JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   BF mommies- shallow latch/nipple pain (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2660615-bf-mommies-shallow-latch-nipple-pain.html)

Lady KW June 22nd, 2013 11:17 AM

BF mommies- shallow latch/nipple pain

We are one week into BFding and still struggling to get that deep latch. Any advice? Most of the time after nursing, my nipples are flat which I know is a sign of a shallow latch. So painful!

navywifey2003 June 22nd, 2013 11:25 AM

Re: BF mommies- shallow latch/nipple pain

Watch her rooting, there will be a point where her mouth will be open extremely wide wait for that then put it in her mouth. It won't take very long for her to realize she needs to open wide.

TeresaMomTo2Boys June 22nd, 2013 11:30 AM

I can't be much of a help because I have flat/inverted nipples to begin with but have you tried a nipple shield? Another thing is actually guide baby to the nipple trying to get the entire nipple and aereola into his mouth? Or even change positions? For me the lactation consultant told me football hold was best for my LO due to his shallow latch. Good luck. Hope someone else can be more of a help!

Lady KW June 22nd, 2013 11:35 AM

Thank you! I've been trying cross cradle, football and side lying positions. Did the shield help you? I'm afraid of adding more complications into our situation with the shield.

TeresaMomTo2Boys June 22nd, 2013 12:18 PM

The shield does help. I'm still recovering from being "chewed up" on one nipple due to shallow latch so I sometimes wear it on that nipple when feeding him if I'm in pain. Mid way through feeding I pull the shield off and relatch and it helps because it pulls the nipple out. The football hold works best for me but the longer he's latched that way the more the other milk ducts get full and I need to reposition. The points at which baby's nose and chin touch are the ducts baby eats from (at least that's what the LC told me) so when he latches and keeps pulling off I reposition him and he eats

TeresaV June 22nd, 2013 02:12 PM

Yes! We are having major issues with that. I have tried doing the lower lip flip and she does not go with it. She latched on great while we were in the hospital. I'm not sure what happened. I have reverted back to the basics, and while I can get her to open her mouth wide, she always seems to slip back to a shallow latch. My nipples are killing me too.

sunnydaze June 22nd, 2013 02:23 PM

I pinch my nipple/areola, like kind of fat sandwich it between my thumb and pointer finger and when her mouth is open really wide I kind of just shove it in as far as I can go. She is usually just so excited to eat that she doesnt try to change latch. This seems to be working for me.

Lady KW June 22nd, 2013 04:05 PM

I'll try the sandwich trick next 😊 Thank you!

navywifey2003 June 22nd, 2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnydaze (Post 27468770)
I pinch my nipple/areola, like kind of fat sandwich it between my thumb and pointer finger and when her mouth is open really wide I kind of just shove it in as far as I can go. She is usually just so excited to eat that she doesnt try to change latch. This seems to be working for me.

I have to do that because my boobs are bigger than her head! :lol:

BeccaMenk June 24th, 2013 06:01 AM

I would not recommend a nipple shield. My DS had a shallow latch and I was in so much pain. I did the shield...and he wouldn't wean from it. In the end I started loosing my supply and had to switch to formula. It does work for some but it can really mess thigns up too. I think it is good for a last resort before you give up.

Also, dd had a shallow latch and sometimes she reverts to it. I have found that using a binky actually helped her learn to suck better. Its worth a try. I used the MAM ones. She isn't really big on them but it helped her get used to the proper sucking motion again.

BeccaMenk June 24th, 2013 06:06 AM

one other thing...really shove the baby into your breast as deep as you can. This helps them pull more in as they suck. It made a big difference for my daughter after I stopped worrying about her not being able to breathe. Now when she reverts to a shallow latch, I really quickly shove her on when she opens.

QueenCrafty June 24th, 2013 12:48 PM

I also do the sandwich trick and just shove as much into his mouth as I can. I was doing the football hold too because he had a tongue tie (clipped this morning yay!) that made his latch really shallow.