JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   JustMommies Article Commentary (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1108-justmommies-article-commentary/)
-   -   Addressing Potty Training Myths (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1108-justmommies-article-commentary/1612085-addressing-potty-training-myths.html)

quietsong June 25th, 2009 04:42 PM

Addressing Potty Training Myths

Quote:

Some kids potty-train themselves in days; others don’t get the hang of it for weeks and may continue to have “accidents” for months or even years. But before you get frustrated about how long it takes for your kids to fully master this skill, you should be aware of a few myths about potty-training – and brush up on the facts.
Read more

quietsong June 25th, 2009 04:42 PM

One of the worst things I

One of the worst things I keep being told is how toddlers should be trained by 3! It seems to be such a prevalent belief, and yet looking at my almost-3 year old, there is no way he would have been ready to even start until this past month. I certainly don't expect to be done by his birthday! I'm so glad to see that some of these things ARE myths.

mom_2_2boys September 9th, 2009 07:38 PM

yes i keep hearing that when

yes i keep hearing that when you child is one to thirteen months old they should be train to go to the potty but my 2 1/2 which will be 3 in dec we have tried almost everything fro letting him pick out the potty chair to his faviorte undes and etc and nothing seems to work so if i am doing something wron pls some one give me some advise

SamuelsMommy February 19th, 2010 09:59 AM

It's nice to know that 3

It's nice to know that 3 isn't the magical age that some people think it is. We've struggled for so long with our almost 3.5 year old, he started peeing on the potty around 18 months but has refused to train, only going when he feels like it. I think we're finally making some progress now!

MidgeMadge February 19th, 2010 11:26 AM

Re: Addressing Potty Training Myths

3 wasn't the magical age for us, either ;) My daughter is almost 4 (in less than a month) and was only trained a few months ago.. and actually still wears a diaper at night, she won't wake to pee! She's day-trained, though. But, it seemed like everyone around us the same age had been potty trained for ages! It's nice to know it's "normal" not to be, as well.

queenofthecastle February 25th, 2010 08:57 AM

I agree that each child is

I agree that each child is different and there is no magic number to start or finish potty training. I've had 2 not be completely potty trained until 4 while my last was potty trained at 3. Two that took a year to train and one that trained in 3 weeks. It's important to not force a child to start training when they aren't ready.

mommy2Breana+Brandon February 26th, 2010 12:00 PM

Re: Addressing Potty Training Myths

THis is good to know . Thanks Breana is 2 1/2 and I feel she was behind but glad to know she isn't :smile: