JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Update and questions about pumping and caffeine :) (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2661629-update-and-questions-about-pumping-and-caffeine.html)

Gen88 June 26th, 2013 01:02 PM

Update and questions about pumping and caffeine :)

Hey ladies, I'm 4 weeks and 2 days PP the bleeding has pretty much stopped, I just have that light brown discharge you usually get when your period is almost over. I'm 9 lbs away from my Pre pregnancy weight and it seems like it's taking forever for this weight to come off lol. breast feeding is going very good, although very tiring and time consuming I'm enjoying that bond with my babygirl, I'm making enough milk for baby. She's almost 9 lbs :) her birth weight was 6lbs 9oz and 6 lbs 5oz when we left the hospital, she'll be a month old tomorrow. So she's gaining weight normally I would say. I would like some tips to increase my supply so I can pump more and have a nice stash in the freezer. I only have like 6 bottles so far, when I try to pump I only get about 2-3oz on each breast if she hasn't nursed from it and I usually can only pump sometimes when she takes longer naps and both breast get really full because other than that she pretty much empties both breast every feeding. I call her THE BOOB MONSTER lol she loves eating. I would also like to know how caffeine affects a baby, I would like to drink one cup of coffee in the morning to be able to make it thru the day without being a zombie. Last week I had a cup of coffee in the morning and baby was up all night, I don't know if it was from the caffeine or her just cluster feeding since she did nap normally through out the day. So any knowledge from some of you moms who have beast fed multiple children is greatly appreciated :) sleeping is going ok, baby wakes up about 2-3 times at night to nurse and goes back to sleep, so we're getting ok sleep I guess lol. I hope you're all doing great and enjoying those beautiful babies :)

HERE'S SOME CUTE PICS :)

http://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...d9640b538b.jpg
http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...5b771b849e.jpg
http://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...09f1f9b9a8.jpg
http://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...ff8b41a76a.jpg

navywifey2003 June 26th, 2013 01:09 PM

Re: Update and questions about pumping and caffeine :)

First she is precious! And second 2-3oz from each breast is amazing. Since you are not pumping exclusively I wouldn't do anything to increase your supply. You may make yourself over produce which would make things more uncomfortable.'

Gen88 June 26th, 2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navywifey2003 (Post 27479045)
First she is precious! And second 2-3oz from each breast is amazing. Since you are not pumping exclusively I wouldn't do anything to increase your supply. You may make yourself over produce which would make things more uncomfortable.'

When I get 2-3 oz is without her having nursed from that breast at all, I can't really get much out of either breast once she has nursed from them..

MarylandMama June 26th, 2013 01:20 PM

I would kill for 2-3 oz off of each breast after BFing. I get MAYBE 10 oz in a whole day pumping about 4-5 times in the day in addition to BFing. I really wish I could get more. I actually drank a ton of coffee while I was pumping for Anna and it didn't bother her in the slightest. But I know other people who said they couldn't have any or their babies went nuts. I think it just affects different babies differently. I haven't tried it with Lena yet bc she is super fussy and awake a lot in the night without any help, so I am afraid to try. So still decaf for me.

Gen88 June 26th, 2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarylandMama (Post 27479085)
I would kill for 2-3 oz off of each breast after BFing. I get MAYBE 10 oz in a whole day pumping about 4-5 times in the day in addition to BFing. I really wish I could get more. I actually drank a ton of coffee while I was pumping for Anna and it didn't bother her in the slightest. But I know other people who said they couldn't have any or their babies went nuts. I think it just affects different babies differently. I haven't tried it with Lena yet bc she is super fussy and awake a lot in the night without any help, so I am afraid to try. So still decaf for me.

I only get 2-3 oz if she hasn't nursed from that breast, I don't really get any once she's done nursing. I think I'll try the coffee thing again to see if affects her. Maybe that one time it wasn't the coffee and it was just her wanting to eat every 45 minutes.

Kim3 June 26th, 2013 02:04 PM

I do drink caffeine - need the coffee to make it through. Ellianna tends to be up from 3:00 a.m to 6:00 a.m. or 2:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. Then I have an 8 and 10 year old engaged in activities - so I have to be up and running with them. In between I catch up on some work from home. Caffeine is 100% needed. I do drink then extra water. Since BF takes lots of fluid and caffeine de-hydrates, I just drink tons of water along with coffee. :p

Gen88 June 26th, 2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim3 (Post 27479207)
I do drink caffeine - need the coffee to make it through. Ellianna tends to be up from 3:00 a.m to 6:00 a.m. or 2:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. Then I have an 8 and 10 year old engaged in activities - so I have to be up and running with them. In between I catch up on some work from home. Caffeine is 100% needed. I do drink then extra water. Since BF takes lots of fluid and caffeine de-hydrates, I just drink tons of water along with coffee. :p

I'll give caffeine a try again tomorrow, I really need it. I cannot get myself to get out of bed any earlier than 11:30 and feel soooo tired all day long. DS will be starting kindergarten in August so I need to get all of us on an earlier schedule. I hope babygirl is sleeping thru the night by then.

QueenCrafty June 26th, 2013 02:54 PM

She's so cute!! When I was trying to build a stash, I found that I produced more in the mornings. I would nurse Abri from one side and pump the other. I just pumped that one time every day. As for caffeine, I need it! As of now I am just managing to grab just a half a cup before someone needs something, but I usually drink 2 cups

TeresaV June 27th, 2013 11:49 AM

I have been drinking a large DD iced coffee pretty much every day and haven't had a problem. I have been trying to limit myself to the one, though. I have heard that large amounts can affect baby, and some babies are affected by even smaller amounts. As far as pumping goes, 2-3 ounces is fantastic! I usually pump once a day to work on building a stash for when I go back to work. I get about 2-3 ounces also and the pediatrician was impressed. You're doing great!

ltemp45 June 27th, 2013 05:53 PM

I am pumping and FF. I wait two hours after I drink caffeine to pump. I read online this is what one should do after drinking caffeine, but at most I only drink two cups and I think this advice pertained more to people that drink 5 cups or more.

noah and lola's mommy June 28th, 2013 02:49 AM

Pump before she eats in the morning. Supply is highest then. And although you can't get EBM after she eats, she will be able to eat after you pump as babies are more effective than the pump itself.

Gen88 June 28th, 2013 07:40 AM

Thank you so much for the advice ladies :) and I definitely noticed this morning my breast are fuller than they are the rest of the day. Will start pumping one bottle in the mornings from now on :)