JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Large Families (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/)
-   -   Church (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/2557512-church.html)

clouise August 4th, 2012 11:38 AM

Church

If you go, do your kids sit with you, or go to some kind of kids' program? Are they in a Sunday school or any kind of youth group outside of the service?

We do go most Sundays. My kids all sit with me for about 30 minutes. Then they have children's church for the second half of the service, and my older three go to that. Katy Ann sits with me the whole time unless she gets fussy. If she does I take her to the lobby and can watch the service on tv while she calms down. She's usually fine though. The service is only an hour, which is the perfect length for little kids. We don't do Sunday school, but the older three are in AWANAs which meets on a weeknight during the school year.

#5in2005 August 4th, 2012 12:19 PM

Re: Church

Kids under 3 go to nursery. During summer there's sunday school for preschoolers only (3-5 year olds) and Sept-June there is Sunday school for kids up to grade 6. The Sunday school kids get dismissed halfway through the service. So for right now everyone sits with us, and now that they're not so little it's much easier.

I have heard it said that the younger kids get excluded by being stuffed in the nursery, but it's not a hard and fast rule, but I know that I always appreciated the nursery being available, the kids never minded going there.

As far as other church activities, the younger 3 go to jr choir, #3 and #4 got to GEMS (it's like girl scouts) the older 2 go to youth group and to Categism.

clouise August 4th, 2012 01:17 PM

We have a nursery available, but I don't use it since Katy sits well in church. When we were living in CT we attended a church with no nursery for a while. It got exhausting after a while...I had two toddler and a new baby. They could sit through the service, but they required so much of my attention that I left having no idea what the sermon was even about. After a while we quit going, because what was really the point in that? Now that they're all a bit older it's so much easier. The older three know exactly what to do, so it's only Katy who needs help and attention.

UrbanMomma August 4th, 2012 01:33 PM

I choose to avoid organized religious activities.

mom2many2010 August 4th, 2012 01:39 PM

I don't go to church, I am agnostic, but my kids do go on occasion with family or friends and I try to mix up the religions. The little ones also do VBS most summers.

My older dd's attended youth groups. My oldest girl (who is athiest) attended an evening one, and my other dd attended one as part of her first hour of school. It was off campus, but gave her credits..not sure how they did that one lol

I am not opposed to religion for my children. I want them well rounded and to find their place in religion, not just follow me because of my beliefs. Whatever they choose is fine by me. The little ones do do really well sitting and paying attention.

therevslady August 4th, 2012 02:08 PM

My husband is the priest of our parish and we go quite often. The kids stay with us through musical worship and scripture readings, and then go to age appropriate classrooms to learn the gospel in an age appropriate way. I tend to keep my nurslings with me until they can go a while without me.

UrbanMomma August 4th, 2012 03:19 PM

One of the reasons I don't "do" church is the length of the services. When we go to church we go to the church where my husbands uncle is Pastor. It is the longest service e.v.e.r. It starts at 10:45 and can go well past 2.

cybele August 4th, 2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2many2010 (Post 26361540)
I am not opposed to religion for my children. I want them well rounded and to find their place in religion, not just follow me because of my beliefs. Whatever they choose is fine by me.

I'm the same. I wan't my kids to find their own way, based on what they believe.

I don't go to church because I was raised in a very strict Catholic household, plus 12 years of strict all girls Catholic school run by nuns and came to have a complete disrespect for it. I don't want my children to have a complete level of disrespect and bitterness towards a spiritual belief the way I do.

That said, I do identify as Pagan and raise my children as such, but they are welcome to take and leave whatever parts of it they choose, I don't force them.

I also don't believe in teaching spirituality, I think that has to come within, so even if we did go to an organised church, I wouldn't want my children to go to any of the children's groups.

Repti.Mom August 5th, 2012 07:57 AM

Neither DH or I participate in any religion. The kids go to Awana on Weds with the neighbor at a very small church. They sometimes do a program in the summer too, it's just a couple hours in the evening for about a week, and they do lots of messy stuff, like food slip&slides and stuff.

I think they should choose their own thing too, though I think that the smaller they are when they go the more they're going to believe whatever they hear. If they want to change their minds later I've let them know that it's ok. The Awana especially buys kid in with candy and prizes, and lots of fun stuff they don't do at home. Not real sure that they actually even learn anything. Well Noah has picked up a few things, but RJ and the girls I'm not real sure.

I was forced to do sunday school and confirmation class and it was the most boring thing ever. I especially hated the weekend trips, I went to a different middle school than the rest of the kids just based on the part of the city we lived in (there are 3 middle schools here) and I would have much rather been home with my own friends. My only memories from early church is crying and begging not to go, and drinking the confirmation wine standing in line with my parents and getting a stomach ache LOL

Indymommy7 August 5th, 2012 02:13 PM

Yep, totally non-religious here.

I used to be Mormon but for reasons I won't get into, I have abandoned any and all 'religion' and rather embraced spirituality.

