JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   JustMommies Article Commentary (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1108-justmommies-article-commentary/)
-   -   Boys and Guns: When Boys’ Games Get Aggressive (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1108-justmommies-article-commentary/1615751-boys-and-guns-when-boys-games-get-aggressive.html)

pattyandthemoos June 29th, 2009 10:46 AM

Boys and Guns: When Boys’ Games Get Aggressive

Quote:

No matter how they are raised or what situations they are exposed to, young boys seem to have an almost universal interest in gun play. Even boys who grow up in the most anti-gun households – or boys who grow up surrounded by their sisters’ toys – are drawn to shoot-em-up games.
Read more

pattyandthemoos June 29th, 2009 10:46 AM

Jeremy likes to play with toy

Jeremy likes to play with toy guns and also loves to watch the military channel. I liked this article. I thought it gave some good tips for moms of boys. I like that he is interested in hearing about history, but I am trying to make sure he understands that wars actually involve killing people and not just cool explosions and neat looking tanks.

EC0629 June 29th, 2009 03:22 PM

Re: Boys and Guns: When Boys’ Games Get Aggressive

I agree!

MommaTrish July 13th, 2009 10:38 AM

My boys are not allowed to

My boys are not allowed to have realistic looking guns, and we actually prefer them not to have any. But as the article said they'll make them out of anything. But I love some of the tips they gave, I'll have to try a few out.

NanaNeecie February 23rd, 2010 09:47 PM

Misquote.... "Make it a rule

Misquote.... "Make it a rule that they are allowed to point a toy gun at a person."
I agree that it was intended to read 'they are NOT allowed', and I like the idea of targets, esp. of 'monsters', as that reaffirms the good vs. bad, and allows them the control over their environment needed.
I advise water pistols for fun, age appropriate play. They are never realistic, and consequences are felt, yet fun and comraderie is established.

Madeline410 February 25th, 2010 06:15 AM

I loved this article!! Very interesting.

Kelly February 28th, 2010 06:59 AM

Awesome article, we are one

Awesome article, we are one of very few in our circle of friends who allow toy gun play. We do not allow real looking guns, but anything from space guns to nerf guns to squirt guns is fine. Or anything they happen to make a gun out of is fine too.

The way I see it, all of my family that are boys, grew up playing with guns, as did my friends' brothers and none of them are violent now as grown ups.

little_pockit February 28th, 2010 08:52 AM

we truly believe that even if you do not allow your boys to play with toy guns, the fact of the matter is that a lack of positive attention is what breeds undesirable behavior. we have no problem letting our boys play with toy guns. they go as far as building their own out of LEGO.

Carwen*Angel March 9th, 2010 08:16 AM

This is great advice. I have

This is great advice. I have been wondering (and worrying!) about this as mother to a very boisterous 3-year-old-boy. Bookmarking this for reference when the time comes!

klacey41 March 9th, 2010 11:39 AM

Good article. We let our boys play with toy guns as long as they don't point them at anyone.

Pam1976 March 15th, 2010 12:40 AM

i agree, i always tell my boys not to point a gun at a person. I take this very seriously