JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Labor and Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f111-labor-and-childbirth/)
-   -   Were you/Will you be allowed to eat? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f111-labor-and-childbirth/2536395-were-you-will-you-allowed-to-eat.html)

happilyeverafter June 7th, 2012 07:56 AM

Were you/Will you be allowed to eat?

During labor?? What's the policy on that were you gave/will give birth?

My midwife encouraged me to try to eat during labor to keep up my energy, but warned that some women get pretty sick to their stomachs during labor. The birth center had a full kitchen that we could use, but we only took some Cheezit crackers and Gatorades. I remember going to appointments and seeing new dads carrying crockpots and dishes out to their vehicles lol..

tryinfor5 June 20th, 2012 09:10 AM

Re: Were you/Will you be allowed to eat?

I am having to use a hospital, and their policy is no food or drinks. Absurd policy, so I will be having my DH smuggle in snacks for me and drinks.
Last labor I had no desire to eat, but was very thirsty and was told I could only have ice chips. I think these people are complete idiots.

Jessy_Ree June 22nd, 2012 02:08 PM

Most hospitals put that into place in case you end up with an emergency c-section..anesthesia can and does cause vomitting and doing so while you are laying down could cause you to choke..At my hospital for my first two I wasnt allowed any food or drinks during labor..good thing it only lasted 2 hrs..but with my daughter we used a different hospital and they actually came to my room and took my food order..When I looked at them like they were stupid they told me the doc said I could have light meals during labor..I ended up not eating my dinner anyway because I was too anxious to meet my baby..LOL

tryinfor5 July 26th, 2012 01:51 PM

I do understand why the policy was put in place in most hospitals, but from my research, the chances of aspiration while being intubated is actually not that high. (albeit, I am not doctor or researcher).

I look at labor as what it is... work. I would never consider doing a round or 5(let's face it, some labors are long) of P90X without hydration or proper nutrition.

I appreciate a hospital that doesn't blanket the rule, but take these situations case by case.

beamermarie July 27th, 2012 07:37 AM

I am only 16 weeks and won't know what doctor I will be delivering with until I deliver. I'm seeing a team of 4 doctors, I deliver with whomever is scheduled to work at the time of my delivery. I'm military, so I don't have any choice or say so in my doctor, unless I want to pay out of pocket. This is how the base does things, the end.

I'm due in January, and not taking the hospital classes or tour until November- I'll ask the docs and during the tour.

Regardless, I will be eating if I want to. They can't stop me. Are they going to strap me down? Arrest me? I will be eating if I'm hungry. I get dizzy and sick if I don't eat every 4-5 hours from hypoglycemia, and had this before pregnancy. I have actually passed out and ended up in ambulances twice in my life from low blood sugar. I pity the doctor that tries to stop me.

KerrySlater July 29th, 2012 08:56 PM

It really depends on the hospital - I wasnt allowed to eat.....unless it was ice chips

tubyren July 29th, 2012 11:14 PM

I think it's okey to eat but not that much.

breastfeedin mama August 12th, 2012 10:16 AM

i was until midnight w/scheduled induction. nothing but ice chips after

beamermarie August 13th, 2012 07:05 AM

Finally got a good answer from my OB team... totally allowed to eat. However, I've been informed I will not want to... we'll see. I'm happy to know it is at least an option.

Surrounded October 1st, 2012 10:20 PM

I did the ice chips and took lollipops. I ate a good meal at the beginning of labor (around midnight) and a small meal in the morning (around 8).

paula96 October 28th, 2012 05:24 AM

You are allowed to eat, but my doc said you won't be able to eat. Your mindset won't be in that frame to even think about eating.

SJane October 31st, 2012 09:30 AM

Depends on the hospital. I wasn't allowed to eat with my 1st delivery since I was a candidate for CS. They didn't allow my dh to enter the delivery room, not even into the labor room, though it's okay, as long as me & my baby's fine.

Earthy.Mama November 3rd, 2012 08:38 AM

Hospital with first, MW said I'd be allowed to eat and then it's like she got scared once we were in the hospital and she changed her mind. I ate anyways, DH had someone get some burgers and fries and I took some bites of his. I was ravenous!

Homebirth with Nola and I didn't feel like eating. I was absolutely exhausted and wanted to just fall asleep so DH was getting some honey for me but never made it to my mouth because I pushed Nola out :lol:

.:Kati:. November 4th, 2012 09:06 PM

I wasn't allowed to put anything into my mouth. They were so strict with that rule if i needed my blood pressure medicine i'm 100% sure they wouldn't have let me have it. LOL. Seriously they wouldn't even let me have a sip of water,no ice. NOTHING!

Purrrrrrr November 6th, 2012 12:17 PM

No food at our hospital, but ice chips and some water is allowed. I have hyperemesis and once I get throwing up, I just don't stop. With all the cramping from contractions I was nervous I'd start yakking, so I didn't have the desire to eat. I won't with this one either.

rhiane2013 November 10th, 2012 08:31 AM

only ice chips are allowed. so my friend adviced not to go to the hospital yet until it's fine. just stay at home so u can eat well to keep up with your energy then just go when it's time...

Adventuremom November 11th, 2012 04:55 PM

I had two hospital births, and no food was allowed. It didn't really affect me, though. With DS1 I was placed in the hospital overnight for a planned induction. I ate dinner in the L&D room, then slept there. I woke at 5am (before they could induce) and my water broke - so avoided the induction there, lol! I wasn't allowed anything but wasn't hungry AT ALL. My labor was fast and he was out by 10:50am. I missed breakfast, but didn't ever feel hungry due to being in labor. I had lunch after they settled me in my room.

With my second son, I had a "drive through delivery," or at least that's what the doc joked about. I had my first contraction at 9:30pm, long after dinner. We went to the hospital at 10:30pm and he was out at 12:18am (just after midnight). I never missed a meal with him, haha!

beck12 November 24th, 2012 01:09 PM

With #1 I was allowed crackers. With #2 I went back & forth from hosp to home allowing them to check dilation & stayed home right up until I had him - literally & I ate whatever I felt like eating. I don't care for their rules - so I didn't choose to labor at the hospital. I *think* I could have just insisted & ate if I brought my own snacks, but it was so much nicer just to be at home anyway. I live very very close so I had no worries that I couldn't get there in time. Perhaps I was too lax on it though as he was born 11 mins after the last time we went in. :p

kristenburgess November 24th, 2012 05:20 PM

I had home births so I've always been allowed to eat. I usually have in early labor but not later. With my second I did nibble some peanut butter sandwiches and I think I had a few bites of scrambled egg. The others have gone faster so I've just had plenty of sips of water/juice :) I'm always starving right after baby comes, though!

mojomama November 27th, 2012 05:57 PM

I was allowed to eat during all my labors- hospital and home. I did during my first and third, but not my second and fourth. It was more to do with length of labor and desire than anything. The births of my second and fourth were both precipitous.