JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Disgusted with TV (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2650476-disgusted-tv.html)

TeresaV May 14th, 2013 10:20 AM

Disgusted with TV

Since I've been stuck at home all day I've been watching a lot more TV than usual. I end up watching stuff I don't normally watch; like A Baby Story and 16 & Pregnant. Let me just say, it is really disgusting to see how these shows make light of things like voluntary inductions and c-sections. On 16 & Pregnant yesterday, the girl wanted an induction at 37 weeks because she didn't like how her body looked; AND THE DOCTOR AGREED TO DO IT! I wonder how much influence shows like this have on real-life decision making. I'm sure many women (especially those who don't do their research) see these shows and think that's just the way it's done. The fact that some doctors actually concede to their patients over such self-centered reasoning just blows my mind.

navywifey2003 May 14th, 2013 11:15 AM

Re: Disgusted with TV

Baby story is the worst! They actually did have a home birth once. They pick the most dramatic and then they add more drama.

edgeofelise May 14th, 2013 12:06 PM

Those shows totally piss me off. I used to watch before I had any clue about how birth actually works, and I thought it was all fine. The number of interventions is insane!

QueenCrafty May 14th, 2013 06:24 PM

I am so glad I don't have cable anymore! I used to watch A Baby Story during my last pregnancy and yell at the TV. I remember there was one episode where this woman was hoping for a NCB, but her doctor told her she had to have a c-section because she was too short and would most likely have too large of a baby. I wasn't aware of height requirements to have a baby. :rolleyes:

Kyla0709 May 14th, 2013 07:20 PM

I got really upset watching one yesterday. This lady had an induction due to being over due, she wasn't even too over due, maybe a week? Then while she's pushing the baby out, the doctor tells her "when you feel the baby starting to suck back up push past that and just keep pushing!" afterwards she says she tore very badly. Like, hmmm... with advice like that I'm surprised you still have your uterus inside. I don't even know why I watched that episode, they always piss me off.

zombiemommy May 15th, 2013 04:31 AM

I really detest these shows. It shows how stupid and uninformed some people are completely okay with being. Willful ignorance, I say, and I can't stand it.

I really can't stand the 16 & Pregnant and Teen Mom shows. Well, basically anything that MTV does makes me weep for humanity and the future.

beatlechicksteph May 15th, 2013 06:56 AM

I'm so glad I don't have cable, because I would probably be sitting here all day watching these shows, yelling at the tv. *sigh* Sometimes I wonder about humanity.

TeresaV May 15th, 2013 06:59 AM

Every mom on A Baby Story today has had scheduled c-sections. No mention of any health reasons. Another funny thing....not much BFing happens on this show.

QueenCrafty May 15th, 2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeresaV (Post 27365588)
Every mom on A Baby Story today has had scheduled c-sections. No mention of any health reasons. Another funny thing....not much BFing happens on this show.

I remember noticing that too. It makes me wonder if there is editing to avoid seeing it or some sort of formula sponsor for the show.