JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Say it isn't so.... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2674153-say-isnt-so.html)

~Traci~ August 22nd, 2013 11:17 AM

Say it isn't so....

I have been trying to get her to love her binki, but I think the thumb is winning the battle. :rolleyes: DD #1 was a binki girl, and I was hoping the same would be true for Harper. Something about thumb sucking makes me cringe. I think it is the teacher in me that wants to yak when I see a third grader sucking a thumb then turning in a paper that I have to grade. Yuck!

Anyway, BTDT mommas, should I keep pushing the binki or just let it be. Once she starts thumb sucking, will she stop on her own? How do you break the habit at an early age? Thanks for the help!

http://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...a3d7037b0c.jpg

QueenCrafty August 22nd, 2013 11:26 AM

She's so cute!! I have no advice though. I've not had a thumb sucker yet. My sister's kids suck their fingers when they have their loveys. So as long as she distracts them with other activities they forget about their fingers

bribugg13 August 22nd, 2013 07:58 PM

Re: Say it isn't so....

Awww! Cute! I keep thinking that Peyton will find her thumb as well, she sucks/chews on whatever she can get in her mouth...a thumb, a finger or 3, her fist, her whole hand! I never introduced the pacifier to Connor, and didn't plan on it with Peyton either. I'm sort of torn because I think I'd rather her have a paci that I could take away, rather than her thumb! Interested to see others responses here too!

hilachu August 22nd, 2013 09:00 PM

We're in the same boat with Emerson
DS hated the bink and never found his thumb
Emerson really hates the bink and loves her thumb
We used to be able to use the pacifier to try and calm her down when we were out but now she won't even take it
I'm just going to roll with it
I was a thumb sucker and so was my mom

MarylandMama August 22nd, 2013 09:21 PM

We knew that we were fighting nature trying to get Anna to take a paci. We have an u/s pic of her sucking her thumb. She used the paci until she could get her thumb to her mouth regularly. As soon as she could do that, it was bye bye paci. At 3, she is still a thumb sucker. I sucked mine until I was 6. My parents bribed me out of it. I wanted a Barbie horse like crazy. Why? I have no idea, but I did. So I quit and they got me the horse. I don't have any memory of ever sucking my thumb at school or around my friends tho. It was when I had my blankey and was tired.

Lena is also sucking her thumb, but still takes her paci, too. I know the thumb will win, but we try. In good news, that pic you posted is sooooooooo adorable. So not all bad. :)

MissyBee August 22nd, 2013 10:16 PM

Porter has found his thumb too. I'm hoping it's because he just seems to be more aware of his hands now, but I guess we will see!

MerinSun August 23rd, 2013 11:59 AM

I was ecstatic when Alex opted for this thumb instead of the pacifier. Sooooo much easier. He only sucks his thumb now when he is tired and once he's asleep it pops out. I don't worry about it.

sunnydaze August 23rd, 2013 01:27 PM

my nephew is 9 and had to get serious dental work due to sucking his thumb FOREVER!

It is scary. I think it is okay as long as you don't let it drag out for years.

Lilah sticks her whole hand in her mouth then has a 10 minute meltdown when she gags herself.

Kim3 August 23rd, 2013 05:46 PM

Ellianna will not take the paci. She uses her entire fist ot my knuckle. Not 1 of my three would take a paci and the first 2 never really thumb sucked

mommy220 August 25th, 2013 06:00 AM

Eva will not take a pacifier. She puts her hand in her mouth and slurps like crazy, then she will accidentally bite herself and cry. Lol