JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   baby in bed... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2667071-baby-bed.html)

Rissa6213 July 21st, 2013 08:22 PM

baby in bed...

What are your opinions on baby sleeping in bed with you? I know they say it's not good because you could roll over onto baby, or the mattress being too soft, pillows blankets etc. I have been sleeping with Axel in bed with me for the last four days and I gotta say we both sleep a heck of a lot better. I have a long size sleep number bed, I just put him near the middle and pump it up to firm and remove all blankets and pillows from around him. I am such a light sleeper that a pin could drop and I'd wake up so I'm not worried about rolling onto him whatsoever. And he is obviously too little to roll off of the bed. Is this horrible? With my husband being gone, it's just such a comfort to wake up next to little man...but I don't want to put him in any danger. Everyone I know including my parents slept in bed with their babies...what do you think?

MamaSkunk July 21st, 2013 09:24 PM

Re: baby in bed...

I love bedsharing with my kids. Babies have been sleeping next to their mommas for thousands of years. I don't think their is anything wrong with it as long as you make sure not to have blankets and pillows near their face etc like you said. I sleep better and they sleep better. I recently also read a study that said that kids that bed shared with their mom for the first year of life grew up to be ten times more confident as an adult than those that didn't(which I think must be true cause my mom bed shared with my youngest bro and not me and my other brothers but my youngest bro is such a confident and self assured young man where the rest of us...well lol yeah we are way more insecure). I also read that the risk of SIDS go down if the baby was near their mom. I say go for it! Come over to the well rested side with the rest of us crunchy bed sharing mamas!

Gen88 July 21st, 2013 10:31 PM

We've been bed sharing as well and we sleep much better, although I wanna get Ariana used to her crib so she can stay sleeping in there at night. For now bed sharing is working for us :)

navywifey2003 July 21st, 2013 10:56 PM

We bed share as well. There are safe ways to share a sleep space with your baby. As long as you are not on any medication, drinking, you are aware of your baby.

MissyBee July 21st, 2013 11:52 PM

I didn't think I would bed share, however I have done it more nights than not since he has been born. We both sleep much better and it's easier to just feed him and go back to sleep without having to get up and feed him. I do try to put him in the bassinet most nights, but if he wakes up more than two or three times in a short amount of time, I just end up putting him in the bed with me. I scoot over towards the middle more and have him on the outside, since he isn't rolling yet, and hold him in the crook of my arm, that way I don't have to worry about my husband and what he is doing with the covers in his sleep!

zkat July 22nd, 2013 03:53 AM

We bedshare, too. I dont think we would do it any other way. The thought of my baby so far away in a nother room keeps me awake.

sunnydaze July 22nd, 2013 05:45 AM

Lilah loves to bedshare, she would do it all night every night if I let her.

I only allow her to fall asleep for about 20 minutes before I move her.

I can't sleep with her in the bed.

1. she crowds me and I worry about her being able to breathe, plus I change positions a lot when I sleep, and I can't do that when she plasters herself to me.

2. I am so aware of her, I can't get into a deep sleep so I drag *** all day the next day.

Madison.Hailey.Zack July 22nd, 2013 06:41 AM

I have mixed feelings on bed sharing. I wont do it if DH is home since he rolls over on me sometimes so I would worry to much. I have put him to the boob and fallen asleep once and DH wasn't not happy about it. He worries just like I do. I have put him in bed to go back to sleep with me once too and made sure he was laying on his back and we both slept good. I normally wait till they are older to allow them to sleep in bed. He is in a bassinet right next to my side of the bed so he's close still.

jhmomofmany July 22nd, 2013 07:01 AM

We have bedshared with almost all of our children. :) "They" say not to, but it is (and has been) the norm throughout the world.

eshute July 22nd, 2013 07:45 AM

SO and I talked about this before Anna was born and we both agreed that we're horrible sleepers and it would not be safe for her to be in the bed with us. I think it's great if you can do it safely, but I am happy with Anna in her bassinet right next to my side of the bed. I can hear her breath, sniffle, hiccup, etc. So no, its not terrible at all.

TeresaV July 22nd, 2013 08:22 AM

THis is one of the many parenting issues that I was "dead set" on before DD was born. DH and I were adamant about not bedsharing due to both fear and concern for potential loss of intimacy. Well, DD sleeps like crap unless she's on me, so now I end up falling asleep with her in my arm on the couch after her first night feeding. I'll bring her to bed with me after DH gets up for work. We sleep so much better, but DH is pretty against it still.

mommy220 July 22nd, 2013 08:32 AM

Right now she is in her rock and play right next to me. But she does come in bed a lot. I am worried about using the Rock and play bc I don't want her to get used to sleeping upright. She us very good about letting me lay her down so I only bring her into bed if she is having trouble going back to sleep.

navywifey2003 July 22nd, 2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy220 (Post 27534254)
Right now she is in her rock and play right next to me. But she does come in bed a lot. I am worried about using the Rock and play bc I don't want her to get used to sleeping upright. She us very good about letting me lay her down so I only bring her into bed if she is having trouble going back to sleep.

We used the rock n play and Everett transitioned perfectly fine to a crib for naps and our bed for bed time once he outgrew it. :)

QueenCrafty July 22nd, 2013 10:13 AM

We bed share too. We had Henry in the bassinet next to me but he woke up so much. DH decided to just cuddle in bed because he slept better. We move our pillows to the edge and put Henry in the middle. He takes turns snuggling up against me and DH so that the other can get a few hours if good sleep

morgankaedenmadisonsmommy July 22nd, 2013 10:24 AM

We bed share too. Gracelyn wakes up and squirms when I put her in her bed, she did this is the hospital too.

KellBell2621 July 22nd, 2013 11:29 AM

we bedshare :) i love it. i love being close to my kids and we sleep the best that way.

beatlechicksteph July 22nd, 2013 12:33 PM

We bedshare on the futon. DH isn't comfortable with him in the bed, and Arthur and I sleep so much better if he's in my arms, it's for the best. I'll start him out in his crib and if he wakes up and won't go back down in the crib, we sleep together.

princess136 July 22nd, 2013 12:59 PM

I'm so glad you posted this as I was just about too. Aubrey sleeps terrible anywhere but in my arms, the couch or my bed. Last night I put her in my bed straight off and she slept for 7 hours!! I'm still scared and wake up often checking on her but I was waking up often before cause she wouldn't sleep well in rock n play or playpen. Not ready to put her in her crib on other side of house.

edgeofelise July 22nd, 2013 01:09 PM

We bedshare, too. I didn't do it with DD because she preferred her swing, but Henry's a mama's boy and only sleeps well next to me. His crib is in our room so we'll work on transitioning him in a few weeks, but while he's still so little I know there won't be much success just yet. For now we're just doing whatever works!