JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   BTDT moms...how is this one different? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2673793-btdt-moms-how-one-different.html)

sunnydaze August 21st, 2013 05:32 AM

BTDT moms...how is this one different?

I felt like an old pro when I was pregnant. All cocky like "I got this!" cause I actually knew what I was doing by now....

But this baby is different with a different set of needs that is making me feel like a new mom all over again.

She needs held all the time.
She is fussy with gas problems.
She doesn't sleep as much as the boys did.
We got thrush I never had before.
She requires swaddling when my boys both hated it.
She will only use the "soothie" pacifiers
She is not fond of Daddy. The boys think Daddy hung the moon.
She wants to sleep in mommy's bed. (the boys were never allowed in it)

Did I mention she needs held all the time?

Joanne Nicole August 21st, 2013 07:13 AM

Re: BTDT moms...how is this one different?

Oh my gosh. Since day 1 of my pregnancy, everything has been the exact opposite. I breezed through my first pregnancy - no sickness, no pain, no limited mobility...easy peasy. This time I was sick all the way through and was in so much pain that I couldn't walk the last few weeks. However, my first labour was nearly 3 days long (at home!) and this one was less than 3 hours start to finish (in hospital). Fiona was just under 8 lbs, Finn was just under 10 lbs. Fiona was colicky, never slept, screamed for hours and hours on end, wouldn't breast feed, and vastly preferred daddy over me. Finn sleeps through the night, breast feeds like a champ, is happy and content, and is 100% a mamma's boy. I had major PPD with Fiona and with Finn I feel happier than I have...well, pretty much my whole adult life.

So yeah... My two experiences with pregnancy, childbirth and caring for an infant have been polar opposites.

navywifey2003 August 21st, 2013 09:14 AM

Payson is pretty laid back. Which Everett was but David and Katelynn were so needy. Huge hugs ladies, I hope things calm down soon!

wildchihuahua August 21st, 2013 09:19 AM

Yup, my kids have all been pretty different. My two youngest though both like(d) to be held all the time. Hence why I LOVE my Moby. lol

QueenCrafty August 21st, 2013 12:02 PM

Henry is laid back like Lily was, but this time I can enjoy it because I don't have PPD. He's a good sleeper at night like she was (he is up only once around 4-5 am), but he has problems napping without me during the day. I will take it over a fussy baby like Abri was.

bribugg13 August 21st, 2013 12:13 PM

TOTALLY different!!!

She LOOOVES sleep - Connor still gets up 1-2 times a night and doesn't sleep in his bed all night. She's been STTN pretty much since 2 weeks! She naps very well during the day usually also. And she sleeps in her bassinet all night, C ended up in our bed very early on.

She liked to be swaddled for a couple of weeks, - C wanted nothing at all to do with it
She loves to be carried in the ring sling - C didn't care for babywearing until he was about 6+ months
She had latch issues in the beginning - C was a champion nurser from day 1

Luckily she's just as laid back as C was, they were both VERY good babies, no colick, no crying for no reason, easy to please

I'm more excited about and looking forward to her development, as Connor had a lot of developmental delays and we had to do speech therapy and physical therapy with him in early intervention. He never hit milestones on time....so late, in fact, that a lot never made it to the baby book! I'm hoping that she will hit milestones early or at least on time, so I can see what that's like!! We're still dealing with some physical/gross motor delays now, but no more therapies at least.

It was very hard with Connor, especially being in a playgroup with him, I felt very disconnected from everyone else - and ended up losing touch with everyone - because he was so far behind. So if anyone starts to experience that and needs someone to talk to, I'm your girl!

eshute August 21st, 2013 12:13 PM

Seeing as I'm a FTM, I can't compare, but this is why I'm scared of having another baby. Anna is fairly laid back as far as babies go and I'm afraid that if I would have another baby, he/she would be super needy. I can hardly handle it when Anna has a bad day...I can't even imagine having a baby that has a bad day every day.

*hugs* I hope things get better soon.

princess136 August 21st, 2013 12:38 PM

I forgot how hard a baby was and how scary it can be.
My last baby was 9 years ago so I feel like a FTM and check her breathing all the time and worry about this and that and everything else under the sun.

Aubrey is a happy medium between both girls though.
Harley was a breeze and slept through night at 6 weeks and reached all milestones very early.
McKenzie didn't sleep through until 6 months and was developmentally delayed on many things (she was a preemie).
Aubrey sleeps through the night and is a pretty content baby, if you are holding her. which is crazy because I know the daycare doesn't hold her all day and she refuses to nap on the weekend unless she is sleeping on me. But at daycare she naps like a champ in the swing or bouncer. Hmmm? :)

4hearts August 21st, 2013 12:39 PM

Emmaline has been the supreme easy baby out of the 4. I always felt like she would be when I was pg with her. They say God only gives you what you can handle so I KNEW she would have to be semi-easy or I'd lose my mind. She doesn't care for lying still for too long though. Likes movement such as her swing. She'll swing for hours without fussing and I have to remember to take her out bc she won't complain.

