JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   JustMommies Article Commentary (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1108-justmommies-article-commentary/)
-   -   Breastfeeding a Premature Baby (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1108-justmommies-article-commentary/1880649-breastfeeding-premature-baby.html)

rabbitranch February 19th, 2010 12:16 PM

Breastfeeding a Premature Baby

Quote:

Breastfeeding, although it may be more challenging with a preemie, is one great thing you can do to help your little guy or gal get off to the best start.  Breastfeeding provides the perfect nutrition for a premature infant because your breast milk automatically adapts to your baby’s needs; something formula just can’t do.  This is so important for a premature baby because
Read more

rabbitranch February 19th, 2010 12:16 PM

Excellent article - I

Excellent article - I strongly encourage all moms of babies in the NICU to hang in there and not give up hope on establishing a successful breastfeeding relationship - my 30-weeker spent 6 weeks in the NICU and was either tube fed or bottlefed breastmilk that whole time, but came home and was able to switch to exclusive nursing with no ill effects or nipple confusion. We went on to have a 26-month nursing relationship! I am forever grateful for that.

twinsplusone November 18th, 2010 02:14 PM

Re: Breastfeeding a Premature Baby

My twins were born at 32 wks and went on exclusive breastmilk from the time they were 2 days old. For a mom who has a preemie (or two), breastfeeding can be the most empowering thing, because you are giving your baby a gift only you can! It's hard continuing to bf when the preemies come home, because they need so many extra feedings, but it is sooooo worth it!

Delekatala December 29th, 2010 07:31 AM

my twins were born at 29

my twins were born at 29 weeks. I pumped for 3 months, then my supply just ran out. Definitely set an alarm and pump at night, and pump as often as you can. Pumping isn't easy, Kudos to any mama that does it for any length of time!

SharronMangold October 7th, 2012 07:54 AM

I enjoyed reading this

I enjoyed reading this

axis December 21st, 2012 03:24 PM

This is a great article. One

This is a great article. One of the most helpful that I have read on the topic. I am more interested in how to breastfeed a nicu/preemie when they come home. How to go from exclusive bottle feeding of expressed milk to exclusive breastfeeding and what to expect with that.

axis December 21st, 2012 03:38 PM

Re: Excellent article - I

After your baby came home and began nursing did your supply change? Im going through the same thing and my supply has decreased. I was producing more than she needed and now seemingly enough which is less. im worried I might continue to decrease and run out.