JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Great Appointment Today! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2650493-great-appointment-today.html)

kelbaby May 14th, 2013 11:40 AM

Great Appointment Today!

I had an appointment this morning. I'm 36w4d. She said I am about 50% effaced and 1 cm dilated. I know that is not a lot, but it's a start. The doctor said she thinks he is around 7 lbs already! We are going in next week for a growth ultrasound and then depending on his size we might be able to make some plans for an induction. I'm not a very big person, so we don't want him getting too big. She also said there is a good chance I will not make it to my due date anyway.
What do you ladies think? Is 50% effaced and 1 cm dilated good for 36w4d or is that pretty typical? As a first timer I don't really know.

4hearts May 14th, 2013 11:54 AM

Re: Great Appointment Today!

Induction based on size isn't something I encourage because they could be off and then you give the baby less time for lung development. I would do more research before you jump into that. From my understanding that much dilation and effacement is typical for that far along.

edgeofelise May 14th, 2013 12:02 PM

Ditto. I'd really recommend letting things happen naturally. Induction for a non-medical reason really increases your risk of more interventions which could lead to c-section or other complications. Size estimates can be really inaccurate, so do your research before letting your doctor talk you into it. Also, cervical checks aren't an accurate indicator of impeding labor. Everybody (and every labor) is different and you could go from 0-10 in a few hours, or walk around at 4cm, 80% effaced for days or weeks. Baby will let you know when it's time!

navywifey2003 May 14th, 2013 12:05 PM

Thats pretty typical for this far along and I agree with Rochelle. U/S for weight are just a huge guess at this point. I have known several moms who are told they are having 10lbs babies schedule the induction and baby is 7lbs. The dilation and effacement could mean you can have the baby tomorrow or you can go to 42 weeks it really has no indication on when you will deliver. I was 4cm from 31 weeks until delivery at 37 and 40 weeks with all my previous children. Hang in there its almost the end!

kelbaby May 14th, 2013 01:42 PM

I completely agree about not jumping into being induced. However, I have a form of Muscular Dystrophy. My muscles are very weak and so I have a chance of having to have a c section anyway. They think I will be ok if he is small enough. So for me it might be a better decision to try and induce around 39 weeks. Of course I want what is best for baby, but I don't think having a rough labor because he is so big would be good for him either.
I want to do everything I can not to have a c section because it will be so hard on my body to recover. I use a wheelchair, so not moving around could cause blood clots and all kinds of things that will effect the recovery from a c section.
It will be a big decision. I hope I just naturally go into labor a little early.

Brie289 May 14th, 2013 01:52 PM

I was 4+ cm and 50% effaced last week at my 36 week appt, doc thinks I will go early but I'm still preggo lol. But with my first I was 0 everything and was induced 2 weeks early for BP so you really never know! Everyone and every preg is different, I will probably go late with this one. :smile:

As for the size I tend to agree with the other ladies but I'm not a doctor and so you do what is best for you and baby.

4hearts May 14th, 2013 01:58 PM

Yea, that does change the situation. I hope for the best possible outcome in this and that you go into labor naturally. KUP!

QueenCrafty May 14th, 2013 04:35 PM

Your condition and inducing labor is definitely something to discuss with your doc. In your case it's possible the pros of early induction outweigh the cons. Definitely make an informed decision though. A mom in one of my other playrooms was induced at 39 weeks because baby was big. He was over 8 pounds (estimated to be 10), but his lungs were not fully developed and he had to spend some time in NICU.

navywifey2003 May 14th, 2013 05:18 PM

That does change the situation. I hope you can make the best decision for you and your baby!

Kim3 May 14th, 2013 05:25 PM

Hope everything works out. I would talk with your doc to get an idea of how "good" he is. I have one doctor that I completely trust. He has 20+ years experience and is the head of the department. He knows the literature inside and out. When he gives an recommendation he always gives an explanation of the rationale. Hope you have a similar doc that you can trust 100%.