours of no pain relief and I was a puddle on the floor, lol.

If I go naturally with this one I don't expect that I'll make it without pain relief. When I do decide that i need it I will ask for a low dose to keep the amount of medication in me to a minimum. If I have to have another induction I will most likely get a full epidural when they switch from pre-induction drugs to full blown induction drugs. I am not a superwoman when it comes to pain, lol.

crawmommy May 7th, 2013 10:20 PM

I went to be induced with dd at 41w2d and was already having contractions 2-3 min apart but they gave me pitocin. While is wasn't horrible I am wanting to do it without pitocin this time. It made me very nauseous and once they broke my water my contractions were very strong. My dr told me that if needed they can induce by breaking the water instead of pitocin.

MamaSkunk May 7th, 2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerinSun (Post 27348151)
Oh my goodness, I certainly couldn't do it! LOL When my labor stalled during the second induction (2cm) I was so exhausted and in pain. I wanted to keep going "natural" but the doctor (one I liked and trusted) sat on my bed, held my hand, and said "I think you need rest. You would be surprised by what rest can do" I got the epidural, fell asleep, and I woke up to 6cms :) But then my epidural needle fell out and I endured 2 hours of no pain relief and I was a puddle on the floor, lol.

If I go naturally with this one I don't expect that I'll make it without pain relief. When I do decide that i need it I will ask for a low dose to keep the amount of medication in me to a minimum. If I have to have another induction I will most likely get a full epidural when they switch from pre-induction drugs to full blown induction drugs. I am not a superwoman when it comes to pain, lol.

Well to me an epi is out of the question for a few reasons....one because of my previous back injury and I have a slow clotting time. Also I have an allergy to codeine which means any form of pain killer made from the poppy....which is most of them makes me sick. Not that I like pain but I'm very stubborn and I wanted a natural childbirth and by that point that was really the only thing left in my control at that point. And I wasn't gonna give in and ask for pain relief as I wanted one thing of my birth plan to happen.
For me it really was all mind over matter.

Steph625 May 8th, 2013 06:30 AM

I've had an induction and it went great. I was 41 weeks pregnant and was put on pitocin at 6am and bad contractions didn't start til 9am. I labored for 3 hours til I was dilated enough for an epidural and then they broke my water. I had my daughter out within 3 pushes at 3:30pm. Easy peasy!

Rissa6213 May 8th, 2013 06:30 AM

I haven't had a chance to really talk to him about it yet, I plan to on Monday. So far my pregnancy has been perfect, no problems with the baby at all. He is already head down and descended into my pelvis. I just remember him telling me early on that if I went to 41 weeks and wasn't progressing we would do an induction. I guess I will just have to really do some research and make sure he tells me everything. I am leaning more towards a c section if it comes down to being late, but the recovery scares me. But I am worried that an induction would cause stress on the baby and me. I guess we'll see.

Kyla0709 May 8th, 2013 07:05 AM

I've been induced twice. The first was at 38 weeks because I had pre-e. It wasn't the best experience, sometimes the epidural can really inhibit your body's ability to push, I pushed for 2 hours before finally needing the help of a vacuum because I was so exhausted. The second time I was induced went very well. It happened at 39 weeks for suspected pre-e, but I don't remember if they ever told me if my blood pressure was just elevated or if they actually found protein in my urine, if you don't ask questions, they won't tell you. I was able to make it to 7cm before really feeling that need for pain relief, and looking back on it, I think I may have been able to make it the whole way without the epidural, but, when in Rome, ya know? Anyways, once they stuck me with the needle I just went with the medicine it initially gives you and I didn't press the button they give you, so I'd still be able to feel what I was doing. Transition was pretty hard, but do-able. Once I felt the urge to push it was 10 minutes before he was out, and most of that time was spent waiting for the doctor to break down the bed.

