JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Growth scans and fundal height (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2650208-growth-scans-and-fundal-height.html)

Hopeful2BMommy May 13th, 2013 10:46 AM

Growth scans and fundal height

I've had lots of ultrasounds throughout the pregnancy, but only one growth scan (anatomy scan at 20 weeks). My doctor has a very old machine in the exam room, but it really is horrible at this point. I don't think it zooms in and out. So, now, you can only see one part of the baby at a time, never the whole picture. He checks on the heart and etc. using his machine.

Is it normal to only have one growth scan? I'm pretty sure I won't be sent to the hospital for another one. I see that lots of you are getting them periodically and it worries me that I'm not.

My doc also never measures my fundal height so I never know if I'm measuring large or small.

I never know anything about how the fluid measures.

Is this normal??

TeresaV May 13th, 2013 10:49 AM

Re: Growth scans and fundal height

I have not had an u/s since the anatomy scan. My doc does measure my fundal height at every appointment, though. He has never mentioned anything about fluid levels.

navywifey2003 May 13th, 2013 10:52 AM

Yes. Most people usually only get two u/s unless there is concern for extra. Fundal height measurement isn't exactly a science and can be off by 2cm in either direction. And varies greatly by all kinds of things. No worries Hun everything is fine.

Kim3 May 13th, 2013 03:38 PM

My doctor only does a dating, 12 and 20 week unless there is an indication otherwise. For me the indication is advanced age (39)

MamaSkunk May 13th, 2013 03:47 PM

With DD I only had the one. Almost all drs don't do more unless there's a cause for concern. Which means your Dr isn't at all worried. I only had more cause lil man would never cooperate with the tech on letting them get all the measurements but my last one was at 28 weeks. My doc did suggest I may get one more toward the end as even tho I passed my GD test I was really borderline to having GD.

zkat May 13th, 2013 03:56 PM

If you are not having extra monitoring at this point, that is a good thing. It means things are going well and there is not a reason for your Dr. to be concerned.

I get the BPP weekly because I have clotting disorders, which puts me at high risk for early placenta breakdown (which can be very scary if not caught). My dr. also does not measure fundal height.

hilachu May 13th, 2013 05:13 PM

i got 12 weeks, 20, 22 and 28 weeks
the 22 was becaus she did cooperate at 20 and then the 28 was because i was measuring two weeks smaller and they wanted to make sure she was on track for growth and for fluid
i would talk to your dr about your concerns

MissyBee May 13th, 2013 10:09 PM

I had one at the beginning (7 or 8 weeks) for dating and then at 11 weeks the dr brought the old ultrasound machine in bc she couldnt find his hb with the doppler, but we only saw him for a second and then the anatomy scan at 20 weeks. We had another at 24 because he didn't fully cooperate at the 20 week one. We don't get another one to check growth, but I wish we did, I would like to know! I also think it would be helpful since when we did our elective 3D one at 29 weeks he was breech and that way we could make sure if he has flipped or not. My doctor said we weren't worrying about him being breech until 36 weeks and she would check then. I'm not sure if that just means she will try and feel his head when she checks me or if she'll bring in the old ultrasound machine. I do know that I only have a regular appt and not an ultrasound one! So, I guess I'll find out in 2 weeks!

And my doctor hadn't measured my fundal height until today. So maybe they will at your next appt?

mommy220 May 14th, 2013 02:54 AM

I only had two ultrasounds and no plans for another.

With DD, I had one at like 40+ weeks because she was overdue just to check on her fluid.

bribugg13 May 14th, 2013 05:13 AM

I've only had the one anatomy u/s around 20 weeks. Now that I'm seeing the midwives, they never mention guesses about baby's weight or fluid levels. They listen to the heartbeat and measure my belly and that's it. It's definitely different this time around, as last time I was at an OB practice and they did 2-3 different u/s and would guess baby's weight, do internal exams, etc. So it definitely depends on the practice and OBs vs Midwives, IMO.

MarylandMama May 14th, 2013 06:07 AM

As far as u/s goes, I think the standards are the early dating u/s and the anatomy scan at or around 20 weeks. Generally speaking, that is all most places do unless there is cause for concern. I'm pretty sure a lot of insurance companies only cover those two unless there is a demonstrated medical need to have another. We had to have one at 26 weeks to check a choreoplexis (sp?) on her brain that they saw at the 20 week u/s to make sure it was gone on its own. I just had one yesterday b/c I was measuring small and, up to this point, my growth had been pretty steady. I think practices on measuring fundal height vary bc there is not an exact standard for measuring everyone. Different people may measure differently due to weight or how baby is lying. So some doctors just don't do it. If there was any cause for concern, I'm sure your doctor would let you know. And if you're concerned, definitely bring it up and ask why at your next appt. They can probably explain it to you so that you won't be worried.

Actually, now that I think about it, I saw both doctors and midwives with DD and I think it was only the midwives who measured my fundal height. I only see midwives this time around and they have measured at all of my 2nd and 3rd tri appts. Not sure if it has anything to do with anything or not, but just thought of that.

eshute May 14th, 2013 07:54 AM

I had a 13 week, 19 week, 22 week (because she didn't cooperate at the 19 week) and a 33 week. I'm also getting one on thursday. I'm pretty sure it's mostly because of my family's history and because of my weight. They can't see or feel that the baby is growing from the outside.

Most doctors don't do that many and sometimes only do the one. As far as the fundal height measurements, I'm not sure what is normal. I agree with the other ladies though - it sounds like the doctor is confident that you're doing just fine!

cheerfulsunrise May 14th, 2013 08:02 AM

My doctor has the u/s machine in his office, so he does a literally 1 minute u/s at almost every appt, to see heart beat as opposed to using the doppler... He measured the baby at 7 wks, then he has a tech come in one day per week, and I had a more formal u/s at 20 and 22 wks. No formal u/s since that time. Also, he has only measured me one time (at 33 wks). Basically when I go in, all he does is look at the baby's heart for a second (he doesn't even tell me the rate). And I get my bp and urine/wt checked. that is it. I always felt like there should be more... but my husband tried to reassure me by telling me that it is a good thing that the doc doesn't need to do more at the appts.

beatlechicksteph May 14th, 2013 08:04 AM

I've definitely had more u/s than the average person. I had one at 6 wks, 10 wks, 19 wks, 20 wks, 31 wks and 35 wks. The 10 wk one was because they were worried about his heartbeat at the 6 wk u/s. The 19 wk one was because I switched practices, and they did a quick show us the gender, under the table scan before the big anatomy scan. 31 wks was their typical check the growth scan, and 35 was because they were worried about how big he was at 31 wks. I was telling my mom when we go to have our next kid I'll be all spoiled with how many times I got to see this one. My doctor also measures my fundal height at appointments where I haven't had an ultrasound. I'm just a rare case though. I've had no issues this whole pregnancy other than them thinking I have a giant baby.