JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Good Appointment (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2650681-good-appointment.html)

beatlechicksteph May 15th, 2013 07:45 AM

Good Appointment

So, all those crampy feelings I've been feeling lately? Apparently they're doing something. Doctor checked my cervix this morning, and I'm 80-90% effaced :o I'm only 1 cm dilated though. They had a hard time finding his heart rate at first, until I said that I'm pretty sure he's REALLY low...and sure enough, they went about as low as they could go without going inside me, and there was his heartbeat, 134. Again, as the doctor was checking me, the phrase, "His head is right there isn't it?" came out of his mouth. I get the impression that this little guy is about as low as he can get without coming out of me.

Does the percentage I'm thinned out indicate how close I am to go time? Or can I sit at 80-90% for weeks before this little guy decides to come?

TeresaV May 15th, 2013 07:49 AM

Re: Good Appointment

That's good news! Hopefully he stays put at least another week or so.

beatlechicksteph May 15th, 2013 08:02 AM

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping! If my husband has his way, this child will stay put until his due date. When I told my doctor this, he looked at me like, "Yeah, that's *probably* not going to happen." LOL

Kalynas_Mom May 15th, 2013 08:06 AM

I was the same with DD. She was 10 days early technically but despite the dilation and effacement AND water breaking, my body never got the clue to go into labour nor did my cervix want to dilate without the highest dose of oxytocin haha Sounds like your making good progress though!

I've been 2cm dilated for 4 weeks now but apparently that hasn't really meant much of anything!

cheerfulsunrise May 15th, 2013 08:50 AM

With my 2nd baby i was a few cm dilated and I think 70% effaced for several weeks before the due date, and she was born late! :o

Kyla0709 May 15th, 2013 09:43 AM

From what I know, you only really need to be 100% effaced for labor to kick start, I don't think the amount you are dilated matters as much as actual effacement. So it sounds to me like you probably won't get to wait all the way until your due date!

navywifey2003 May 15th, 2013 09:48 AM

Once effacement is 100% you really start to dilate. The effacement percentage is how thinned out your cervix is so being 80-90 is good but it can still be a bit before you are completely thinned. You probably won't see your edd but you could still have a few weeks left.

MamaSkunk May 15th, 2013 09:50 AM

You can be thinned and effaced and even dialated for a few weeks beforehand. So like all things this time of pregnancy...it may or may not mean anything lol. You could go soon or you could go a week late. Who knows haha

beatlechicksteph May 15th, 2013 01:10 PM

Yeah, I had a feeling that even though it sounds like "WOW! This could happen soon!" that I could still go a while. Part of me is like "I WANT IT TO HAPPEN NOW!" with how low his head is sitting and the fact that even though his head is WAY down there, for some reason I still have feet in my ribs, and I'm tired of these aches and pains. The other part of me is, "You can slow down and wait a little bit." since we still have this move to do.