JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Breastfeeding advice needed, 1st time breast feeding mom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2660416-breastfeeding-advice-needed-1st-time-breast-feeding-mom.html)

princess136 June 21st, 2013 12:41 PM

Breastfeeding advice needed, 1st time breast feeding mom

I did not breastfeed my first two so this is new to me and very important because I really want to breastfeed.

First day she did great at latching on in the hospital with the help of the lactation consultants and nurses. As the night approached though it was so hard to get a good latch, my nipples are on fire constantly. Then first night at home was miserable. I'm getting her to latch but not sure if it is correct. It hurts so much and she would just suck for a few minutes and fall asleep each time no matter how much I stimulated. She was just crying non stop so I gave her a little formula and she sucked it down in no time and finally has been content. Ever since then I cannot get her to latch and she screams terribly when I keep trying. So we have now done 5 formula feedings.

My milk has not come in yet.
-Does it get easier once the milk comes in?
-Is she ever going to latch or did I ruin it by giving her the bottles?

Any advice is appreciated. I am not opposed at all to pumping and bottle feeding her the breast milk as my main desire is for her to have the breast milk, not necessarily having to feed her directly from the breast.

I am really upset and feel like I am failing with my intentions to provide her the breast milk. And so disappointed in the formula feedings.

navywifey2003 June 21st, 2013 12:48 PM

Re: Breastfeeding advice needed, 1st time breast feeding mom

It's possible that she is getting frustrated because it does require work to draw out the colostrum since its a thick substance. When she is rooting look for a wide open mouth, she needs to draw in the areola and the nipple not just nipple. Looking for the widest opening will help her learn to get both parts of the breast. If she is only pulling in nipple gently remove her and try again. You can remove her by pulling down on her jaw this will cause her to open her mouth releasing the nipple. She could be a gassy baby and thats why she's screaming or she can sense you are tense. If you can take some time where you can nurse skin to skin with no interruptions. Put her to the breast every time you think she is hungry or wants to nurse this will help your milk to come in. Not doing this can be causing the delay in your milk coming in.

They cluster feed to draw your milk supply so there is a reason why she seems like she wants to feed all the time. She is trying to stimulate your body to make breast milk.

eiramillek June 21st, 2013 12:51 PM

Popping in from Feb playroom - you can always try a nipple shield to get her latched back on and then wean off that. Introducing formula may have caused a delay in your milk coming in. She might be fussy because she's still only getting the colostrum. My best advice would be to hide all the formula and just nurse, nurse, nurse. It will help your milk come in which will make her happier. It may be a frustrating couple days waiting for it to come in but it will pay off in the long run!

laurenicole June 21st, 2013 01:52 PM

We use a nipple shield and it is what saved me from giving up. I don't know if it was his latch or my nipples, but I was in tears trying to feed him by the third day. The latch looked okay, so idk. then my milk came in and he seemed to get frustrated with the fullness. it was overnight the first night home and I had to give two formula bottles. the next morning we went and got the shield and it's been going great since (he's two weeks now). he will latch directly onto me sometimes now if I let him get started with the shield then slip it off once he gets going.

Kim3 June 21st, 2013 02:22 PM

Hang in there. A lot uf us give a little formula. As long as she keeps suckling your milk should come in If she resists be sure to pump after and I would try the nipple shield. Those first several days are so hard.

sunnydaze June 21st, 2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurenicole (Post 27466699)
We use a nipple shield and it is what saved me from giving up. I don't know if it was his latch or my nipples, but I was in tears trying to feed him by the third day. The latch looked okay, so idk. then my milk came in and he seemed to get frustrated with the fullness. it was overnight the first night home and I had to give two formula bottles. the next morning we went and got the shield and it's been going great since (he's two weeks now). he will latch directly onto me sometimes now if I let him get started with the shield then slip it off once he gets going.

Lilah also seemed to get frustrated with the fullness once my milk came in. They gave me a free manual pump in the hospital and if I use that to express the fullness for a few minutes before feeding her, it makes my breast more pliable for her to latch on. You could try that as well.

princess136 June 21st, 2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navywifey2003 (Post 27466540)
It's possible that she is getting frustrated because it does require work to draw out the colostrum since its a thick substance. When she is rooting look for a wide open mouth, she needs to draw in the areola and the nipple not just nipple. Looking for the widest opening will help her learn to get both parts of the breast. If she is only pulling in nipple gently remove her and try again. You can remove her by pulling down on her jaw this will cause her to open her mouth releasing the nipple. She could be a gassy baby and thats why she's screaming or she can sense you are tense. If you can take some time where you can nurse skin to skin with no interruptions. Put her to the breast every time you think she is hungry or wants to nurse this will help your milk to come in. Not doing this can be causing the delay in your milk coming in.

They cluster feed to draw your milk supply so there is a reason why she seems like she wants to feed all the time. She is trying to stimulate your body to make breast milk.

Thank you for the advice. I do have a nipple shield and I have been trying that but it seems to be harder to get her to latch with that because I am messing with the shield because the sides keeps trying to flip up on her. She doesn't really want to feed all the time so that has me a little worried too. I have had a little more success this afternoon on getting her to latch on and suck but it seems as soon as she latches on she just falls right asleep. I am going to try the full skin to skin nursing at her next feeding time.
-What is a good way to keep her stimulated in sucking while on the breast?
-How long should I keep on her each breast during this period where she doesn't seem terribly interested in breast feeding?
-I think she is feeding or attempting to feed about every 3 hours, is that enough?

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurenicole (Post 27466699)

I did get a nipple shield too to help and that seems to ease the pain of the latch as well. Did you have trouble with the shield trying to flip up on its sides? I feel like I am fighting with it and I didn't go buy it, my husband did, so I am not sure if there are different sized ones? I have size Triple D boobs (Sorry if TMI) so I didn't know if the shields are a one size fits all make or maybe I need to go back and get a larger size? Thanks so much for your advice :)

navywifey2003 June 21st, 2013 06:50 PM

Every 3 hours is fine as long as she is wetting diapers and pooping normally she is getting enough. To stimulate her while she is asleep stroke her jaw line gently. That reminds them to suck.

laurenicole June 21st, 2013 07:52 PM

it does flip up sometimes. when it does I try to flip it down, but he doesn't seem too bothered by it.

Krisnina June 21st, 2013 08:12 PM

I also use the nipple shield...life saver for my preemie with a not so great latch. To stop the sides from popping up run it under hot water, or add the smallest amount of lanolin to the outside of your nipple....it stays when you do that. I also give bottles to supplement him, and he does fine, he prefers the breast, I think it is the feeling of being close. I'm going to a lactation support group next week to try to get him off the shield eventually, it is just a pain to keep washing and putting it on rather than just whipping it out.