JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Large Families (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/)
-   -   Laundry (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/2174061-laundry.html)

zookpr November 29th, 2010 07:16 AM

Laundry

:sneak:

I know for many of us, this is a dirty subject!

I dislike laundry...it is a never ending process!

If I take a day off, I have tons more to do and well it is a no win situation.

I make my own laundry soap..great fun and all, but it is not whitening enough and a few drops of essential oils don't leave my laundry with that lovely fresh laundered scent, in fact you can't even smell it.

What kind of washer/dryer do you have?

I have a top loader washer..cheapest you can get. No hot water setting. Will only rinse in cold..if I turn the cold water off for a hot water wash, it won't pull any hot water for a rinse..it will just sit there waiting for the cold water to be turned back on. I have 2 settings, large and small load..nothing else. I can wash as cotton/heavy or permanent press.
My dryer is a dryer..perm press or cotton/heavy timed..that is all.

While I am grateful for these (inlaws bought them 3 years ago for us)..I hate them. I wanted to be the one to pick out my washer..I wouldn't have gone top of the line or anything since I wasn't paying for them, but I would have gone one step up. They are a family of 2 and have a nicer washer than we do and they only use 1 function..it sure would have been nice to have the option for more. I am being selfish I know..it is just a daily struggle especially since we cloth diaper and need more than a warm water wash cycle without having to turn off the cold water everytime.

Anyway..tell me about your laundry! :)

4fornow November 29th, 2010 07:42 AM

Re: Laundry

I feel your laundry pain!
I actually don't mind doing it, it's putting it away that stinks. I do a load a day, but if I miss a day, there's 3 loads..which doesn't equal out in the math department? Who knows?
I often hear, "Mom...where's my (insert whatever favorite thing they like to wear everyday here)?" My reply is always the same.."probably in the basket.."
As for washer and dryer. I have average machines, no bells and whistles. I always wash in cold water, unless it's something awful and it needs hot.
You make your own detergent? Hmmm...how about some info on this.. Thanks!

~mommy~ November 29th, 2010 08:01 AM

Small stack machines, it was all that would fit in our old house.
I use Tide detergent, borax for brightening and Clorox bleach for whites.
Dh dreams of buying me commercial grade machines, but something else always comes up. I would be happy with exactly what you described you want. Mine does have awesome cycle choices they are just small. Fortunately for now most of their clothes are still small, maybe we'll be able to swing it by the time their clothes get big. :D

zookpr November 29th, 2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fornow (Post 22275960)
I feel your laundry pain!
I actually don't mind doing it, it's putting it away that stinks. I do a load a day, but if I miss a day, there's 3 loads..which doesn't equal out in the math department? Who knows?
I often hear, "Mom...where's my (insert whatever favorite thing they like to wear everyday here)?" My reply is always the same.."probably in the basket.."
As for washer and dryer. I have average machines, no bells and whistles. I always wash in cold water, unless it's something awful and it needs hot.
You make your own detergent? Hmmm...how about some info on this.. Thanks!

"a" load a day :jawdrop: I do 3 a day..easy..more if I wash the bed sheets..it takes 3 1/2 loads just for the entire houses bed stuff..okay more like 4 1/2.

I usually wash in cold also, but like hot for the diapers, towels, whites and bedstuffs.

Detergent:

Bar soap (I use Zote, only thing available here, but Nel Falstha or something like that)
Borax Washing stuff 1/2 c
Washing Soda 1/2 c
water
Essential oil of your choice if you choose

Grind bar soap (shred..whatever) into 4 cups hot water. Put on stove and heat until it is all melted.
Pour into 5 gal bucket half full with hot water (tap hot..not stove hot), add borax, soda and a few drops of oil, continue filling til full (hot water).
Close lid and let sit overnight.
It will gel up quite well especially if in a cool area
The next day give it a good stir, mix altogether, then take 1/2 of that bucket and put into another 5 gal bucket then top both buckets with hot water.

You will have to mix before use (you can put some into an old detergent container, just shake before use).

this is a non sudsing detergent so if you look in your laundry you won't find bubbles..don't fear the clothes are getting clean!

I am going to add more borax to mine and more essential oil so I get the smell and whiter whites!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~mommy~ (Post 22276179)
Small stack machines, it was all that would fit in our old house.
I use Tide detergent, borax for brightening and Clorox bleach for whites.
Dh dreams of buying me commercial grade machines, but something else always comes up. I would be happy with exactly what you described you want. Mine does have awesome cycle choices they are just small. Fortunately for now most of their clothes are still small, maybe we'll be able to swing it by the time their clothes get big. :D

I couldn't imagine having only stackmachines..I would never make it.

Kierasmom November 29th, 2010 12:07 PM

I hate laundry. It's never ending. I usually fold, and DH and the older boys wash.

#5in2005 November 29th, 2010 12:11 PM

I have a front load washer and dryer, they were expensive (not top of the line with all the bells and whistles, but a pretty nice and big one) but have not looked back since, I love them and make laundry managable. I do 1 load a day for things that I can hang in my furnace room (jeans, towels) and do the rest once every 5 to 7 days.

I have been looking to use something different for laundry detergent and fabric softener, I use big jugs, but that's still a lot of plastic garbage.

clouise November 29th, 2010 12:51 PM

I'm a weirdo, laundry is the one chore I do not mind. I feel a sense of accomplishment when it it all done and put a =way. :lol: I rank it above mopping, dishes, cleaning bathrooms, and the dreaded "helping" with the kids' rooms.

I do one load of clothes a day, and then wash all the sheets and towels once a week.

My washer and dryer don't work so great either, and they are on the (rather long) list of things that need to be replaced. My washer is fine, but it only can do regular loads...no delicates, no extra rinses, to temp changes, etc. My dryer doesn't get very hot and takes like 2 1/2 - 3 hours to dry a full load. We can't put up a clothes line where we would or I would just do that.

Just_Marie November 29th, 2010 04:01 PM

I do approx 10 loads a week for six of us. I have front loads. In the old house we had really small, cheaper front loads, but they had good heat settings, everything was just small. I paid twice as much, but got twice as much volume with this set when we moved here. I really like it. I don't mind paying lots of dishwashers and laundry sets, but I tend to cheap out on other appliances that are used less.

zookpr November 29th, 2010 09:45 PM

Yes I think a bigger washer would make laundry seem less cumbersome. I do 3 loads a day and then the once weekly beds that is 3-4 loads...that is 24 loads a week. I get one entire bed into the washer...if I wash the blankets..if I don't have to wash all the blankets I can get 2 beds sheets in there. Ridiculous! One day i will have super loaders :giggle: or a maid :D