I feel like they will want to induce me again this time. It's sad that I already feel disappointed by my birth experience and it hasn't even happened yet. I'm going to make sure it's totally necessary, my BP has been notoriously high at the doctor's, and normal at home. I think mostly because all I've wanted since I was pregnant with my first was a natural childbirth and I've not been able to get it, so I psych myself out when I go in and am always very anxious. Despite me telling them this, and pointing out that my pulse rate is obviously through the roof (due to nervousness) they still decided to give me a prescription for a blood pressure lowering med. The first time I took it I got very light headed and weak and took my BP at home and it was very, very low. I just think sometimes the doctors don't really know US and they just go by protocol. So I decided it would be best for me to not take the medicine and continue to monitor vigilantly. So far so good :) I haven't even had any swelling in my ankles most days. Of course if I see it starting to creep up I will start the meds again. My baby was measuring at the 78th percentile at a bio physical profile I had almost two weeks ago, and one of the characteristics of pre-e is fetal growth restriction, which is absolutely not the case.

Sorry for the novel, I'm just beginning to realize that we really have to be our own health advocates, and the health care system doesn't really care about our feelings about it, just their protocol. After watching my daddy go through cancer treatment, and being given drugs that may or may not have taken him from us sooner than he had to go, I am wont to believe everything a doctor tells me. I am all for necessary procedures, but sometimes what a doctor deems as necessary is really just convenient for them. Not to say all doctors are uncaring, because most of them care very much, but they only know what they've been taught.

Kalynas_Mom May 8th, 2013 07:09 AM

I think an induction would probably be a lot better than a c-section but thats just my personal opinion.

My water broke on a Friday night and I didn't go into labour. By Saturday evening I still wasn't in labour (despite acupuncture, walking, my doula doing weird massages etc.) So when I got to the hospital they started me on oxytocin right away. Not gonna lie the contractions were horrific. After 14 hours of intense contractions and full on labour I still was only 1cm dilated so I got the epidural. Two hours later I had DD. I don't think the induction was so terrible. My body wasn't doing what it was supposed to do and it was the only way I had a chance to deliver vaginally and they needed to speed up the process since my water had already been broken for almost 24 hours. From what I understand, being in labour naturally can make you feel sick and shaky etc. The oxytocin didn't make me feel anything except pain haha The epidrual on the other hand really made me shaky but it was a god sent! I didn't have a heavy feeling in my legs, I could move them around easily and even sit up, it just numbed the contraction pain.

But having said that, I certaily wouldn't opt for an induction for no reason. If baby is doing fine at 41 weeks there really isn't any reason to induce

cheerfulsunrise May 8th, 2013 10:49 AM

My first baby was an induction. I was over due, but my cervix was not "ready" at all. It took 14 hours (from other stories, I suppose is not that long at all). It was painful, but at the time I didn't have anything to compare it to. The hardest part was that due to the IVs and monitors, etc. I was not able to move around much at all. I had and epidural and also 2 shots of nubain. My second baby was not an induction, and I can't say for sure if the pain was "better", but the labor was shorter and I did not need any pain medicine. I also pushed for a way shorter time, and the recovery time was also quicker.
I am going to try to avoid being induced, and also will ask for cervix gel, etc. if I do have to be induced. I have read that if your cervix is not ready it is much worse.

rcjh12 May 8th, 2013 11:58 AM

My induction wasn't as bad as some I've heard of, but I've already told my doctor I'd like to avoid it at all costs because of how much worse it was than my first delivery. It took 14 hours, and I was shaking uncontrollably while I had what felt like transition pains for hours before I finally caved and had a spinal block. I progressed quickly after that, but had a reaction to the spinal and was vomiting and itching. Plus I ended up with an IV in each hand and could barely take care of my kiddo afterwards until those were taken out. Definitely not as extreme as some I've heard of, but I much preferred the back labor I had with my first, which was pretty awful itself ;)

zkat May 8th, 2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rissa6213 (Post 27348568)
I guess I will just have to really do some research and make sure he tells me everything. I am leaning more towards a c section if it comes down to being late, but the recovery scares me. But I am worried that an induction would cause stress on the baby and me. I guess we'll see.

A c-section is not less stressful for the baby than an induction, I assure you. The whole process of labor has a purpose for mom and baby. An induction can make labor more intense, but it is far less traumatic on all involved for the baby to descend the birth canal.

C-section babies will require more suctioning etc and a lot of moms have issues with milk coming in later because the whole process was disrupted. I was very fortunate that mine came in before I left the hospital, but I nursed him on demand, and non-stop the first 24 hours.

