JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Kids tablets (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2685133-kids-tablets.html)

bribugg13 October 11th, 2013 10:53 AM

Kids tablets

Do you (your kid) have one? I'm thinking this would be a good gift for Connor for Christmas or his birthday next year. I'm looking at the Nabi, V-tech Innotab or Leapfrog Leappad......experience with any of them? This is one of those purchases where I can't make up my mind without doing a TON of research first!!

I mainly want it for educational purposes, the music, games, etc. would be a bonus, he can't read yet but eventually for ebook would be nice as well. He has an ipod touch for games already, and he uses my husbands iPad as well....but something that will grow with him would be great. He's 3.5. :)

zkat October 11th, 2013 12:27 PM

Re: Kids tablets

Bourne will be 3 in Dec. and has the Nabi. He also uses our first gen ipad. If I had it to do over again, I would buy him used Ipad. He will grow into the Nabi and like it, but right now, his favorite apps are all apple based and not available for the Nabi.

The Nabi is durable and will def. grow with them, but Bourne is so used to the ipad and swiping etc. he gets frustrated so ours Nabi doesn't get a lot of use.

MamaSkunk October 11th, 2013 12:43 PM

I am getting DD the Innotab 3S for xmas

QueenCrafty October 11th, 2013 02:17 PM

Lily has an Innotab and likes it but it was the first generation. I'm considering a new one for Abri so that it has a camera and the girls can share games. We have a 1st gen iPad that they use a ton, but mostly to watch YouTube videos

MerinSun October 11th, 2013 03:52 PM

We're considering a Nabi Jr. for Alex :)

Kim3 October 12th, 2013 05:11 AM

The boys have iPads - however, they are 9 and 10.

I have to add - that I personally have neither.

Joanne Nicole October 13th, 2013 09:09 AM

Since DH works in IT, we've always got spare laptops around. DH and I each have one, and so does DD, and we've got a spare that we hook up to the TV so that we can watch Hulu and Netflix on the TV.

DD has had her own laptop since she was about 2. She can navigate a computer better than some adults I know. She has access to the kid's movies and cartoons on Netflix, and she mostly goes on ABCmouse.com - a really great educational website that I highly recommend. She also has icons on the desktop for her nighttime lullabies that she falls asleep to, and a few cd's that came with books so she can read along to them.

Since she has the laptop I've never felt the need to get her a tablet. It's not really portable for car trips and whatnot, but honestly she's so plugged into technology at home, I think she's fine just reading books or playing with toys when we're out.