She isn't very interactive and smiley and observes ppl most of the time. DS was like that as a baby too so I'm sure she will grow out of it like he did.

One thing is she wants me and no one else. Even my mom (the baby/animal whisperer AKA "snow-white") isn't enough for Emmaline. It's Mommy or the swing.

Madison.Hailey.Zack August 21st, 2013 02:53 PM

Zack is pretty laid back. He gets his business done and goes right back to sleep during the night. He's been a pro at breastfeeding right out of the womb. The girls both had issues with latching on. He could take or leave the binkie which both girls had to have. He's my chunky butt compared to the girls. Even with Hailey being what I thought was a chunky butt till he came along :D

PurpleStar August 21st, 2013 03:28 PM

For sure Giana is different from DS but not in a bad way. Just like her brother, she is a happy smiley baby and a great eater & sleeper. She started signs of STTN at 5wks with 5-6hrs and at 8wks shes now at 8ish hrs.

Whats different is def being more of an arm baby and she responds to being wraped up for comfort or settling where as DS was totally cool being loose & sprawled out (floormat, bed, couch) and hated being wrapped up/covered...still does! Also, DS wasn't BF'd and Giana is a champ at it!

shen7 August 21st, 2013 03:46 PM

They are/were both pretty big chubby babies. G just a bit bigger though. They look very similar except obviously G is a boy, and darker coloring and hairier, and he has some distinctive crinkles on the top of his ears. But their features and the types of faces they make, their expressions are similar.

G is way more laid back than M though. She was a fighter and a screamer and a very opinionated and energetic creature right off the bat. G is generally peaceful and quiet and although he will yell when he has to, the second you pick him up or take the wet diaper off of whatever, he is immediately relaxed again. M used to work herself up and take awhile to calm down again! They are both generally happy though. I never thought of M as an unusually difficult baby, she was just a bit... passionate. Energetic. She wasn't upset all the time or anything, but when she was, oh boy she'd turn it up to 11. G gets upset more infrequently and when he does, he never approaches her intensity level. I think he's a very easy baby in general.

He also sleeps better than M did and doesn't need to breastfeed as often.

MerinSun August 21st, 2013 08:36 PM

DS1 was (and is!) very intense and needy. He always needs us to engage him and do things with him. I could hardly get anything done when he was a baby and I can barely get anything done now! But with Rowan...man! What an easy baby! So laid back and chill. There are times I sort of forget we even HAVE a baby. So quiet! It actually is very relieving to hear him scream and cry...it's rare but it makes me feel better to know he has it in him :)

Gen88 August 22nd, 2013 09:15 AM

EVERYTHING is different this time around, starting from the pregnancy!
Ariana is a diva!
My son was such an easy baby, he would barely cry. He was so Independent and slept great, by 2 months old he was sleeping thru the night. He was always smiling and giggling, anything amused him. Ariana is totally a different story, she's a very serious baby lol it's very hard to get her to giggle. She's a pretty good napper but still wakes up multiple times at night. She loves to be held (in certain ways) overall she's a really good baby, but very needy! She also loves only the "soothie" pacifier. DS didn't care much for a pacifier.

ashleykathleen August 22nd, 2013 10:13 AM

For me, it seems my girls have been very similar: laid back and easy to please. Then there was the super difficult fussy and always sick little boy sandwiched in between...I don't think I could have handled another one like him.

McKinley sleeps almost all night long, only wakes once around 4-5am. Kiefer, at 2.5, still wakes up and tries to sneak in my bed 4-5 nights out of the week.

McKinley eats like a champ and rarely spits up. Kiefer had acid reflux so bad he would projectile vomit after almost every feeding and he ruined our furniture.

McKinley hates to be swaddled and prefers to stretch out when she is sleeping. Kiefer had to be swaddled for entirely too long...I think it was at least 6 months.

Finally, Kiefer had to be held 24/7. Thankfully, McKinley can be out down now and then and still be perfectly happy as long as she is full.

dmreed32 August 22nd, 2013 03:38 PM

The parents here are more different than the babies. Basically I am old and tired now haha. Luckily, DH is WAY more helpful this time around. I think he was scared the first time and didn't ever really have Easton alone until a year old. Now, he has no problem taking them both wherever

hilachu August 22nd, 2013 08:03 PM

Emerson sleeps so much better than her brother
She's had more issues with formula/belly but we're on a good path