JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Large Families (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/)
-   -   Recipes? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/2496247-recipes.html)

sarahlorrain March 1st, 2012 02:22 PM

Recipes?

Does anyone care to share some recipes that can feed your large family and don't break the bank??? I am getting really tired of beans. And more beans.

UrbanMomma March 1st, 2012 02:55 PM

Re: Recipes?

Spaghetti? Other forms of pasta? Pot pies? I make chicken or ham. Tuna casserole? Tacos usually go pretty far. Stew?

Do you have any dietary restrictions or concerns or whatever? Things the kids absolutely won't eat?

sarahlorrain March 1st, 2012 03:18 PM

No seafood. That's about it.

GiftsfromGod March 1st, 2012 04:33 PM

For things like sloppy joes and tacos that can use a lot of meat we mix cooked rice/meat 50/50 to make it stretch further.

Chicken noodle soup (homemade not canned), hamburger stew (like beef stew but using hamburger instead of stew meat), Beef & noodles (wide egg noodles, hamburger, and beef gravy mix), Potatoes and hamburger gravy, We made chicken spaghetti often because the chicken is cheaper than gr beef, rice a roni type meal with chicken or beef (I mix up the dry ingredients ahead of time so it is like the box mix only much cheaper. I try to keep cooked diced chicken in the freezer so it is easy to put this meal together quickly)

I have found a lot of recipes we use on moneysavingmom.com and hillbillyhousewife.com

sarahlorrain March 1st, 2012 06:04 PM

Tonight I ended up making sloppy joes. It's funny you mentioned using rice too. I usually do 1/2 hamburger meat and 1/2 black beans, but I had some pinto beans and rice left over from dinner last night so the sloppy joes ended up being 1/2 hamburger meat, 1/4 pinto beans and 1/4 rice. We also added cheese. It was good!

mom2many2010 March 1st, 2012 06:41 PM

On top of some of what was already said a great way to make a meal go further is biscuits and breads. I make biscuits a lot, really simple and pretty fool proof. For tacos I add diced potatoes, it's more filling then rice and makes the ground beef go a lot further. Sometimes I even make potato tacos, just season them with some taco seasoning and they are amazing. Enchilada soup, classic twist on chicken noodle, add a can of enchilada sauce, serve with crushed tortilla chips (or make your own) and top with a little cheese. Breakfast for dinner, nothin' wrong with pancakes, actually it's the only time I get them because I am not breakfast eater.

I make this odd thing but it taste amazing and happened one night cause my cupboards were bare and it's all I had. I had those multi-colored noodles, some tuna (you can leave this out) some real bacon bits from salads we had a few night before, parmesean and garlic mixed it all together with a little oil to help it hold together and it has now become a favorite.

I'm sure there is more but that is what is coming to mind at the moment.