JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   How long will you bf? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2691744-how-long-will-you-bf.html)

Kim3 November 12th, 2013 02:28 AM

How long will you bf?

Just wondering how long everyone plans on breastfeeding. With my first two I bf and pumped until 12 months and hen nursed morning and evening until 18-19 months. People are already commenting "Are you still doing "that"?" I cannot wait to stop pumping but think I will do the same as I did with my boys. Pump until a year and then slowly wean until about 18-19 months. Anyone else go past the year?

QueenCrafty November 12th, 2013 03:03 AM

I will BF for at least a year, but most likely extend past that. I BF Abri for 23.5 months, although I gradually cut down to a few times a day by 18 months and then mornings only by 22 months, I only BF Lily for 5 months. I hate that you are already getting a negative reaction!

beatlechicksteph November 12th, 2013 06:02 AM

Re: How long will you bf?

I plan to bf for at least a year, and then slowly wean.

Madison.Hailey.Zack November 12th, 2013 07:31 AM

I plan to breastfeed at least a year if not longer. I BF Hailey till 13 months but she weaned herself and I think its because I got pg with Zack and it affected my supply. I FF Madison.

MissyBee November 12th, 2013 08:38 AM

I'm planning on at least a year. I'll see how it's going and how he's doing with solids and how I feel about it at that point, but I have a feeling that I will probably continue at least at morning and at night for longer than a year. We will just see when we get there! I love breastfeeding, so I know I will probably have a hard time weaning.

KellBell2621 November 12th, 2013 01:01 PM

my goal is at least a year, i'd like to get to two years but we'll see. i'd like to let her self wean

navywifey2003 November 12th, 2013 01:39 PM

Id like her to self wean.

jhmomofmany November 12th, 2013 08:50 PM

My others didn't wean until somewhere between 2 1/2 and 3 years old. This one, I'd like to wean when he is ready. But I may have to consider weaning him after 12 months since my BP has remained so high my doctor wants to do further testing and may need to try medications I can't take while nursing.

TeresaV November 13th, 2013 05:04 AM

I will stop pumping at a year because I hate it so much. I'm hoping to nurse a little longer than that, though.

TeresaMomTo2Boys November 13th, 2013 12:39 PM

if i make it to 6 months YA (one more month to go) and then I hope to make it at least a year. 6 months was my original goal as my first was formula fed so I wasn't sure how long I would be able to BF

Gen88 November 14th, 2013 08:45 AM

My goal is a year then I will gradually start weening her, I can't believe I'm about to hit the 6 month bf mark, big accomplishment for me. So happy I made it this far!

MerinSun November 14th, 2013 05:11 PM

I plan on pumping until January. And then I will most likely be quitting. I just want to get through all of Rory's surgeries and things. Breastmilk is considered a clear liquid so he can have it up until a few hours before any procedure that he needs to be asleep for. Otherwise he'd have to go 8-9 hours without :S I will be saving a few bottles for when his G-tube gets turned into a button/MicKey for the same purpose :)

With my first I kept nursing until I got pregnant and dried up. He was 16/17 months. With any future babies I plan on nursing for as long as we both like it. It's such a wonderful experience and I miss it terribly.

Kim3 November 14th, 2013 05:16 PM

Merisun - you are an amazing woman. Don't know I could do all that you have done :)

bribugg13 November 14th, 2013 07:57 PM

Connor weaned at 2.5 when I got pregnant with Peyton. I will let her wean when she wants as well.

Joanne Nicole November 15th, 2013 06:13 AM

I'd like to go at least a year - I only made it a couple of months with DD, so this is all new territory for me with Finn. Although I'm already getting pressure from my dad and step-mum (who I live with) to give it up. Their reasoning? "He'll sleep better if he's full from cereal and formula", "You can get your life back", and my favourite - "He doesn't look like a newborn anymore, he looks like a little boy. Little boys shouldn't be breastfed, it's creepy." Ugh. give me a break.

overlinmommy17 November 15th, 2013 06:38 AM

I can't believe I'm about to hit the 6 month BF mark....! Wow. What a journey. I hope to continue well past a year and let her self wean.