People a lot of times assume I am religious due to my family size.

cybele August 5th, 2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Repti.Mom (Post 26363131)
My only memories from early church is crying and begging not to go, and drinking the confirmation wine standing in line with my parents and getting a stomach ache LOL

Haha, my earliest memory was getting hit over the knuckles with a ruler by a Nun who was saying "We would never hear that kind of foolery from the Virgin Mary, BE LIKE THE VIRGIN"

I can't remember what I did, but it was something I did during school mass (we had to go to mass every morning at school)

UrbanMomma August 5th, 2012 03:03 PM

I do have to say I very much do believe in God. I choose not to go to church because over the years I have found some of the nastiest, gossipy, hypocritical people in church.

Babymakes8 August 5th, 2012 05:53 PM

We are searching for a church to attend. I've left 2 in the last 6 years because of hypocrisy.

sarahlorrain August 6th, 2012 05:51 AM

We joined our church in 2001. We left a few years ago because of a few people. I've been wanting to go back for a long time but couldn't get dh to go. He recently took a different position at work that requires him to work on Sundays so I started going back with the kids. I'm enjoying it very much. Unfortunately, there are going to be hypocritical and judgmental people in any church, you just have to overlook those people and remember why you're there. At least, that's true for me.

Our church has a nursery babies/children for church service and Sunday School time. It's so convenient. David isn't very happy about being there, but he'll get used to it. The other kids stay with me during service, and then we all go to our Sunday School rooms.

lilymagic August 6th, 2012 08:41 AM

We aren't religous, but we do get invited to church from time to time with various friends. I'm starting to think they get some kind of tote bag of if they sign up a certin number of members and hey, they get 6 (7 soon) with just one family for us.

If we go with the girls, they're usually pretty good. DD always falls asleep, always. DSD3 can get a little nosiy, we've been known to step outside during the service so she can get her energy out. DSD2 always has questions afterwards. Lots of questions.

I do remember going to church with one my friends when we were kids (I was like the only kid who didn't go to church, so I'd get taken all the time by friends), once I went to Sunday school with a friend, and at the end the teacher said "Are there any questions", so I raised my little hand and said "So, how do we know the bible is true" and she gave an answer that basically said "Because God says it is", so I nodded and waited a few moments then raised my hand and ask "So, how do we know God exists" and she responded "The bible tells us so", so then I said, "So God exists because the Bible says so, and the Bible is true because God says so, isn't that circular logic?", I never got asked back to that church. I always tell people when they ask us to attend "Alex will have questions, we won't stop her from asking them, still want us to come?".

CalledBlessed August 6th, 2012 05:02 PM

I rather go to church with hypercritical people then go to hell with them.It is not how great we are but how wonderful God is.The only way to have a life forever is to believe that Jesus died on the Cross for your sins.God sent him and if you accept it he will baptise you in the holy spirit and live with him forever.If you do not believe in him you will go to hell.I don't want that to happen to any one....sometimes people who pose to be christians are not and hurt people.The people in a church or school who does that is not of God...In his word he tells about that in matthew.Don't judge God by bad people.Judge God by what he has done for you.He has blessed you all with a large family.You are not in control of that .If that was the case then the women who wants to get pregnant would.If you do not tell your kids about God you will be judged.I will too.If I do anything against my father I will be in trouble.Mormons are not of God...they speak against him. I am sorry if anyone has been hurt by anyone who says they are christian people who beat on you or treat you bad is not of God...Please do not allow bad people to send you to hell..In christ I love you all....It makes me sad and makes me cry.I am not better than any of you.I am just in love with my savior and he saved me.

UrbanMomma August 6th, 2012 06:01 PM

Well, I brought up hypocritical people and I choose to NOT attend church with them, especially when they are the people IN ministry positions. Choosing not to attend religious activities with those types of people has nothing to do with my belief in God. You don't need a building to worship God or to be thankful for all He has done.

Babymakes8 August 6th, 2012 06:16 PM

CalledBlessed, the first congregation I left, they preached against abortion, and then suggested I have one when I was pregnant with my 4th baby. I was so upset because I believe what the Bible says about children being gifts from the Lord and Blessed is the man who's quiver is full.

The second one I left because the youth pastor and his wife were having issues, and she was having affairs, and I couldn't allow my children to sit under their leadership, setting an example for my children with their actions. I want better for my children than that.

Just tonight I found a local church, about 15 minutes from my house. The Pastor and his wife have a large family, too (YAY!) of five kids! We're going to visit this congregation on Sunday and see if we can make it our Church Home. I'm really excited for Sunday!

Farmers-wife August 6th, 2012 06:29 PM

How could someone suggest that to you? I am so sorry! I hope you find a place with this new group. I have been unhappy and searching for something different for five years now and have had to reach a place of re accepting the imperfections (not the heresy you described) of others.

Babymakes8 August 6th, 2012 07:28 PM

FW, it was a woman in the church, in a leadership position, who was of the opinion that only people of xx amount income should have children. She is/was of the opinion that if you don't make six figures a year, or are considered poverty level, you shouldn't have more than 2 kids, if you have any at all.

My husband was working full time, and we were doing just fine, so yea, I was super offended.