JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Formula, what a rip! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2676284-formula-what-rip.html)

MerinSun September 2nd, 2013 09:01 PM

Formula, what a rip!

I have dropped down to 5 pumps a day and surprisingly my output is staying about the same. But because my milk is so fatty the feeding pump won't send it all down the tube so in the morning I have a bag of butter and a kid who was fed flavored water all night, lol. At first we switched to all formula at night. Then he got constipated. So now we mix the breast milk with formula and thankfully that works.

But formula is so expensive! $24 for a canister that will last 3 days, maybe! I'm buying the economy packs and using checks and coupons but my Lord! I told DH that he needs to be more patient with me when I go to pump because I'm saving us a good chunk of change.

Formula moms, how do you do it?

MamaSkunk September 2nd, 2013 09:28 PM

Re: Formula, what a rip!

WIC that's how lol.

sunnydaze September 3rd, 2013 05:00 AM

I am furiously selling off all the clothes she outgrows on ebay, along with all my other kid's clothes. I am also buying formula off ebay. It's cheaper and it gets delivered to your door.

ALSO and this is going to sound awful but some WIC moms sell their formula on craigslist dirt cheap.

You can get a can of similac sensitive here off craigslist for 8 bucks a can.

Too bad my girl can only use gerber soothe.

dmreed32 September 3rd, 2013 06:25 AM

Luckily he does best on.the Wal-Mart brand. If he could only tolerate the expensive stuff I'd be in trouble! I used all the samples and what my mother in law bought of similac and enfamil and he spit up a bit. He's done much better on the cheap gentle stuff whew

beatlechicksteph September 3rd, 2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnydaze (Post 27628151)
Too bad my girl can only use gerber soothe.

Tania, I have can of gerber soothe that I got in the mail. I'm ebfing, and was trying to find a place for the can so it wouldn't go to waste. If you're interested, message me your addy and I'll send it to you.

I also have a can of gerber gentle if anyone wants it :)

Kim3 September 3rd, 2013 08:13 AM

I get coupons and exclusively bf. I can mail Similac coupons if someone wants them. I get Gerber ones as well at times.

MrsLat September 3rd, 2013 11:26 AM

Anyone who feels the desire to send formula or coupons can send them my way :p Gray does fine on all formulas so far. And yes it is very expensive. I use coupons whenever I get them and then I buy the rest from Sam's Club because it is ALOT cheaper and Gray does great on it.

beatlechicksteph September 3rd, 2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valerie.June2013 (Post 27629065)
Anyone who feels the desire to send formula or coupons can send them my way :p Gray does fine on all formulas so far. And yes it is very expensive. I use coupons whenever I get them and then I buy the rest from Sam's Club because it is ALOT cheaper and Gray does great on it.

Valerie, send me your addy here or on fb and I'll send at least one canister your way :)

sunnydaze September 3rd, 2013 02:56 PM

I am going to look into buying formula from Sam's club now. I had no idea.

I wish she could tolerate other formulas, but she really really can't.

mommy220 September 3rd, 2013 03:02 PM

Oh wow! I had no idea it was so expensive. I see the prices in the store but I have no idea how long it lasts to get an idea.

Kim3 September 3rd, 2013 04:03 PM

Whoever wants my coupons, pm me your address.

PurpleStar September 3rd, 2013 04:06 PM

I get Gia's from Costco...we buy her the similac sensitive for 30 bucks a canister. Eventually we hope to switch her over to Kirkland brand - its 19.99 a canister. We did the same thing with DS and by 4mos we had him on kirkland and it money saver. Lasted even longer once he started on baby food/solids.

MerinSun September 3rd, 2013 05:07 PM

I'll take Enfamil or Similac checks. I have some yellow tin Enfamil (sample size) someone else can have.

Oh, and today Alex got a hold of a newly opened container of formula. Anyone want to guess what happened and how long it took to clean up?

Mrs_lynn.c September 3rd, 2013 07:32 PM

My son uses the kroger brand knock off of simalac advance. I have a ton of formula he cant use. I have Nutramigen Enfamil Simalac Isomil soy formula. He has colic so the other formula was thought to help but made it worse so now i have formula he cant use and we spent a small fortune on the Nutramigen.

hilachu September 3rd, 2013 08:05 PM

id look at store brands as the other ladies have suggested along with bix box stores, coupons, call up the brand to see if they can send you samples (enfamil does this), doctor's office samples, craigslist
Not sure how one can only makes it 3 days though?
we're using the small 8 ounce cans and that will last maybe 3 days but you can get a 24 ounce can for $20 and that should last a long time especially with still supplementing

MerinSun September 3rd, 2013 10:10 PM

It's because we fortify. 3 scoops for 5 oz.

bobbiejo1982 September 4th, 2013 03:20 PM

Hey ladies check out my thread about insurance helping pay for formula. Its worth looking into