JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Fussy baby (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2663804-fussy-baby.html)

bobbiejo1982 July 5th, 2013 05:23 PM

Fussy baby

Jackson had been doing well for the last 3 weeks he has been home. Just crying when hungry or dirty. Eating well and then being content or going back to sleep. Now the last 2 or 3 days he has been so fussy. Always acting hungry and I feed him and after awhile he is full and don't eat anymore but still acts hungry. He barley ever sits contently now. During the day is is barley sleeping, he acts so tired but fights it constantly. He also uses his nook a ton now but never had to before. He crys and crys but he's not hungry or dirty diaper. His grandma has been staying with us and I feel like this has something to do with it. She holds him constanly and evey time he peeps she is right there. Now he is just never content sleeping anywhere. He is always fussing. She is a huge help and its great don't get me wrong but it seems as he is getting very spolied or something. We had such a good routine going and he was sleeping well everywhere, its totally messed up now. She will only be here 2 more days but now when she leaves I have to try to get the routine back. Most of time nothing seems actually wrong with him. Help! I wont confront her she has been an amazing help.

navywifey2003 July 5th, 2013 05:32 PM

Re: Fussy baby

First off you can not spoil a newborn. So that's not the issue. Sounds like a growth spurt to me. How old is he now?

zkat July 5th, 2013 06:07 PM

I agree on not spoiling a newborn. They do not have the mental ability to be manipulative at this point.

It could be the change in routine has him over tired and he is too tired to out himself to sleep or it could just be his age. He is becoming more aware and alert and wants to take in everything. These "mental leaps" tend to coincide with growth spurts, which also means eating more and less sleep. When B1 was on the cusp of learning a new skill, we had many a sleepless night until he mastered the skill.

I also believe that sometimes growth spurts can be painful. Think about how fast their little bones and muscles are growing. It is pretty amazing.

princess136 July 5th, 2013 06:36 PM

Aubrey has been doing the same thing for the past few days. She is 16 days old now. It is like she is so tired during the day and I get a 20 minute nap out of her and then she is up and fussing. I give her the paci and she takes it for a minute or two and dozes off and then she is back up screaming. I have tried so many different things because I feel like she can't possibly be hungry but she just fusses and eats her hands and clothes and bib and whatever else she can get in her mouth.

Good luck and I hope both of our babies start to sleep better and be content more during the day.

MamaSkunk July 5th, 2013 07:10 PM

I agree you can't spoil a newborn. Probably a growth spurt and cluster feeding. Even formula fed babies cluster feed at growth spurts.

hilachu July 5th, 2013 07:28 PM

this is us right now
Emerson was three weeks on Wednesday
I am ready to have a melt down

TeresaMomTo2Boys July 5th, 2013 07:36 PM

I'm in the same boat. Especially today, he slept 30 minutes since 11am (it's 9:30pm now) and he's still fighting sleep.

bobbiejo1982 July 5th, 2013 08:14 PM

Ok well its good to know he can't be spolied. And I am just going to feed him all he wants. You guys are right he is probably having a growth spurt and maybe being over stimulated. I guess the main problem tonight now is he falls aleep and we put him down and he is wide awake. Tryed putting him down everywhere crib bassinet pillow everywhere. He use to sleep awesome anywhere. Now we hold him and he falls asleep and we put him down and he is wide awake and screaming. Just don't know what to do. I refuse to hold him 24/7 we just wouldn't get a single thing done and no sleep. Although I know alot of you bedshare I am just not comfortable doing it. There's nothing wrong with it I myself just don't trust myself to do it.

QueenCrafty July 6th, 2013 06:23 AM

We're starting to deal with this and Henry is almost 3 weeks old. He was wide awake for 2 hours last night and wanted to eat constantly. We bed share right now which helps. Would your DH be willing to try rocking or walking around after a feeding to try to get him to sleep? I had to wake mine up last night at 5 am because I had only gotten two hours of sleep. He rocked him for a bit and was able to get him to sleep until 8 this morning

MrsLat July 6th, 2013 06:16 PM

He is hitting a period they call "purple crying". There is a website purplecrying.info

It starts at a couple weeks old and can last until they are 3-4 months old. They just cry a lot more than they had before and for no real apparent reason.

So if he has eaten, has been changed and cuddled and he still cries.. its just that he is going through this stage. But the good news is, they grow out of it and he is acting normally. But it can be very frustrating, for sure.

Brie289 July 6th, 2013 06:27 PM

I agree with Valerie, DS1 went through this same phase and now DS 2 has hit it the last couple weeks or so (he's 5 weeks old now). It's tough but just hang in there and go with the flow. I'm actually typing this from the nursery on our iPad, just got him to calm down and asleep but it will be awhile before he's truly out so I'm getting comfy ;).

Kim3 July 6th, 2013 06:28 PM

I know that everyone says you cannot spoil a newborn. I wonder though. Elli was doing so great. Now if she is not physically on me she is screaming (not crying - screaming). She gets bright red, pumps her fists and shakes. I take her - put her cheek to mine and things get much better. (DH can do this and no use). In addition, she hates the house. She wants me to take her outside all the time. I walk outside and she falls asleep. Walk into the house and she screams. Only thing that stops the screaming is me walking her outside with her cheek on mine. I can offer no advice - just hugs :)

crawmommy July 6th, 2013 09:34 PM

Ds is the same way. He just wants to be held all the time so I hold him :) skin to skin is the best thing for them. Research has been done ththat babies that are held more as infants grow to be more outgoing (not the exact word I'm looking for but I can't think of a better word right now...darn sleep deprivation) as they grow older. Secure...secure is the word I'm looking for lol! anyway...moral of the story hold him no skin to skin as much as you can it is great for them :)