JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Large Families (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/)
-   -   Speaking of school (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/1656221-speaking-school.html)

shari626 August 2nd, 2009 05:20 AM

Speaking of school

I got the school supply list in the mail for my two grade schoolers. The list is a little ridiculous and got me thinking ~ how much am I going to spend on back to school supplies? The list consisted of clorox wipes, paper towels, tissues, ziploc bags, tennis balls (8 per kid!!), markers, paper, crayons, pencil case, erasers, composition books, folders, notebooks, pencils, colored pencils, copy paper, highlighters, post it notes, and it went on and on. That was only two of them! I don't even have a list for my high schooler yet.

How much do you generally spend on back to school supplies?

If you homeschool ~ how much will you spend on curriculum and supplies?

Julie_aka_Mommy August 16th, 2009 08:45 AM

Re: Speaking of school

thankfully we only have 1 in school so far - kindergarten...our list was pretty small.

but, Why do they need your children to bring clorox wipes!? and paper towels?
are they having students/parents pay for their janitorial supplies now too?

#5in2005 August 16th, 2009 01:18 PM

I spend about $100 on school supplies for all 4. (I shop around).

I think with teachers doing the best they can with their budgets this is just the way it's going to be, having to bring things you wouldn't neccessarily consider school supplies.

Martha83 August 16th, 2009 01:31 PM

I have seen the lists for school in our area and i think it's ABSURD the things they are having to ask for. Seriously! It's aggravating. What happened to the basics and then two boxes of kleenex. UGH....

We homeschool so we just get what we need. I think I spent 10.00 on each kid for school supplies....actually probably less....I'll probably hit up Hobby Lobby and get a lot of odd and end craft supplies...maybe I'll spend around 20.00-30.00 there so that we have what we need whenever a craft idea is brought up.

As far as curriculum....This year I'll spend about 150.00 total. I think. Every year it's different based on what curriculum I decide to do. But this year that is what I'll spend.

I'd much rather put that amount into curriculum than supplies though....I wish that homeschoolers could get a tax break...cause at this point I'm paying for my kids education....AND a few others lol....ah well....

MamaJessie August 16th, 2009 07:01 PM

Just the basics and two boxes of kleenex here.

Farmers-wife August 16th, 2009 07:19 PM

Martha, you don't want a tax break or any other kind of gov't "perk" or help. It just leads to bondage!

I only buy math curriculum, the rest we do from books and just living. I just ordered our next round and spent $130. That is for 5 kids. I buy some supplies like crayons and spiral notebooks at the walmart when they are .25 each just to stock up. That's it.

Now, if you add in all the money I have spent on living! Like horses and chickens, and costumes for the plays, and foods for experiments, and gas to go to this field trip or that friend's thing, then we could start piling up the bucks. But that is just living.

Kierasmom August 16th, 2009 08:05 PM

I think I've spent around $500 on curriculum and supplies for homeschooling so far. That's for 4 kids. The public school list last year was over $100 per kid. That didn't include the $20 activity fee the school asked for either. Seems a little steep to me. Especially since my highschooler did a few worksheets, read racist and violent books, and watched movies all year.

Martha83 August 16th, 2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmerswife (Post 16969151)
Martha, you don't want a tax break or any other kind of gov't "perk" or help. It just leads to bondage!

I know...doesn't make it right....but I know...wishful thinking! ;) I just need to move to a cheaper county! LOL!!!!!

kassia August 17th, 2009 10:49 AM

I spent about 50.00 for each child for school supplies but I reordered them in April so they will be waiting at school for the kids. Then 50.00 each for enrollment.....and about 500.00 for clothes and shoes

Motherbird August 18th, 2009 11:16 AM

I homeschool, but one of mine is trying public school this year. Her list is the same- clorox wipes, paper towels, freezer bags, etc....

I don't think the teacher should have to buy those things either, but why isn't the school stocking the building with those things? Humph, this is surely going to be the first of many frustations I'll be having with the school this year...

Oh wait, no the first was this: I was asked to sign a waiver that if my child views any inappropriate material on a school computer, I will not hold the school responsible. Um, no, the school would definitely be responsible if that happened so I did not sign. ugh

Kristina August 18th, 2009 12:09 PM

My oldest is starting middle school so I'm not sure on what she will need, but I have never gotten a list per se on what my kiddos need, I buy them pencils, a few notebooks and book covers, I have never been asked to bring wipes and freezer baggies to school thats just weird.

Tennis ball seriously what the heck for?