JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Inoculations (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2667913-inoculations.html)

beatlechicksteph July 25th, 2013 01:42 PM

Inoculations

Arthur goes in for his two month appointment tomorrow, and he's getting his first round of inoculations. What can I expect when I go in? When I looked on the pediatrician's website, I noticed that he'll be getting inoculated for four different things. Does that mean four separate injections? The website also said to bring in baby tylenol to give him before the doctor sees him and after he's weighed, does that mean he's going to be in pain after the shots? I'm making DH go with me because I don't know if I can handle him getting all these shots and screaming. The jaundice stuff was super painful for me, I'm not looking forward to tomorrow's appointment.

Mom2LillieAidan July 25th, 2013 02:20 PM

Re: Inoculations

It probably will be 4 different injections. The Tylenol is to relieve any lingering pain and also to reduce any fever. Fever is typical after vaccinations. Chances are he will be in some pain but most likely he'll just want to nurse extra and snuggle a lot.

hilachu July 25th, 2013 02:37 PM

dont forget sleep!
anytime my kiddos have gotten shots they just get sleepy

edgeofelise July 25th, 2013 02:42 PM

Our ped only recommends Tylenol if baby seems really uncomfortable, otherwise it's best to just leave him alone. DD was fine and just really sleepy for a few hours but woke up later that evening burning up and screaming so we put her in the ergo and took a walk and gave her some Tylenol. She passed back out and was just fine after that. It's hard to watch but it's over quickly. Hugs!

zkat July 25th, 2013 02:59 PM

All babies react differently to shots, so I would see how Arthur feels after them before dosing him with Tylenol but that is just me. What is normal is low grade fever, extra sleepy, slight swelling in the thighs where the injections are given and over all crankiness.

If you are not comfortable with 4 injections, you can request to space them out. We do no more than 2 vax'es at a time and never two new ones. I also delay all vaccines until after 6 months, except for DTap.

Our nurse suggested I nurse B1 during the vaccines at this age and it was the best suggestion ever! I also nursed Bodhi during the heel pricks for jaundice and it went much smoother.

TeresaV July 25th, 2013 03:08 PM

Ugh, I'm dreading the 2 month appointment. Morgan's is Wednesday. I took the afternoon off of work so I can snuggle her and try to make it better. Thanks for the info on the Tylenol. I'll bring some with me just in case.

navywifey2003 July 25th, 2013 03:11 PM

I believe its 2 injections and an oral vaccine but I could be wrong. I would wait on the tylenol to see how he reacts first he could be totally fine and not need anything.

Mom2LillieAidan July 25th, 2013 03:16 PM

I second everyone's advice about the Tylenol. I won't be giving Aidan any before his appt (on Wednesday) but if he has a fever flare up, I will.

8miraclez July 25th, 2013 04:15 PM

They usually combine shots. Jocelyn got 3 shots and an oral med. She only cried until I fed her, then passed out. We never gave tylenol.

ashleykathleen July 25th, 2013 07:30 PM

They are usually combined into 2 shots and 1 oral at my pedi. My kids usually run a fever and get very sleepy. I only give Tylenol if they start running fever.

Karen78 July 25th, 2013 08:35 PM

Oh yeah I forgot about the sleepiness! When my older boy was 2 months he slept for 7 hours (hardly waking to nurse or when I changed him).

beatlechicksteph July 25th, 2013 09:25 PM

thanks for the advice ladies! I'm feeling much better going into tomorrow now, having a better idea of what to expect!

ashleykathleen July 25th, 2013 09:49 PM

Found a picture of my son after his 2 month shots. He felt like absolute crap. He was way worse than DD. I really hope Mac gets off easier than Kiefer did. Although, the 2 month shots were his worst reaction.

http://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...79381a8b83.jpg

MamaSkunk July 25th, 2013 10:12 PM

I do the exact same thing as kat. We delay VAX until after 6 months except Tdap and we don't allow the Hep B they give at birth also until after 1.

mommy220 July 26th, 2013 02:14 AM

We space them out. I could never give 4 at once. :(

eshute July 26th, 2013 03:59 PM

Doc said last time not to give the baby tylenol unless they have a fever or are really, really uncomfortable. Like others have said, all babies react differently. Normally with some extra cuddles and nursing/feeding they calm down pretty quick afterwards (I only know this because I worked with a doctor that saw peds and I've given lots of babies vaccinations.) I remember one family in particular that would ask to use the room for about 15 minutes after the vaccine so she could nurse the baby and when they came out, he was fast asleep. Just keep tylenol on hand and be prepared for some crankiness. Also, you can choose to space out the vaccines. The most I've had to give in one appointment is 4 plus an oral vaccine. It's pretty rough having to give them to a baby and be the bad guy, too. Just be sure that if the nurse asks you to hold your baby's arms or legs, that you hold them tightly. We had one mom that let go of her baby's legs and the baby's leg got all scratched by the needle because he kicked furiously. Luckily, I was not the one that was giving the baby that shot and was called in after the incident to hold the baby down. It's a sucky situation all around, but babies get over it pretty quickly.

ETA: Also, if you don't want to hold your baby's arms or legs, just ask them to get another nurse or get the doctor to help. They should have no problem with that.

Madison.Hailey.Zack July 26th, 2013 04:21 PM

The shots are always harder on me then they seem to be on the babies. I believe Zack will get 3 and an oral. The nurse at our doctors will get all set up and start the band aid so it's a quick process. I always held them after and they calmed down long enough to get back home. Then they slept a lot more the rest of the day.