JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Large Families (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/)
-   -   diaper rash/sores (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/2635797-diaper-rash-sores.html)

Counting our Blessings March 18th, 2013 02:34 PM

diaper rash/sores

Our little guy, 18 months, has had a few sores on his bum for about 5 weeks now and I have tried everything I can think of to clear it up.

One of our other boys had a staph infection on his bum when he was little and it almost looks like that.

It's not a "rash" more like an little sore, than it clears up and another one starts. He's in cloth normally, but we switched him to disposible for a week and they got a little better, but didnt' go away. Now we are doing cloth during the day and disposible at night.

Any thoughts/experiences?

He shares diapers with his sister and a few brothers wear them overnight, and they don't have any problems :confused:

Repti.Mom March 18th, 2013 02:52 PM

Re: diaper rash/sores

I'd take him to the doctor first. If they say it's "just a rash" then I would switch laundry soap, or start rinsing your diapers more. Washing soda effects some kids really really badly.

If I don't rinse my diapers enough and wash with something with washing soda Sebastian gets blisters on his penis. The one time I was using my own made soap for diapers his butt was SOO bad for a long time. Even if I use something with washing soda and his diaper leaks and it gets on his clothes and touches his skin he'll break out.

Did you try California baby? It's a thicker diaper cream that is ok for cloth. Coconut oil and CJ's doesn't do crap around here.

Genipher March 18th, 2013 06:58 PM

I was also having problems with homemade laundry soap causing rashes. Since then, I've switched back to store-bought "perfume and dye free" soap.

However, coconut oil seems to help my kids' diaper rash more than anything else out there

mom2many2010 March 18th, 2013 09:34 PM

Have you tried any of the over the counter anti-fungal creams? Since it goes away and comes back I'm thinking fungal, but I could be wrong...

UrbanMomma March 19th, 2013 04:51 AM

Hmmm, I don't know. Mine never have any diaper rash, except for Kya when she was a newborn and they gave it to her in the NICU!!!

clouise March 19th, 2013 07:31 AM

I was thinking it could be fungal as well. The only never-ending "mystery rash" we've dealt with was yeast. I just bought an anti-fungal that said for athlete's foot or jock itch and that did the trick. You can get a prescription cream, but I thought the over the counter anti-fungal worked just as well. It's worth a try anyway. If it is fungal you should see an improvement right away.

MIL2lissy8 March 19th, 2013 11:23 AM

yup - i thought yeast as well. my one son used to have it so bad we had cloth diapers from a service and they had to 'treat' them specially for him. he used asteroid cream and a fungal cream, i think. i would go to the dr and make sure. if it is a staph infection, that is contagious. but then you know that already.....

UrbanMomma March 19th, 2013 12:38 PM

I'm tired, it took me a minute to realize that was a steroid cream and not asteroid, like meteor....LOL.

Counting our Blessings March 19th, 2013 03:14 PM

UM, that made me laugh.

I'll give the fungal treatment a try. Thanks ladies, I didn't even think of that.

We do make our own laundry soap and it has washing soda in it. We've used it a long time and had not trouble, but I guess it would be worth switching to something else for the diapers.

I'll let you know how the fungal cream works. You think I should see results fairly quick?

Thanks ladies!

Beth, poor Bastian. Ouchie.

Repti.Mom March 19th, 2013 04:22 PM

Yeah I know! Rockin' Green works well, and I know it has washing soda in it, but I do an extra rinse on the wash load, then run a whole extra load with the extra rinse and it's good.