JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Are any of you giving your baby a taste of baby foods before 6 months? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2686036-any-you-giving-your-baby-taste-baby-foods-before-6-months.html)

Hopeful2BMommy October 15th, 2013 02:52 PM

Are any of you giving your baby a taste of baby foods before 6 months?

Just wondering if all of you are waiting until 6 months to start baby food. Our pedi says 4-6months for formula fed babies and 6 months for breastfed. Since Eli will be 4 months this week, we are planning on giving him a taste within the next month. Just maybe a taste a day. I know this is a hot topic, and I'd like to know your opinions on solids before 6 months and reasons for waiting.

navywifey2003 October 15th, 2013 03:00 PM

Re: Are any of you giving your baby a taste of baby foods before 6 months?

My reasons for waiting are their guts are still immature at this age, even a taste can constipate them. And food before 1 is just for fun. Their main source of nutrition should be formula or breastmilk until age one. I wait for signs they are ready, reaching for table food is a main sign. At the end of the day you know your child best, and you have to make the decision you feel is best for him.

Hopeful2BMommy October 15th, 2013 03:06 PM

I def wouldn't feed him baby food in place of his bottles. It would just be a taste for fun. If he doesn't want it or doesn't do well with it, we will just wait til later. But it's soo tempting to try! haha. I want to see his reaction.

loveneverfails October 15th, 2013 04:07 PM

I will follow their cues on foods. They both are interested in me eating ( I tend to a lot while nursing). Nolan opened his mouth at an apple slice the other day. I let him gum it for maybe 2 seconds.

Hopeful2BMommy October 15th, 2013 04:35 PM

Eli does that too

QueenCrafty October 15th, 2013 04:45 PM

I'm not doing any tastes until 6 months, but Henry does watch food. My girls never did, so this might be interesting.

shen7 October 15th, 2013 04:51 PM

Since we do 100% self feeding in the early months, if G shows all the readiness signs and is fussing through dinner because he wants to grab our food so badly, yeah, I will give him a taste of some soft veggie or something :) there is actually some recent research on this and waiting until 6 rather than 4 months has no effect on things like allergies, health later in life, etc... BUT the earlier babies start solids, the lower the duration of breastfeeding. It is just an association (correlation is not causation) but because it is such a strong effect, peds are encouraged to tell BFing moms to delay until 6 months in case that causes them to BF longer. From a public health perspective that makes sense, however I am not too concerned about breastfeeding G long enough, I was still going strong with M well past a year when I stopped due to pregnancy drying me up and making it painful. I also just don't believe in paying too much attention to these arbitrary numbers, I prefer to tune into my baby and base it more on his needs. I mean, if he's not showing interest in foods until 9-10 months or whatever, then I would wait until then.

Joanne Nicole October 16th, 2013 06:10 AM

I want to breastfeed as long as possible, but Finn is SO ready to eat. We're waiting until 6 months to start giving him food, but I have let him taste a few things. He sits in his high chair with us at meals and sees us eating, and tries his hardest to grab at whatever is close by. The few times I've let him lick/gum foods for a few seconds, he goes at it voraciously.

Kim3 October 16th, 2013 09:29 AM

I will likely start cereal around 5 months and then food at 6. Given that, Elli has already tasted the icing of an Oreo :p I had one and oh how Elli loved the lick of icing. I am fine with it one way or the other.

MamaSkunk October 16th, 2013 03:46 PM

I refuse to give food before 6 months as it has been proven to increase chances of diabetes and obesity. Food before one is just for fun. Their stomach really is immature and not ready for it. Our pediatrician also says no food before 6 months. And my aunt and cousin who are nurses and deal with babies every day say that you shouldn't be feeding them before 6 months. So based off studies,my Dr, and the nurses in my family I will not be feeding him before 6 months. Curiosity killed the cat. Be patient and wait til he is 6 months. You have all the time in the world to feed him food after that.

TeresaV October 16th, 2013 05:40 PM

I'm waiting until 6 months, especially due to BFing. Our ped said to hold off until as close to 6 months as possible, unless Morgan seems endlessly hungry. She has zero interest in my food and seems satisfied after nursing. I am in no rush, although I too am curious to see how she does.

KellBell2621 October 16th, 2013 08:11 PM

i'm waiting until 6 months. i might give her a taste here and there if she seems interested but she hasn't really shown any signs yet. plus i want to exclusively breastfeed her as long as possible.