JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Large Families (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/)
-   -   Budget recipes for our families.....please share! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/2611172-budget-recipes-for-our-families-please-share.html)

Counting our Blessings January 3rd, 2013 06:40 PM

Budget recipes for our families.....please share!

I made this for dessert tonight and the kids sure enjoyed it, so I thought I would share it. We use this in the summer mostly, but it's good in the winter also :smile:

Koolaid Sherbert

2 cups sugar
2 envelopes koolaid (any flavor, orange and strawberry work good)
6 cups milk

Mix in a bowl until dissolved and pour into two shallow baking dishes. Cover and freeze for one hour or until slightly thickened. Than take out of freezer and hand mix for a bit to loosen it back up. Than return to baking dishes or I put them into individual plastic disposable cups, and freeze until solid. Remove from freezer about 20 minutes before serving.

Yummy!

2pinks&ablue January 3rd, 2013 07:39 PM

Re: Budget recipes for our families.....please share!

Mmm, sounds yummy! I have a few really good ones, I'll look them up and post them later :)

AmiraX4 January 3rd, 2013 10:16 PM

Thats sounds like fun for the kids to make and yummy.....

Thanks....now I have another use for Koolaid!!!

AmiraX4 January 4th, 2013 12:04 AM

I think you asked about sharing? IMO pretty much anything you make by scratch is fair budgeting!

Just_Marie January 4th, 2013 02:04 AM

oh yummy! Gonna try that

Repti.Mom January 4th, 2013 07:33 AM

I will post our cheap meals in a bit too. If that's what you're asking :)

sarahlorrain January 4th, 2013 10:08 AM

I would love to hear about other's cheap meals too.

Our cheapest one I think would probably have to be beans, potatoes and rolls. I make a pot of beans from a bag of dried beans, so that's probably around $1, then I make 2.5 lbs of red potatoes which cost $1.25; at my store it's $2.50 for a 5 lb bag. I boil them, then put them on a baking sheet, flatten a bit with a potato smasher, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and then put a pat of butter on top of each potato. Then I bake at 350F until the edges of the broken skin start to brown. If we have any extra shredded shredded cheese I'll throw that on top to melt. I also make rolls from scratch to go with it. I don't know what the ingredients for that + the butter cost, but the whole meal has got to be less than $5 to feed us, 6 people.

Repti.Mom January 4th, 2013 10:30 AM

We have a lot of tater tot casserole. I think everyone knows what that is, but I use ground turkey instead of ground beef, or even spam (generic) is cheaper. Ground turkey from aldi is 1.59, then 2.00 for tater tots, about 1.20 for 2 cans of green beans, and about 1.00 or less for cream soup of some sort. We usually have cheese on top too, if I get it it's from aldi and only a couple bucks for 12 ounces. So about $8 for all of us, and a small scoop leftover for DH to take to work.

We also eat spaghetti and meatballs a lot. I got a TON of this fancy cheese that's like a hard swiss tasting cheese that we grate and put on top of the spaghetti instead of buying Parmesan. The meatballs I use 1 lb ground beef, 1 lb country sausage, about 3 pieces of bread, 2 eggs, and some ground cheese (usually that same cheese, but any hard cheese would work). I measure them to 2 ounces exactly, roll them not too firm (that's important) and bake for 30 minutes at 350.

Salad is something cheap for us too. I use wic to get the salad and 1 green pepper and 1 red pepper. Then it's about $7 for a 5lb bag of chicken breast, Rob grills it, and we have the salad topped with the chicken, peppers, corn, black beans, croutons, cheese. Sometimes no croutons and I serve them in tortilla bowls. I got the perfect tortilla for xmas, it's AWESOME!

MIL2lissy8 January 4th, 2013 12:11 PM

those potatoes sound awesome, sarah!!

Counting our Blessings January 4th, 2013 03:08 PM

These are great ideas ladies!! Yes, cheap meals is what I was looking for and even recipes for things we haven't tried :p

Sarah, I have looked at the beans because they are cheap and a good protein source. Can you recommend one kind over the other? And how do you prepare them?

Repti. I had forgotten about the tater tot hotdish, thanks for reminding me. I guess I'll have to look at salad again, our kids eat a ton in the summer with the garden but we don't eat much in the winter.

Just_Marie January 5th, 2013 12:10 AM

my kids are picky and don't like casserole type things that are mixed together, they like their foods plain and separate--pasta is always easy, either plain with parm or I'll make a ground beef tomato sauce that I mince the meat really fine for--I've grown picky eaters

AmiraX4 January 5th, 2013 03:40 AM

Thats funny...I had never heard of "tater tot casserole" unitl I watched an espisode of 19 kids and counting and thought it was a dish the kids made up?/ :giggle:
I doubt my kids or Dh would eat that , but sounds like its hit for sure!!

Lentil soup can be made very cheap. and saute onions to sprinkle on top along with chopped cliantro. Take arabic bread and cut it into squares are bake in EVOO till golden crunchy. Very hearty and super filling.

sarahlorrain January 5th, 2013 09:32 AM

I usually use pinto beans. I can't remember exactly how I do it. I haven't cooked them in a long time because I couldn't stand the during my first trimester when I was so nauseous. I pretty much rinsed them, covered with water, bring to a boil, add some seasonings and butter and cook until done. I like using some creole seasoning on them.

Repti.Mom January 5th, 2013 12:27 PM

I don't like cilantro. I tried it in several recipes it's just too strong flavored.

Another thing we eat that's not too expensive is tater tots and fish sticks. They have a bag at walmart that is 7.99 for like a million sticks and it lasts at LEAST three meals. If we have extra $ I put the sticks on a hamburger bun with sliced cheese and tartar sauce.

Get a cheap beef roast, chunk it, slow cooker all day with gravy, then serve over noodles. I will be making this with mushrooms since a friend is bringing the majority of a flat of mushrooms lol

Just_Marie January 5th, 2013 05:53 PM

Anything frozen must be more expensive to ship up here, tater tots and fish sticks cost me $8 a bag and there's no way they'd last three meals

AmiraX4 January 5th, 2013 08:43 PM

I would like to know how you get your kids to eat things like tator tots and fish sticks??? my kids just dont like any frozen meals. the package brand names one im talking about like my mother bought some lean cuisne kids for them young ones and wouldnt even open thier mouth :giggle:

Repti.Mom January 6th, 2013 11:35 AM

Ill have to look how many is in the bag. I think its like 144? or something, for 7.99.

as for getting them to eat, you put it in front of them and say eat or dont. not my stomach.

Counting our Blessings January 7th, 2013 07:41 AM

Thanks ladies!

sarahlorrain January 7th, 2013 01:01 PM

LOL, yeah, here's what's for dinner. Next meal is in the morning. :D

mom2many2010 January 7th, 2013 06:47 PM

The meals in my house are never 'cheape' there's just cheaper. Sam being vegetarian means buying some meat substitutes and soups separate from ours. Those are mainly for dishes where she will have nothing to eat cause it's a one pot type thing. Then there has to be enough leftovers for the hubby and son to take to work, Sam is happy with a cheese sandwich.

we eat a lot of potato's (we do live in Idaho) and rice. I'm not a fan of rice, but the hubby loves it and so do the kids. Ramen noodles can be cooked many different ways. Beans, not a fan of them, it's a texture thing so if they refried I have a hard time eating them.

Amira, when I lived in Cali we lived in a predominately Arabic community and I loved going down to the small grocery store and trying out new things. Half of the stuff I could never pronounce but the man that worked there always assured me I would love it, he was right lol. I miss the breads, I can't find any out here :(