JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Labor and Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f111-labor-and-childbirth/)
-   -   Is this true about labor? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f111-labor-and-childbirth/2528979-true-about-labor.html)

Collins22 May 19th, 2012 02:41 PM

Is this true about labor?

I was reading a few child birthing websites and they said labor often won't come or start until the mother is relaxed or feels ready or safe. Similar to cats and dogs (their analogy not mine). I was wondering if this is often true? For example I'm almost 37 weeks and lost my mucus plug Thursday, have been having contractions off and on since then and my dr said my cervix has moved into the right position for birth as well as started dilating. He said this was the beginning processes of labor and suggested I stay home and relax so I've started my maternity leave. Now that I'm done working I have Everything ready for baby and feel much more relaxed, could this really help progress thing further?

Jessy_Ree May 20th, 2012 05:09 PM

Re: Is this true about labor?

Relaxing never hurt..That being said when I went into labor for my second son I was so unready and it still happened..I know there are chemicals released when you are in a relaxed state of mind so maybe that has some sort of influence although I can't imagine it would be that much..

tubyren July 30th, 2012 12:26 AM

I don't think it's true. Baby will come out as long as your cervix is at 10 cm diameter.

Sweetpea24 August 3rd, 2012 03:17 PM

relaxing has nothing to do with it. Baby will come when he or she is ready and your body is ready. I know i was told some many time just relax and baby will come didnt happen

hope71012 August 7th, 2012 09:18 AM

It was true for me. I was dealing with a lot of fear, anxiety, and other issues. On top of baby being in a not so great position, it wasn't until I relaxed and worked through those issues did I finally go into labor. Actually, I "regressed" in dilation and effacement because I was so stressed dealing with the fear, anxiety, etc.

breastfeedin mama August 12th, 2012 10:32 AM

never happened for me

elizabethsingler December 11th, 2012 08:15 AM

I believe that. My DD was born last week....and I didn't go into labor until all my Christmas presents were wrapped, groceries and banking done....house cleaned, birth pool set up...everything. :)

SaphireScorpion March 18th, 2013 07:43 AM

I think it's more the opposite; if you're not relaxed, there's a chance that can stall labour. Obviously everyone is different, but it does kind of make sense: if you were starting labour and something absolutely horrible happened and you had to run away, it would be better for you and the baby if labour slowed down a bit so you weren't distracted and vulnerable during your escape! Maybe we evolved that way, and some people hold on to the "old instincts" more than others.

Sweetpea24 March 20th, 2013 08:44 AM

Baby will come when he or she is ready to come. I have tryed everything in the book with all of my kids, and nothing really helped them come into the world. I know it's hard waiting, even more so when you know your just right there and so close.

moxiemommie May 19th, 2013 01:49 PM

I think it will happen when your body and the baby is ready. With my first, the last month I was relaxed and EAGER. I was walking, jogging, jumping, eating spicy food, doing the deed. I tried to get him out. I was 40wks and 4 days. I hadnt gotten to bed until 3am and woke up with contractions at 730, I was mad because I thought they were just "stupid braxton hicks" so I got up went to the bathroom, and got into bed. My fiance asked Baby?? And my reply was "no just stupid braxton hicks!) I rolled over and not 5 minutes later we heard a loud pop lol and of course the bed got wet lol. He said I told you! Baby! Lol. So I was more than ready but I waited for the baby.