JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Dairy Free (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2666998-dairy-free.html)

Kim3 July 21st, 2013 12:05 PM

Dairy Free

Just wondering who else is going dairy free. With Elli's reflux, we started Zantac on Friday and I cut out dairy (I know - 2 things at the same time will not tell which one works. I needed her to feel better asap though). It appears to be working somewhat (not perfect, but getting improved). I am going just pseudo dairy free though as I still eat a little bread. No milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, regular cheese, butter, etc. Just wondering what other ladies are doing.

MamaSkunk July 21st, 2013 12:50 PM

Re: Dairy Free

Before putting little man on zantac I am trying dairy free and was also told by my Aunt to cut out citrus. To keep little guy completely upright for 25 minutes after each feeding. To only allow him to drink or nurse for small amounts and then burp frequently during small amounts and that so far seems to help just with the keeping upright and small amounts and burping frequently as Im not sure how long the diet changes will take to fully affect my milk supply. Last night was much better though. And I give him his Paci (he loves the Gumdrop one) after I have let him drink about 2.5 to 3 oounces and also was told to not let him get over hungry or too excited before a feeding. And also I burp him about 4 times during a 3 ounce feeding. My aunt and cousin are almost positive that Tristan has silent reflux and both are nurses so I am sure they are right. And my cousins two boys apparently had the same problem. I was also told if he still seemed fussy after all these changes to add in giving him something like gripe water as gas can make it worse apparently. So I will try all these before starting zantac as I am not real comfortable giving him meds without trying natural methods first.

Kim3 July 21st, 2013 01:27 PM

Karry- I hope it works. I was told diet changes can take effect with 8 hours :p We tried the gripe water - she violently puked it all over. Doc did say he could hear the gas in the belly. Sounds like your lo is improving some w/o meds. I agree with holding off on meds if possible. Elli was in such pain though.

Lady KW July 21st, 2013 01:35 PM

I went dairy free as well. I read somewhere it can take several days for dietary changes to take effect. Baby Sloan is doing 100% better without dairy in my diet- what a relief for mommie!

MerinSun July 21st, 2013 02:39 PM

Because I pump and we cycle through what's frozen first, if I cut out dairy it would be an extra week before we could tell the difference (1week to reach the new milk, 2 weeks to clear his system).

loveneverfails July 21st, 2013 05:27 PM

I've cut out most dairy. I will still each small amounts of things that have cooked dairy products in it. Like maybe a small part of a cupcake, bread or something but nothing like raw milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, butter, etc. I usually see a difference in a couple of days but the most difference is at about a week. I haven't made it two weeks yet but I've heard it gets even better then.

I think chocolate might be an issue here too but I just can't seem to give that up. Once I found out that oreos don't have milk in them I can't stop eating them. I need some source of sweet.

Kim3 July 22nd, 2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerinSun (Post 27532787)
Because I pump and we cycle through what's frozen first, if I cut out dairy it would be an extra week before we could tell the difference (1week to reach the new milk, 2 weeks to clear his system).

I just tossed my supply that was pumpede pre dairy free :eek: Not easy to do.

rcjh12 July 22nd, 2013 07:31 AM

I've cut out most dairy, and caffeine. It doesn't seem to help much, but I'm avoiding until after his appt tomorrow.

zkat July 22nd, 2013 08:19 AM

I am strict dairy free. Our whole house is allergic to dairy.

With Bourne, I saw immediate improvement within a couple of days and it gradually got better over a couple of weeks. It can take up to 4 weeks for the milk protein to leave your system, so stay with it. Also, if it is a milk protein allergy (instead of a lactose problem) even the smallest amounts raw or cooked can give the little ones problems. We ate out last weekend and I didn't double check for butter in my food and poor Bodhi has paid for it all week. Eczema took over his face and he has had terrible diapers :(

If anyone needs any ideas/help etc. feel free to ask. I have been dairy free for 3.5 years now.

MerinSun July 22nd, 2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim3 (Post 27533900)
I just tossed my supply that was pumpede pre dairy free :eek: Not easy to do.

I can't do this :|

zkat July 22nd, 2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerinSun (Post 27534678)
I can't do this :|

I understand the pain. I had to do it with Bourne. It made him projectile vomit and just wasn't worth it.

overlinmommy17 July 22nd, 2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zkat (Post 27534193)
I am strict dairy free. Our whole house is allergic to dairy.

With Bourne, I saw immediate improvement within a couple of days and it gradually got better over a couple of weeks. It can take up to 4 weeks for the milk protein to leave your system, so stay with it. Also, if it is a milk protein allergy (instead of a lactose problem) even the smallest amounts raw or cooked can give the little ones problems. We ate out last weekend and I didn't double check for butter in my food and poor Bodhi has paid for it all week. Eczema took over his face and he has had terrible diapers :(

If anyone needs any ideas/help etc. feel free to ask. I have been dairy free for 3.5 years now.

help and ideas if you have any. I have no idea about what to eat. and also I am learning slowly what has dairy but I find it difficult to know what has baked in dairy and what doesn't. any suggestions would help me!

QueenCrafty July 22nd, 2013 11:41 AM

Here's a cheat sheet for dairy

http://www.kellymom.com/store/freeha...en-dairy01.pdf

zkat July 22nd, 2013 11:58 AM

Check out Christy's post - titled Guilty. I linked to some of my favorite vegan blogs. (Vegan - is dairy/meat/egg free and safe to eat. Vegetarian - means no animal muscle, but can contain dairy or eggs.)

The allergen laws require that if a product contains any form of milk (Milk, Whey, butter, cream, cheese etc) it must either be listed in the ingredients or have a warning: Product contains milk.

We use coconut milk - So Delicious brand is our favorite, though some people may prefer almond milk. So Delicious also makes yogurts and ice cream. The textures are a little different, but they taste good. The fake cheeses are gross and are nothing like cheese. I prefer to make a creamy cashew sauce that has a "cheesy" type taste to it.

Again, feel free to message me if you have more questions.