JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Car seat question (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2662350-car-seat-question.html)

4hearts June 29th, 2013 11:49 AM

Car seat question

Can anyone tell me some brands of infant seats that are more compact? We went to use the one that we used for DD2 and it's so bulky in our minivan center seats that the front passenger seat has zero leg room bc it gets pushed forward so far. We probably should have gotten a new one anyways and now we plan to. I just don't know which seats would be smaller to fit our van better. Our babies are typically pretty small so a large one isn't needed for growing room.

Thanks for any help.

TeresaV June 29th, 2013 12:05 PM

Re: Car seat question

Our Graco Snugride 22 isn't too bad. It fits in my small Hyundai Elantra and there's still plenty of legroom in the front and side.

kit.kat.81 June 29th, 2013 12:13 PM

We have the Chicco KeyFit 30 system and it fits my tiny Hyudai Accent just fine. :)

Kim3 June 29th, 2013 01:21 PM

I found the Graco Snugride 35 is a little wide in areas - so that might NOT be a good choice for u.

MerinSun June 29th, 2013 01:56 PM

Graco snugride30 is 16.5 inches at widest at the base. When placed in the base the handle can go all the way down. We're very tall and drive a small Toyota corolla. This seat allowed us much more leg room. Babies r us has them. Size it there but buy from kohls using a 30% promo card.

4hearts June 29th, 2013 05:03 PM

TY all for the suggestions. :) I'm leaning towards this one so far:

Graco snugride 30

So the handle goes underneath it when it's in the base?? Because that was the MAIN issue. It went out like half a foot longer because of that.

MerinSun June 29th, 2013 08:30 PM

It doesn't fit under, per se, but it can install safely in the base with the handle all the way down. I checked and double checked the manual to be sure because the handle is what was ruining our leg room happiness as well, lol.

When I go to put it in the car I sit it down, lower the handle all the way, and put it in the base. According to the manual that came with the seat you can also leave it in the carrying position but the manual I downloaded off of Graco's website said that was a no-no, but the lowest position is fine. I decided to err on the side of caution and stick with just putting it in the lowest position. Not too comfortable with the idea that in a crash the handle could snap and become a spike right next to my kid's head.

The base is 16.5 at its widest but the actual car seat does come out an inch or two more than that. It's not bad or bulky and plays nicely with our Radian. If you have two forward facing seats on either side that shouldn't matter, though.

4hearts July 1st, 2013 09:00 PM

We went to Walmart and I do like the look of the 30. I see what you mean about the handle going under. DH is going to look at Costco to make sure there isn't something he'd like better but we may be getting the 30.

MerinSun July 1st, 2013 09:01 PM

I hope it works out for you! Make sure to have them put the demo seat in your car first.