JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Vitamin D Drops (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2670706-vitamin-d-drops.html)

Kim3 August 7th, 2013 04:34 AM

Vitamin D Drops

Just wondering who is using these drops At Ellianna's 7 week check up, the paper said to use them. I asked the ped and he said it is recommended by the AAP but that he does not really recommend them. He said they treat 200 babies to help 1. He said the reason is to prevent rickets and that Ellianna did not look at risk at all. (I call her my chunkey monkey - now 24 inches and 12 lbs 1 ounce). He also said just take her on some stroller rides outside. The handout did recommend it though for breastfed babies. Just wondering what other ladies were told.

loveneverfails August 7th, 2013 05:04 AM

Re: Vitamin D Drops

We were got that as well. I just make sure to get them outside each day.

eshute August 7th, 2013 05:14 AM

They ask us every time we go to the doctor if she's on them, but they haven't told us anything about it yet. I suppose my doctor just isn't a big advocate of them.

Madison.Hailey.Zack August 7th, 2013 07:15 AM

I give them to Zack. I asked his doctor if going outside often was enough and she said there wasn't enough studies to prove that it was enough so she still recommended the drops. He won't take them straight so I fill a little 1 oz bottle the hospital gave us and I put them in there and give it to him after he's nursed. I'm not consistant on giving it everyday though. I'd say he gets it 5 days a week.

navywifey2003 August 7th, 2013 07:40 AM

Our ped didn't even mention it. We didn't give them to our older kids either.

Mom2LillieAidan August 7th, 2013 08:11 AM

DD's pedi mentioned it when she was a baby, but I I started supplementing shortly after so she never got it. Aidan's pedi hasn't said a word about it so I don't bring it up.

ashleykathleen August 7th, 2013 10:05 AM

Our ped recommends them for breastfed babies but I don't give them and the ped is ok with that. They weren't even recommended for my oldest so it is something fairly new. I didn't give them to Kiefer either...mainly because he was already on so many other meds I didn't want to add another one in.

Joanne Nicole August 7th, 2013 10:19 AM

Our family doctor just gave us some at Finn's 2 month appointment yesterday and recommended that we use them since he's exclusively breastfed. I'm not overly concerned about it at the moment since it's nice out right now and he gets plenty of outside time. But come fall and winter I'll probably start using them since we don't get much daylight up here in Canada during that time of the year.

TeresaMomTo2Boys August 7th, 2013 11:14 AM

my pedi told me that i have to give Trey Vitamin D drops because the breastmilk does not produce that or enough of it and he needs it. i take him out in the pool about 1-2 times a week and take him for walks in his stroller or just take him outside to see the trees and feel the grass but i give it to him anyways.

MrsLat August 7th, 2013 11:30 AM

Do it! There have been many studies recently about the Vitamin D connection between deficiency and a whole host of diseases. Multiple Sclerosis is a big one, (that is why I pay attention). There isn't any harm in doing it if you give them the recommended amount and you could potentially help prevent many autoimmune diseases in the future. Why not, right?

beatlechicksteph August 7th, 2013 02:24 PM

I give Arthur them. My ped said that breastmilk doesn't have any vitamin d, so that's why you need to supplement. She even said if we wanted to give a multi-vitamin that wouldn't hurt either. So we give him one that has A, C and D. Surprisingly it was less expensive than the one with just D.

TeresaV August 8th, 2013 03:39 AM

Yup. The ped recommended them at her 3 day old appointment and she's been getting them since. We use Enfamil's Tri Vi Sol. She certainly doesn't love them but she'll take them.

jhmomofmany August 8th, 2013 05:40 AM

When Lucy (our 3yo) was around 8 months old she got dropped and broke her leg. The orthopedic doc tested both of us (because I was bf'ing) and our vitamin D levels were really low; he said that probably contributed to the injury. Anyway, he told me to start taking large doses of Vitamin D3 twice a day, and he said she would get plenty through my breastmilk if I did.

We just can't get enough sunshine where we live.

MissyBee August 8th, 2013 07:12 AM

I give them to Porter. The doctor said I should as long as he wasn't getting any formula. He said that there was recent research that linked all kinds of things to babies getting/not getting vitamin d. (I of course cannot remember what they were, but it was more than what they used to think/recommend them for.)

Steph625 August 8th, 2013 10:20 AM

Leif pediatrician's told me 20 min of indirect sunlight is enough Vit D for a week but Leif is not EBF so we don't worry about it regardless.

kit.kat.81 August 10th, 2013 07:08 PM

We give DD vitamin D. First tried D-Vi-Sol and it upset her tummy. One ML was a lot to give an infant and it has coloring and sugar etc. We switched to Carlson's baby vitamin D drops and LOVE them. ONE DROP a day on a paci or my nipple and she's good. No taste, no added ingredients, no tummy upset. Pure vitamin D. Plus one bottle has a full year's worth of doses for the same cost as the D-Vi-Sol. Much easier than trying to get her to swallow a whole mouthful of liquid!

Amazon.com: Carlson Labs Baby Natural Vitamin D Drops, 400 IU, 10ml: Health & Personal Care

MrsLat August 10th, 2013 09:42 PM

^^ I ordered the same drops! It makes it so easy.