JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   ? for Moms who bf and feed in a bottle (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2667640-for-moms-who-bf-and-feed-bottle.html)

Kim3 July 24th, 2013 09:47 AM

? for Moms who bf and feed in a bottle

With Ellianna's reflux, the doc suggested that I make sure to limit the size of her meals to about 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 ounces. Since she gets exclusively bm, I have been pumping and giving it to her in a bottle. Question is that I know her stomach grows and babies eventually eat more than 2 1/2 ounces at a time (and she WANTS more). She will be 7 weeks on Saturday and is about 11 pounds. Just wondering for other moms who give babies bm in a bottle, how much and how often? Sorry to have so many reflux questions - just want to get her feeling better. (Were told to up the meds again today).

MarylandMama July 24th, 2013 10:23 AM

Re: ? for Moms who bf and feed in a bottle

I do 3 oz in a bottle, but I only use a bottle once a day in addition to breastfeeding. I did only pumped milk in bottles with Anna and, at this age, I did 3 oz every 3 or so hours, whenever she was screaming that she was hungry. I still went by her demand. But 3 oz was/is enough to satisfy her. Lena has reflux, too, and we haven't had problems with that amount. We also use the comotomo bottle. It has two air vents to prevent too much swallowing of air and they have been really awesome. And her latch in it is just like her nursing latch, so we have had no problems with the back and forth. Just thought I would share since we have had far less air, gas, and spit up issues since switching to this bottle. But even nursing, without the zantac, she spits up like crazy. It was worse with the bottle until we switched to this kind.

Hopeful2BMommy July 24th, 2013 10:27 AM

Eli takes 3oz whether it's breast milk or formula every 2 hours.

QueenCrafty July 24th, 2013 10:42 AM

I'm going to be the voice of dissension here, but I don't mean it to be taken negatively. I am really curious why your doc suggested you switch to bottle feeding. I understand the idea of not over-filling her stomach to avoid more reflux. My concern on bottle feeding is that it is much easier to eat faster and over eat because there is no change in flow like with breastfeeding. And then wouldn't that exacerbate the reflux?

I do relate to the stress of trying to find something that works with reflux. Abri had it and never would take a bottle even if she was being babysat, so limiting milk by bottle feeding would never have been a solution to try for us. Our option was limiting nursing sessions to just one breast in addition to meds.

zkat July 24th, 2013 12:23 PM

To answer your question - Bodhi takes about 3 - 3.5 oz every 2.5-3 oz at daycare.

I am also surprised at the suggestion to bottle feed. The excess air that can get in their tummies would make the reflux worse.

Kim3 July 25th, 2013 04:22 AM

I think the doc suggested the bottle b/c I had no idea how much she was drinking. He said her tummt can only hold 2.5 to 3 ounces at 6 weeks and anything over that would cause the tummy to push it back up. If I pump in the morning, each breast gives me 4-5 ounces. At night it is more like 2. I nurse her through the night and early morning and evening. Then she gets the bottle at other times. I nursed her at 5:30 this morning from one breast. Pumping the other now at 7:00 and getting 5 ounces.