JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Dairy Elimination (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2671329-dairy-elimination.html)

TeresaV August 9th, 2013 04:25 PM

Dairy Elimination

I started a dairy elimination diet on August 1st due to Morgan's awful gassy, crampy belly problems. She was to the point where she was fussy a majority of the time and constantly gassy. Her poop was mucousy at times and it seemed to hurt her while she was straining to go. For the last 3 days or so she has shown some improvement. I know it can take up to a month to get the dairy through both of our systems. Here's my question: Has anyone else tried a dairy elimination diet? If so, how careful were you with reading labels and checking for hidden dairy ingredients? I'm driving myself crazy reading labels for everything. It's truly amazing how much of our food contains dairy.

Kim3 August 9th, 2013 04:49 PM

Re: Dairy Elimination

I started two weeks ago to the day. I am pretty careful. I use almond milk - which really helps me be able to still enjoy some foods. I say I am about 99% dairy free. If the label says less than 2% milk then I still use a little (such as Smart Balance for butter). In addition, if it says it is processed in a plant that contains dairy, I still eat it. However, I usually try to look for Vegan items (at Wegmans' their brand has a V on it - if so, I know I am safe). At first it is hard, then it becomes easier. Here was today's meal:

* Coffee with almond milk
* Sobe life water
* Pop Tart (please no judging - I needed something sweet) - You need to look at the box - some do contain mil.
* Banana
* Penne Pasta with marinara meat sauce
* bread with olive oil
* Water
* Steak Sandwich (no cheese)

We also do:
Salmon with brown sugar and pepper on top
Rice with Smart Balance
Steamed veggies with smart balance
Some brownies are OK
Pot Roast with Potatoes and Carrots in the crock pot
Grilled Chicken breast with bbq sauce
Fresh fruit (I get lots of melons, chop them up on a Saturday and keep them in the fridge for something fast).
Cereal with almond milk
Almond Milk Smoothie

Generally I find I can do a meat and fresh veggies and fresh fruit. The hard part is eating out (cause everything is made with butter) and processed foods are nearly impossible.

loveneverfails August 9th, 2013 04:52 PM

I wasn't careful early on and it didn't seem to help Corbin quite as much as it does now. Now I'm extra careful and make sure to ask when I'm in restaurants. It sucks but I'm getting use to it.

MrsLat August 10th, 2013 05:49 PM

Kim--There is a Smart Balance made with Olive Oil that is completely dairy free if you find you need it in the future.

I have been trying out a dairy free/vegan diet as a way to help MS. These are some things that help me:

-Almond milk for cereal and smoothies
-Soy milk for cooking
-Smart balance with Olive Oil if I desperately need butter of some kind
-My favorite website is ohsheglows.blogspot.com. She has really great vegan recipes that you could easily add a protein to. And lots of sweet recipes.

Sorry you are facing possibly having to remove dairy. It is definitely hard, but it does get better!

TeresaV August 10th, 2013 06:56 PM

I'm on day 10 with no dairy, and I have to say Morgan is already doing MUCH better. Me on the other hand...not so much. I want ice cream!!! :tantrum:

loveneverfails August 10th, 2013 07:25 PM

I tried an almond milk ice cream and it is really good. The only thing I noticed was that the texture of real ice cream isn't there. So I end up only wanting to eat a few spoonfuls which in return is probably a good thing. Haagan daz sorbets though....I can eat a pint in one sitting.

Kim3 August 11th, 2013 06:19 AM

Valerie. THANK YOU. Sincerely. I am going grocery shopping today and I am definitely getting the olive oil Smart Balance. I so want a piece of cake. I am going to make it with almond milk and olive oil smart balance. (My mom made me dairy free blueberry muffins and they were SOOOOOO good).

Katie and Theresa - I know what you mean about ice cream. I was eating some every night (and the 49 cent ice cream cones at BK this summer were killers. When I bf, the weight melts off so I use it as an excuse to eat all the goodies.) DH made me homemade ice cream out of almond milk and coconut milk. It is SOOOOOO good.

Can you tell that I am craving goodies.