JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   To those who pump: (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2662199-to-those-who-pump.html)

Hopeful2BMommy June 28th, 2013 05:08 PM

To those who pump:

How much do/did you pump at 1 week pp?

When I pump, I'm usually getting between 1/2 to 1 oz. I don't exclusively pump. It just seems like such a small amount and doesn't satisfy my little guy at all.

navywifey2003 June 28th, 2013 05:58 PM

Re: To those who pump:

Per breast or both?

KellBell2621 June 28th, 2013 06:22 PM

i've only pumped a couple times, only when she's taking a long nap and i start to feel very full but i'm 1 week pp today and i got about 1/2 oz-1 oz each time (both breasts) but my DD is nursing like crazy, lots of cluster feeds so i'm not too worried. she got weighed yesterday and put on 7 oz in 3 days!

Hopeful2BMommy June 28th, 2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navywifey2003 (Post 27484819)
Per breast or both?

That's total

MerinSun June 28th, 2013 07:52 PM

I exclusively pump right now, so keep that in mind. For the first 2.5 weeks I was pumping every 2 hours, day and night:

Day 1-3: mostly colostrum and I got about 1/4-1/2 an oz. Around the 1/2oz mark was when my milk came in. My milk came in pretty fast with Alex, too.

Day 4-7: 1/2 oz to sometimes an ounce.

Day 7-14: 2-4 oz

Day 17ish: I began overproducing. The heavy pumping schedule coupled with my fenugreek/mother's milk/flax supplements I began to pump 5-6 oz every time. That lasted about 3 days before I finally got it under control by switching to every 3 hours and stopping my supplements.

Day 21-present: 3-4oz every 3 hours. I'm still overproducing because Rowan is only eating 1.5-2oz every 2-3 hours now. But I like having a bit extra to freeze. I am now 2 days ahead of his eating needs. I expect that when he is finally able to switch to the breast that he will be eating 3 oz every 2-3 hours which will match my level of output perfectly :)

MarylandMama June 29th, 2013 07:43 AM

I also got next to nothing for the first few days. Your supply has to build up. How much you build depends on how often you pump and for how long. Lena is getting all of her milk by nursing, but I am pumping to store. I pump abut 4-5 times a day in addition to feeding and I am getting about 10-12 oz per day. (One of those pumps is in the middle of the night.) I pump for 15-20 minutes at a time, usually. Today is day 10 of pumping. At first tho, I was only getting an oz or so between both sides per pump. It took a few days of sticking with it to build supply. It takes a while, but you're on the right track. Your supply will build if you pump enough. You just have to pump a few times a day for long enough.

sunnydaze June 29th, 2013 09:14 AM

I feel like a cow. I get between 4-7oz twice daily. I only pump to relieve engorgment. Once in the mid morning and once in the evening. I breast feed on demand all day.

Kim3 June 29th, 2013 09:19 AM

At 3 weeks pp, I get about 4 ounces both breasts if it has been at least 3 hours since nursing (for instance, my Mom watched Ellianna for us to take our sons out for a special dinner. I nursed at 3.30. At 7:15, I could only get a total of 4 ounces.) The morning is different though. One morning Ellianna slept late and it has been over 3 hours since nursing. I pumped almost 6 ounces from one breast alone. That is super unusual for me. Also, it was a lot less the first week or two. This week really picked up.