JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Knitting, Crochet and Macrame Techniques & Patterns (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f216-knitting-crochet-and-macrame-techniques-and-patterns/)
-   -   Hi girls! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f216-knitting-crochet-and-macrame-techniques-and-patterns/816679-hi-girls.html)

*Fiona* November 21st, 2007 02:14 PM

I'm a complete newbie to knitting and am currently trying my hand at this baby blanket: link

Granted, my blankie wont look as professional as this but I'm trying!!!

I'm stopping in for a little help please. I'm going to try this booties pattern: link - But what does "YO" mean in here:

Quote:

Cast on 33 sts loosely (use a slightly larger needle if you like to cast on and off with). Work a K1,P1 rib for 10 rows.

Eyelet row: K1, * YO, K2tog * . Repeat from *'s to end.

P next row.[/b]
Thanks in advance!!

~Caroline~ November 22nd, 2007 06:18 AM

Hi Fiona! I know you from the WTTC board :)

YO = Yarn over.
If the next stitch after YO is a knit stitch, you simply bring the yarn to the front of the work, and then you knit the next stitch.
If the stitch after the YO is a purl stitch, you wind the yarn completely around the right-hand needle from front to back, and then purl the next stitch.

If this is not clear, there should be a video explaining it on this site.

*Fiona* November 22nd, 2007 12:02 PM

Hey lol yey for being on another board together :D

Ty for this and for the link!!

Lisadear November 22nd, 2007 10:11 PM

Welcome to the board Fiona!!!

gosh! I envy those that can knit ... okay one day I will actually pick up the needles I bought over a year ago and try knitting again! lol

xxx Lisa xxx

*Fiona* November 24th, 2007 07:09 AM

Lisa, there are FANTASTIC videos on the link above that Caroline posted. Failing that, youtube has heaps also!!

I knitted a little but in school... long time ago. But managed to pick it up again very very easily a few weeks ago. You should deffo try, it's so relaxing!

~Caroline~ November 24th, 2007 09:12 AM

Knitting is my favourite hobby and I think I'd go nuts if I couldn't knit. It's relaxing and it helps me not fall asleep when I watch TV/movies (I fall asleep very easily ;) ).

Fiona, is this blanket for a future baby of yours or for someone else's? Please post pics!

*Fiona* November 25th, 2007 06:54 AM

It's for mine. We're casually TTC atm, until Xmas and New Yr have past and then we hope to get down to the nitty gritty :lol:

I've only done a part of it and it's scrunched up on my needs cos it's quite long.... I'll try and get a "so far" piccie tho.... watch this space lol

*Fiona* November 25th, 2007 07:01 AM

Here we go... this is only half, the other half is scrunched up:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ankiesofar.jpg

p.s. it's white... looks odd through the scanner lol

Lindsey608 November 25th, 2007 12:36 PM

That's cute! What yarn are you using?

*Fiona* November 25th, 2007 03:54 PM

Double Knit?!

I'd bought it for another blanket, but the pattern was completely wrong... it told me I needed 12 x 100g balls... even if the pattern was correct, I'd have been lucky to have used 3 of the 12 balls... :lol:

But that's good cos now I have lots of wool to try other stuff. I can't find the link to this blanket I'm doing now, but if anyone wants the pattern, I've written it down.

Lindsey608 November 26th, 2007 01:11 AM

Well I think you're doing a great job so far :D

And you're right.. now you can make matching hats, mitts, a sweater.. knitting baby clothes is a blast because they go so fast.

survey77777 November 27th, 2007 07:30 AM

Looking good. I love making baby stuff. I wonder if I'll even have time once my own comes ;)

*Fiona* November 27th, 2007 02:14 PM

Start no nix! It's fantastic for relaxation, something more important for you right now :D

survey77777 November 28th, 2007 09:52 PM

Quote:

Start no nix! It's fantastic for relaxation, something more important for you right now :D[/b]
I'm so not relaxed right now. As far as knitting goes...I also have to finish off a bunch of xmas gifts before I can start on stuff for my little peanut. But I also find knitting very relaxing.

*Fiona* November 30th, 2007 06:24 AM

Awwww :( That's a shame. Can you fit in 10 mins before bedtime? Just to wind down?

((((((Huggles))))))

WHat sort of things are you doing as Christmas gifts? Sorry to be nosey!!

survey77777 December 3rd, 2007 05:18 AM

Quote:

WHat sort of things are you doing as Christmas gifts? Sorry to be nosey!![/b]
Not nosey at all. I'm working on sweaters for a couple of my nieces. An awesome beaded silk sweater for my mom. Some newborn hats for some of my pregnant friends/relatives. And for my sister to give to her kids/nieces/etc. I'm making a couple of hats & ponchos with yarn that I can't afford to buy for myself right now ;) So we both win with her getting the stuff and me getting to use the great yarn. I'm probably working on more than that but I'll remember it all in the new year when it's too late. I'm on bedrest right now until I find out what's going on tomorrow so I've spent a lot of time sewing all of my unfinished projects (UFOs) together...that's always a rewarding task when you get to it. I'm going to post a link to a pic of the sweater for my mom since I love it so much. I'm making the short sleeved version for her *although I prefer the long sleeves, she likes the short one) in olive colours with the beaded yarn shown in the long sleeves as oppose to the sequins in the short sleeves. Are you sorry you asked yet ;)

great sweater i'm making
Happy knitting...as you can see I also love to chat about it.

~Caroline~ December 3rd, 2007 09:31 PM

nix, I LOVE that sweater you linked to, it's been on my to-do list for months! If I ever end up making it, I'll have to substitute though cause there's no way I can afford that yarn!

Fiona, the baby blanket is looking good! I'm hoping to start working on baby things after I'm done with the Christmas knitting. There's still a lot of time to wait before we even start trying but I'm a slow knitter so why not start now!

Lisadear December 4th, 2007 03:26 AM

I'll really have to try and learn this then if its relaxing!

xxx Lisa xxx

survey77777 December 4th, 2007 09:11 AM

Quote:

nix, I LOVE that sweater you linked to, it's been on my to-do list for months! If I ever end up making it, I'll have to substitute though cause there's no way I can afford that yarn![/b]

It took me forever to decide to buy the yarn for the sweater as it's a gift. I searched for an equally long time to find the best deal I could on it...then kept it all for a good part of a year before I got brave enough to knit with that beautiful yarn. It's worth it. I could never afford to do it again, but it feels so wonderful. I will probably make it again for myself with a substitute. Let me know if you do and what you use.

*Fiona* December 6th, 2007 01:54 PM

Deffo start now, even if you are wttc. It's so lovely. Knitted baby things seem to be a thing of the past, but there's nothing cuter than a teeny baby with a knitted cardigan on. So freaking cute!!!

I posted my blanket in another thread... go see!!