JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Large Families (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/)
-   -   Time for a change (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/2247355-time-for-change.html)

Just_Marie February 12th, 2011 09:42 PM

Time for a change

It sounds like we might be moving-dh's employers are working at creating a manager's job for him, back in the area where he grew up. His parents currently live 8 hours away from us, he has no siblings, but lots of close cousins and aunts/uncles. We'd be back to rural living, but 2.5 hours to the city, vs 5 hours from here. His parents would give us a piece of land, and the kids would go to the same K-12 school that dh went to:) Small school, small communities, and we would ALWAYS know what our kids were up to;) All of his cousins are our age, with little kids, and we get along well with them.
Right now we have no support here, my parents are gone, my sisters are in their 50's and live 2.5 hours away, but refuse to help us with the kids at all; they like to show up every 3 months bearing gifts, but that's it. If we need help, my MIL has to come down to stay with us. But they're cattle farmers, so they can't do that often. I'm scared, but I know it would be a good thing. I'd still keep my online teaching job, with a bit of travel back here, but I can fly or drive. And I could work at the hospital there if I had to, I'm very flexible and experienced. Once my mom died, I couldn't imagine leaving here, but now I can, maybe its time?

Right now we're looking at house plans: since the land is free, and we can build using FIL's work plan for cost building, we're looking at building a six bedroom two storey, with wrap around porch, and three car garage. I'm looking 5000 sq ft minimum, with no basement. And I want a guest bedroom on the main floor, along with an office. If I'm gonna live in the sticks, I might as well have a wicked house;) 7 bedrooms might be overkill, hey? But if its cheap to build, then why not? I don't think I'll ever complain about having too much space. I want 5 small kids' bedrooms on the 2nd floor, plus my master with ensuite and walk ins, and I also want a big rec room on the 2nd floor. As the kids get older, I know they'll spend more time in there, and I want to know where they're at. Main floor will have office, 7th bedroom with full bath, main floor laundry, half bath, big kitchen, mudroom, wip, maybe formal dining room, nook, and one or two livingrooms. I want a hot tub on the wrap around deck.

Am I missing anything? We'd have to sell this house for sure in order to leave, and continue to rent out our city house with friends managing it, but it sounds like they could be ready for us to be there in 6 months, right after baby gets here. That means building the house over the summer, likely living in a trailer in the yard while it builds-roughing it, lol! It looks like we'd be building literally across the road from the IL"s, but free land is free land, right? And that part is completely treed for privacy, perfect! Can you tell I'm trying to sell myself on the idea of leaving? Anyone know of any house plans that meet those requirements? I'm having no luck finding anything, I might just meet with a blue print company next week with dh.

Tell me not to be scared, okay?

8miraclez February 13th, 2011 12:51 AM

Re: Time for a change

That sounds so exciting. I'm totally jealous. I hope some day we'll be able to build a house with our own plans. Ahhh... what it would be like to pick paint colors. You're so lucky. Free land too. You can't beat free. I hope you're able to find some house plans you like.

MissyMoo February 13th, 2011 05:11 AM

Sounds fantastic, fabulous, wonderful, great, amazing and thats just my vision of your house. The rest of the package sounds pretty good too.

Do you think you would handle living so close to your in-laws? Do you get along with them?

Free land, good job, great house and more helping hands with the kids all sounds perfect to me.

MamaJessie February 13th, 2011 11:49 AM

Sounds awesome!

Farmers-wife February 13th, 2011 01:40 PM

I think it sounds great, exciting and fun! I am sorry about your loss of your mother. I love moving and starting fresh. If I were you, though, I would see if your husband's boss could move him somewhere there isn't snow! It really does sound like a great thing to try. If it doesn't work out, you can move somewhere else. Like Florida!

#5in2005 February 13th, 2011 03:54 PM

Marie, this is a good change! Change-even good change-always comes with some feeling of loss and sadness, especially when you may be feeling a little extra emotional being pregnant (just thinking back to when I was changing houses while pg with #5).

Sounds like you're going to build a great house!

Just_Marie February 13th, 2011 03:57 PM

My IL's are fairly young and pretty good, and dh and I are good at setting boundaries. They know not to mess with me;)

The whole sell this house and build thing stresses me out; we couldn't sell our smaller city house last year, thus the reason we're renting it. They're making us money off it each month, so it turned out well in the end. This house is worth alot more, on an acreage, close to the city-I'm hoping it'll be easier, but who knows?

Technically FW, the move would bring us a tiny bit south, but certainly not FL south;) I don't know if we'd survive with only one season, either.

Farmers-wife February 13th, 2011 05:36 PM

Hey! We have 4 seasons: Hot, Africa Hot, Hell Hot and Cold.

beccasmom7718 February 13th, 2011 10:03 PM

that sounds awesome!!
SO's grandparents are planning on giving him some land in the future, so we will build a house too.
It sounds soo super exciting :P
Although im glad we wouldnt have a house to sell. We rent right now.
But that sounds awesome !!

Momtothe6thpower February 14th, 2011 06:56 PM

That sounds like a great deal! GL

Just_Marie February 14th, 2011 09:59 PM

dh spoke to his managers today and nothing will happen for at least two months, but I suspect they'll want him up there right away. We're starting to frame the basement tomorrow, maybe that'll up our price and chances of a quick sale, fingers crossed!

Allisonjuly February 15th, 2011 05:10 PM

Sounds great!

It took me a second to figure out that wip meant walk in pantry :P

We are kind of in the same boat...dh got a job in smaller/safer town in another state and we need to sell our house before we can go. Six weeks til it's on the market.

Good luck to you!

Just_Marie February 15th, 2011 06:15 PM

good luck to you too for a quick and easy sale!

HippyMomOf4 February 16th, 2011 11:51 AM

Sounds amazing! Good luck with everything