JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   How to deal with lack of sleep! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2665828-how-to-deal-lack-sleep.html)

mommy220 July 15th, 2013 03:14 PM

How to deal with lack of sleep!

I love everything about having a new baby except I am totally exhausted! Granted, I am only 9 days pp and it seems to be getting better (or I am getting used to it) but I am so tired that I am dizzy and loopy all day. Also, when I do get a chance to lay down during the day and take a nap, I often just lay there for an hour and before I nod off! Does this happen to anyone else? I am not sure if my body is so overtired that it actually has a hard time falling asleep. I never get to that deep REM sleep. I haven't sleep more than 2 hours since I had Eva. I feel like I am constantly in a fog. My husband goes back to work this week and I am scared of how to keep up with my 5 year old. I feel so guilty for being so tired. Any advice on feeling better or how to cope??

Also, she seems to be flipped where she sleeps more during the day then at night. I am trying to switch her over, any advice? I try to keep her awake more during the day but it's hard, especially if we are doing something or errands because she passes right out.

navywifey2003 July 15th, 2013 03:25 PM

Re: How to deal with lack of sleep!

Huge hugs Hun. Payson was similar at that age. But around 2 weeks she figured it out, I didn't do anything special. I do quiet time during Everett's nap and that's when I catch up on some sleep.

QueenCrafty July 15th, 2013 03:44 PM

We have "family rest time" in the afternoon. My girls have to rest (the 3 year old naps and the 5 year old has quiet time) upstairs and Henry and I lay on the couch. I can usually catch an hour nap with him napping on my chest. I'm not getting much sleep at night so coffee is a must in the mornings to be able to function.

shen7 July 15th, 2013 04:10 PM

Day/night confusion sucks. I think letting in as much natural light as possible during the day, and getting them out in the sunshine a few times a day, helps. As does keeping the lights as low as possible at night, keep it dark and quiet.

I feel you on the sleep deprivation. I am getting tiny bits of REM sleep here and there but often getting woken out of a dream once it starts, which makes me even more tired I think. Use caution if you're driving or anything like that, but otherwise just accept the zombie life :lol: I feel sort of brain dead most of the time but luckily at this point the whole diaper change, breastfeeding, wipe up spit ups thing is pretty automatic so I can just get through the day alright. Sometimes I realize how brain dead I am when I am trying to remember something, or someone tries to hold a serious conversation with me or I need to make a decision. Or I see a pic of myself from the past few days and it's like "holy dark undereye circles" haha.

MerinSun July 15th, 2013 09:18 PM

Yeah, expose them to a lot of natural light, keep 'em busy. Then include them in your night time routine, get everything quiet and dim. Eventually they get it. They're so used to when in the womb mom stops moving that meant that they get to wake up and to play.

AndieP July 17th, 2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy220 (Post 27520735)

Also, she seems to be flipped where she sleeps more during the day then at night. I am trying to switch her over, any advice? I try to keep her awake more during the day but it's hard, especially if we are doing something or errands because she passes right out.

Try to avoid doing this if you can. It's a common misconception that keeping a baby awake during the day can help her sleep at night. In fact, it can make things worse.

Your baby seems to be struggling understanding the difference between night and day. Don't worry, some babies just get this easier than others. Make sure her room is clearly bright during the day and dark at night (use night shades if it gets light early morning). Also, be a little distant with your baby at night, try not to talk to her, or disturb her too often, to help reinforce the difference.

During the day, let her nap, but make sure you go outside, and have a fairly active day. Then in the evening, make sure the environment is really calm, to let your baby gradually release any tension that has built up during the day. Try turning the TV off and have some soft music in the background, and don't have visitors round too often. Hope this helps!

Kim3 July 17th, 2013 03:12 PM

I let Ellianna sleep on my chest at night. I know - she "should" be in her crib. It comes down to this for me. I can spend 20 minutes to get her to sleep, place her in a crib for 10 minutes just to have her wake and start the process all over. Option 2 is to let her sleep on my chest and we both sleep (although my sleep is in the oversized chair). In the end, I give in to get the sleep (and I kinda enjoy the time with her).

mommy220 July 17th, 2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndieP (Post 27525450)

Try to avoid doing this if you can. It's a common misconception that keeping a baby awake during the day can help her sleep at night. In fact, it can make things worse.

Your baby seems to be struggling understanding the difference between night and day. Don't worry, some babies just get this easier than others. Make sure her room is clearly bright during the day and dark at night (use night shades if it gets light early morning). Also, be a little distant with your baby at night, try not to talk to her, or disturb her too often, to help reinforce the difference.

During the day, let her nap, but make sure you go outside, and have a fairly active day. Then in the evening, make sure the environment is really calm, to let your baby gradually release any tension that has built up during the day. Try turning the TV off and have some soft music in the background, and don't have visitors round too often. Hope this helps!

Honestly lets face it, when i say i try to keep her awake I really mean just not being afraid to be loud and have her In bright light, etc. there really is no keeping a baby awake at least not her bc she will just pass out anyway, lol. I just mean when she is awake we try to play with her, bathe her, and stuff to keep her from sleeping out of boredom.

AndieP July 24th, 2013 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy220 (Post 27525863)
Honestly lets face it, when i say i try to keep her awake I really mean just not being afraid to be loud and have her In bright light, etc. there really is no keeping a baby awake at least not her bc she will just pass out anyway, lol. I just mean when she is awake we try to play with her, bathe her, and stuff to keep her from sleeping out of boredom.

Oh I see :) Sounds like you're doing all the right things, especially if she's taking enough naps during the day. I'm sure it's a phase which will pass. Good luck!

sunnydaze July 24th, 2013 12:43 PM

copious amounts of coffee