JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   A little update :) (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2663952-little-update.html)

MrsLat July 6th, 2013 06:10 PM

A little update :)

Hi Ladies,
I have been a little bit quiet the last couple weeks, so I thought I would update you guys!

I had an appointment with my nuerologist on June 28th, and we went over the results of my latest MRI. There have been no changes in the last 18 months! So that was fantastic news. However, she wants me to try a new steroid that is not breastfeeding-friendly. Before I got pregnant I was doing a weekly injection into the muscle of my legs. It gave me some pretty yucky side effects. This new treatment is taken orally so YAY no more shots. But, I had to give up on breastfeeding :(

I have been feeling a lot of mom-guilt over giving Grayson formula. Especially because he has had a really hard time adjusting to it. He is very gassy, spits up a lot, has reflux. Ugh. I have cried a lot over it. I am glad that he got 4 solid weeks of breastmilk but I was really hoping he would be able to have it the first year.

I started feeling pretty down and having a lot of post-partum anxiety. (Thinking that something terrible was going to happen to Grayson now that he is on formula... because I know how amazing breastmilk is). So I have started my anti-depressant and an anti-anxiety medication. That seems to be helping so that is good.

So he has been a lot fussier lately. It has been pretty exhausting. I hope you ladies are having an easier time than I am.

I will try and be around more. Hopefully we can find a formula that he feels okay on so I am not having to hold him 24-7.

MamaSkunk July 6th, 2013 06:28 PM

Re: A little update :)

What formula? Cause DD was wayyy gassy on enfamil but not similac? Yay for your MS not getting worse!! Don't feel bad about having to stop at least he got 4 weeks of breast milk something is betterthan nothing. Hugs!!

MerinSun July 6th, 2013 08:22 PM

Again I say: BE GRATEFUL that we live in a society and time where we have a safe alternative to breastmilk! You ARE giving your child the best food you can. Your breastmilk is no longer safe for him, therefore each tin of formula you give him IS the best possible thing you can provide for him. He is growing and he is HEALTHY! Kudos to you for taking charge of your own health and caring for your little one :)

I second switching to Similac Sensitive. Alex always had trouble with Enfamil, even the sensitive. Rowan is doing better on it but if he continues to get constipated we're going to switch to Similac, even though that means buying a tin instead of getting a freebie from the doc :(

MrsLat July 6th, 2013 08:59 PM

Right now we are trying Similac for Spit Up. That is helping with the spit up but not with the gas, unfortunately. We have had to give him gas drops at every feeding. We tried Nutramigen and that was a complete nightmare. I will try the Similac Sensitive next.

Thanks for the encouragement ladies. I really do appreciate it. This is frustrating for sure!

QueenCrafty July 7th, 2013 07:47 AM

First of all, it is awesome that you were able to give him 4 weeks of breastmilk! We all know how hard breastfeeding can be, so that is an accomplishment you should be proud of. That's good news about the results of your MRI! Hopefully the new medication will keep everything in check without the side effects. Were you taking Avonex before? My mom uses that for her weekly injections, and the side effects suck but that's been the best option for her.

4hearts July 7th, 2013 09:08 AM

I agree w/the previous posters. You're doing a great job. ((hugs))

MrsLat July 7th, 2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenCrafty (Post 27502271)
First of all, it is awesome that you were able to give him 4 weeks of breastmilk! We all know how hard breastfeeding can be, so that is an accomplishment you should be proud of. That's good news about the results of your MRI! Hopefully the new medication will keep everything in check without the side effects. Were you taking Avonex before? My mom uses that for her weekly injections, and the side effects suck but that's been the best option for her.

Yep, I was on Avonex before.