JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Large Families (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/)
-   -   privacy at home~~ a question (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/2515188-privacy-home-question.html)

MIL2lissy8 April 16th, 2012 09:58 AM

privacy at home~~ a question

i saw this thread on the jan 2010 PR and thought it was interesting. what do you all think:

At what point did you/would you feel like it isn't OK for your kids to see you or DH/SO naked? Always OK? Never? OK up to a certain age? Different for different genders? Does DH/SO feel the same way you do about it?

i wondered, with such large families, how this issue is handled? even though i grew up in household of 8 people, i just always remember being modest. yes my sisters and i walked around between bedroom and bathroom in our undies as we would get ready for school etc. but that was it. anyway this was my response to the question on their board:

just this year when wyatt was 5 did i start asking him to leave when i dressed or showered. i have tried to teach him that a closed door means to knock first -- sometimes he gets it and sometimes not. he still wants to shower with joel (and with joel coming from a nudist background he doesn't care) so i don't make a scene about it. but if he walks in on me, i cover myself or turn my back but don't say much because i don't want it to be a big deal. i know that at their house now, my daughter and DIL are really trying to establish the privacy rules with all the kids.

mom2many2010 April 16th, 2012 10:20 AM

Re: privacy at home~~ a question

We aren't really uptight about it. My teen DD's will walk around in bra's and panties, older brothers and all. Sam for the boys (minus the bra's of course). My husband doesn't like any of the kids to see him change even the babies. Me, if you walk in and I am naked then you can turn around and leave or deal with it. We have a small house and one bathroom, so someone will be showering and someone else will be using the mirror. I think for us it is just normal.

UrbanMomma April 16th, 2012 11:36 AM

I require at least bball shorts on for the older boys if they are walking around the house, and the older girls to have on something as well. The babies, are well, babies, so who cares.

I dont want the bigger boys, 10 and up, to be in the room if I am changing or undressed. The girls and littlest ones I don't care.

We try not to be super uptight about it, just common decency and such. I don't want them to have body issues but I don't want them walking around booty naked either.

Farmers-wife April 16th, 2012 11:41 AM

My kids are like puritans. Once they hit about 6 or 7 you would ink I never saw their naked butts. For us, I don't like anyone 4 or older hanging around in our room during dressing times. We shut the door and ask that you knock first, if you just walk in, you are responsible for what you see!

Repti.Mom April 16th, 2012 12:46 PM

I sleep naked, and the kids usually sleep in just their undies, the exception being Sebastian because he won't keep a darn diaper on! That being said if I would get up in the middle of the night to go get the baby from one room or the other 1/2 the time I just go in naked. This IS WI though so sometimes I wear a robe lol. I usually don't bring clothes in to the bathroom with me either, so I shower then walk up to my room and get clothes. I don't know what age this will change.

DH sometimes sits on the couch in just his undies in the AM but usually he at least has pj pants on when the kids are up.

cybele April 16th, 2012 02:29 PM

I dont tend to 'set an age' when it becomes a more 'inapprorpiate' age however, the kids tend to do the whole "EWWWWW" thing anyway.

clouise April 17th, 2012 10:19 AM

My oldest is seven, and so far I don't care at all. None us walk waround naked though...even my babies are dressed at all time. So it's just bathing and dressing anyway.