MamaSkunk May 8th, 2013 03:02 PM

Kat is right on the whole C-section vs induction. Induction is loads safer for mom and baby. Induction is basically your given a medicine or your water is broke for you. A c section is major surgery. My aunt has been a labor and delivery nurse for almost 30 years and has been scrubbed in on countless c sections. And I had a cousin who was considering a c section instead of induction and my aunt flat out told her that she's seen babies accidentally get cut by the scalpel. There is a high risk of moms hemmoraging or going into shock on the table. As its a major surgery. I tell you this not to scare you however.....an induction is a lot safer for you and baby than a c section and anyone who says otherwise is also not being honest or a medical professional.
There's a good reason why I flat out told my OB she will never take me in for a c section without my aunt being scrubbed in...cause she would threaten those docs within an inch of their lives if they let anything happen to me or lil man and if I went into shock and my heart stopped...well she would be the last to stop CPR.

Brie289 May 8th, 2013 03:31 PM

I was induced with my first at 38 weeks due to high BP and my labor was actually a good experience. I was put on pitocin at 6 pm and they broke my water at 6:30 pm. DS was born at 12:12 am so only a 6 hour labor, I pushed for 45 minutes. The doctor told me it'd be 18-24 hours since it was my first and I was induced but she was way wrong! She was changing to go home when the nurses stopped her since I progressed so quickly. The contractions were painful but I don't think worse than they would normally have been had I started naturally. I held off on an epi till 10:30 and if I had known he would come just 90 min later I wouldn't have gotten it. I did get a 3rd degree tear and that wasn't fun but I've seen women go through c sections and they can hardly walk after. There are a lot of horror stories but mine personally was pretty good :smile:

Rissa6213 May 8th, 2013 05:56 PM

Thanks so much ladies I feel much more informed and much better about possibly being induced. Hopefully I won't be late and I won't need it. And also reading these I would rather be induced now than a C.

MerinSun May 8th, 2013 08:31 PM

Yes, I would much rather be induced than have a c-section *IF* the choice is a true choice and not because something happened that a made a c-section more necessary.

My midwife told me that she would rather I go to 42 weeks again than to put me through another induction. I thanked her for it but I also said that I won't refuse an induction for the sake of refusing one, if it is necessary I will do it. It is much more important to me to bring a healthy baby home than to have my dream labor.

Quote:

The hardest part was that due to the IVs and monitors, etc. I was not able to move around much at all.
YES. During my first induction I was put on a bunch of monitoring equipment and was pretty much told that I had the option of the bed or the rocking chair. It was incredibly frustrating as I was not on any pain medication and rocking on a ball or walking around would have really helped.

During my second induction I was allowed a bit more freedom of movement because I complained really hard about it at the OB/GYNs. I also said that it was ridiculous for me to go for 12-18 hours of PRE-induction drugs before going through who knows how many hours of ACTUAL induction drugs and then labor WITH NOTHING TO EAT. I demanded that I be allowed to consume clear liquids at least through the pre-induction phase. So, broth, juice, etc. This was also allowed.

You *CAN* refuse continuous monitoring. Put it in your birth plan and talk to your doctor about it so that they can put it in your chart for the hospital to see. Depending on what your doctor says this may mean getting back in bed for 15-20minutes every hour or so. But it's better than being stuck.

OH! And if you have a choice of pre-induction drugs ask for the kind that is on a string that gets placed against your cervix! Otherwise you get a new pill/gel placed against your cervix every couple of hours and it HUUUURTS.

Kim3 May 9th, 2013 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rissa6213 (Post 27350393)
Thanks so much ladies I feel much more informed and much better about possibly being induced. Hopefully I won't be late and I won't need it. And also reading these I would rather be induced now than a C.

Your doctor could have provided this option due to literature stating that there is an increase in death after 41 weeks. Placental insufficiency, meconium aspiration, etc. I am all into natural. I would have a good conversation though about the actual risks associated with overdue. I am discussing the same with my doc today (actually at 39 weeks) due to age risks. I want as natural as possible (with an epi) but I want what is healthiest for her. That could be induction.

bribugg13 May 9th, 2013 06:19 AM

I had one with Connor around 40.5 weeks, we started out with a folly bulb (I think that is what it was called) and very, VERY low dose of pitocin. Over the course of almost 48 hours we increased the pitocin a lot, broke my water at some point,but nothing worked and I still ended up in a c/section. I was never really "in labor", I had some really hard, painful contractions around the time they increased the pit but that was about it.