JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Holy.....engorgement! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2657453-holy-engorgement.html)

loveneverfails June 10th, 2013 03:48 AM

Holy.....engorgement!

BFing moms help! What are ways to relieve this engorgement outside of pumping?

I had to start pumping some to give to Corbin because he was having a rough time and now my milk came in last night and I am SO SO SO engorged. Twins plus pumping is killing me.

I still have to pump a little to keep a back up for Corbin but his nursing is getting better and better but I have enough for a few days in case he ends up needing it. So I'm going to try and hold off on pumping. My problem now is I'm getting so full I feel like I NEED the pumping to relieve it because they aren't emptying me.

That's another issue. Is it normal for babies to sort of slow up on feeding when the milk comes in? Nolan gets going and then as soon as my milk lets down he drinks only enough to make him happy and then goes to sleep. He went from nursing 20 minutes to MAYBE 10.

MarylandMama June 10th, 2013 07:18 AM

Re: Holy.....engorgement!

I have no idea. Is there a lactation consultant at your hospital you can call? I had bad engorgement problems with DD and when I went to the LC, she said be careful what you try bc some things (like cabbage leaves) that people suggest actually dry up your milk. The engorgement sucks, but your milk does eventually adjust to what your babies are using. In the short term tho... yikes. I would try some ice packs to relieve some of the pain. They also make cooling gel packs just for nursing moms that might help with the pain in the meantime. Good luck! And power to you nursing two babies. Me=impressed.

TeresaV June 10th, 2013 07:20 AM

If it makes you feel any better, my engorgement only lasted about 2 days, and then my supply seemed to level off to only what baby needs. Hope you get some relief soon.

MrsLat June 10th, 2013 03:31 PM

To help when I got engorged, I massaged them in the shower or pumped just enough to relieve the pressure to a point I wasn't miserable...

LisaS June 10th, 2013 04:54 PM

I also just pump a little bit to relieve the pressure. DD also nursed just a few minutes when my milk came in and it drove me crazy because I was so engorged! I think now that my supply is leveling out, she's nursing longer. I'm betting she was getting a lot of milk from those few minutes before, and now she's working for it more.

QueenCrafty June 10th, 2013 05:09 PM

I recommend hand expressing too. It's often easier in the shower because of the warmth and you are more relaxed. 10 minutes is pretty short for this age. You want to make sure they are getting the fattier hind milk instead of filling up on the foremilk that comes at the initial let down. I would talk with a lactation consultant, especially because of nursing twins. They might have recommendations on techniques to be sure they are getting the right combination of foremilk and hindmilk. You could also check out your local La Leche League. I have heard really great things about that organization and possibly you might get some tips from twin mamas

Gen88 June 10th, 2013 05:33 PM

For the first week after your milk comes in, you're gonna be engorged even after you feed them and pump. It's normal until your milk settles in. I'm no expert but that's my experience and I received a lot if similar advice from other mommies :)