JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Knitting, Crochet and Macrame Techniques & Patterns (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f216-knitting-crochet-and-macrame-techniques-and-patterns/)
-   -   Bought a crochet kit... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f216-knitting-crochet-and-macrame-techniques-and-patterns/2199566-bought-crochet-kit.html)

Earthy.Mama December 27th, 2010 10:11 AM

Bought a crochet kit...

just the basic on at walmart. It's the only thing we're allowed to do at work between calls so I decided I mine as well learn.

Question though, what is the difference between knitting and crocheting? It looks the same to me except one uses two hooks/needle thingys and crochet only uses 1...

~InHisHands~ December 27th, 2010 05:07 PM

Re: Bought a crochet kit...

I have that one too! :) I've *heard* that knitting is easier b/c you learn 2 stitches, knit & purl, & everything else is just a variation of these 2 stitches. Of course die-hard crocheters think crocheting is easier b/c they say it's faster. I know the basics of knitting (nothing too too fancy yet but I'm learning something new every day :)) & will be learning how to crochet in the new year. :cheer:

One thing about knitting is that you have all these different kind of needles, for example, circular needles, double pointed needles, regular needles. I think crocheting might be easier in that you don't have to own as many different kinds of "needles." With knitting your work moves from one needle to the next & vice versa so all your work HAS to fit on the needle & thus for larger projects like blankets you might need circular needles. I am excited to learn crochet so that when I work you work out from that starting stitch & don't have to worry about your work fitting on the needle or not so basically you can do a large blanket with a little bity hook & NOT with 36" or 48" or whatever inch circular needles. I tried to explain that as best I could. LOL

I will say that I do like knitting. Can't comment on crocheting yet though. :) GL & let us know how it goes! Oh & check your local library... they may have free knitting or crocheting classes. I know my library does... that's how I learned how to knit! :D

NewportMamaBear December 27th, 2010 07:46 PM

I find that coordination has a lot to do with liking knitting over crochet or the opposite. I have tried to learn to knit multiple times and can't seem to get it. I was taught to crochet and love it. I hope that it goes well for you.

MrsHilgert January 4th, 2011 05:30 PM

Knitting is with pointed needles (whether they are circular, straight, etc) and Crochet is with a hook. Knitting sometimes uses crochet hooks.

I learned how to crochet about a year ago and I LOVE it. LOVE. It's so relaxing and fun and you can make some really cute stuff. I plan on learning to knit also, I just haven't had the time to sit down and really figure it out yet. It seems harder to me, but who knows! I'm sure once I figure it out I'll love it just as much.

Girl IS my name January 5th, 2011 11:08 AM

I always feel like I don't have enough hands to knit. There are lots of stitches to crocheting though and even though it is the same basic concept, some of the stitches can be confusing. I love it though. Good luck learning!!

~InHisHands~ February 5th, 2011 11:25 AM

How's it going? Are you learning to crochet??? It's going painfully here. :lol: