JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   silly question... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2675605-silly-question.html)

overlinmommy17 August 30th, 2013 05:42 AM

silly question...

I woke up engorged around 430 am for the first time since having my baby.... (I have had a crappy supply as you all know and have still been taking supplements etc....) anyway I jumped up freaked out because my boobs were uncomfortably full and hard and grabbed my sleeping baby so she could eat. I then pumped 4 oz. I read that if u become engorged it can drastically decrease supply. Is that true? Do I have anything to worry about? I'm super crazy over reactive when it comes to my breastmilk I know but although this is my fourth child its the first time I have breastfed past one month so I'm a little clueless.

Sorry bout that run on sentence!

KellBell2621 August 30th, 2013 08:14 AM

Re: silly question...

i'm not positive, but i think becoming engorged alone wont decrease supply but if you're engorged consistently and don't pump or feed then that would decrease a supply. the more you use them the more you make! so if anything i'd assume your supply is increasing right now

MamaSkunk August 30th, 2013 08:16 AM

I haven't heard anything about that but it seems possible cause then it means that you have gone too long without nursing. My supply was also crap though.

MissyBee August 30th, 2013 08:52 AM

I think that if you woke up several days in a row engorged and didn't do anything about it (nurse or pump) then your body would think you didn't need the milk at that time and it would stop making so much then. At the same time, if you do nurse or pump then it should tell your body you do need the milk at that time and it should keep making it. So, basically supply and demand. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that!

shen7 August 30th, 2013 09:37 AM

I think you did the right thing and it is a great sign for your supply increasing :) I have a good supply and did with DD too and am often engorged in the early morning. If G can't remove it well, I might have engorgement well into the day, and then a day or two later it has settled down again. Whenever he has a growth spurt he pulls in excessive new supply and it has to rebalance. But some early morning engorgement is very normal for me. Hope that helps!

ashleykathleen August 30th, 2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissyBee (Post 27621574)
I think that if you woke up several days in a row engorged and didn't do anything about it (nurse or pump) then your body would think you didn't need the milk at that time and it would stop making so much then. At the same time, if you do nurse or pump then it should tell your body you do need the milk at that time and it should keep making it. So, basically supply and demand. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that!

This exactly. Being engorged itself won't decrease your supply but not doing anything it will. That's why, in the beginning when most women become engorged as their milk comes in, it's not recommended to pump to relieve the discomfort. Pumping will only tell your body that you need all that milk so it will continue to keep making that amount, therefore making you continue to be engorged.

So long story short, if you have been struggling with supply, you did the right thing. I would say if this is the first time you have been engorged it sounds like your supply is picking up so good for you!!!

Kim3 August 30th, 2013 02:36 PM

Elliannna sleeps some nights and nurses every 3 hours other nights. On the nights she sleeps I wake up engorged and pump any extra. It is a great way to build a freezer and keeps up the milk for the nights she is up every 3 hours. I say pump :)

overlinmommy17 August 30th, 2013 07:36 PM

Thanks girls!!!!! I'm so thankful for all of your knowledge!!!