JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Large Families (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/)
-   -   Got my amnio results (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/2641766-got-my-amnio-results.html)

mommy2lilmen April 9th, 2013 02:44 AM

Got my amnio results

My baby has downs syndrome. I also am having my first girl. I got the amnio done because my harmony test came back positive. I am especially happy I am having a girl. I just hope I can have some people to talk on this other issue.

Jenilope April 9th, 2013 07:27 AM

Re: Got my amnio results

:heart:
Congratulations on your first daughter. I bet she is going to bring an unimaginable level of sweetness to your whole family.
I can't imagine what you're feeling right now about the Down's Syndrome results but I'm sure you both will end up being a blessing to each other. My prayers are with you and I am sure you will be able to find lots of information and support.
Have you considered names yet?

mom2many2010 April 9th, 2013 07:37 AM

Congrat's on your very first baby girl!!

Sorry about the downs, but it's not the 'end of the world'. Just remember it's a part of who she is, and not who she is.

Name idea's yet?

~mommy~ April 9th, 2013 08:24 AM

Congratulations on your baby girl.
A few years ago I read a birth story by a woman who's dd has down's syndrome. It is beautifully written and honest. She went on to have a book about it published called Bloom, her name is Kelle Hampton and her dds name is Nella. I will add links if you're interested. She already had stepsons and a dd, I learned in searching for the info, they have added a ds to their family.:wub:
http://www.kellehampton.com/2010/01/...rth-story.html
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2...thers-journey/

Momtothe6thpower April 9th, 2013 08:39 AM

Congrats on your baby girl!!!

Have you read the birth story of Nella Cordelia? It's really quite beautiful and my be a good start in your search of finding others. Here's the link...
http://www.kellehampton.com/2010/01/...rth-story.html

When I found out one of my children had an illness that couldn't be cured. I felt scared, devastated, hurt, angry, completely helpless, etc. I know this isn't the same thing but I imagine that I (not sure about others) would feel the same things I felt at that time had I found out my baby had Down's. I spent a period of time grieving for the life I had dreamed my child would have had...the one where she didn't have to struggle. People made me feel guilty for it but I know now that it was normal. It was just part of moving on. I also know those feelings go away and usually faster than you think they will. Your love makes you strong and you begin arm yourself with knowledge. Next thing you know it just...'is what it is'....Life.

LOL! ~mommy~ beat me to it!!

AmiraX4 April 9th, 2013 09:55 AM

Congrats!

mommy2lilmen April 9th, 2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2many2010 (Post 27270572)
Congrat's on your very first baby girl!!

Sorry about the downs, but it's not the 'end of the world'. Just remember it's a part of who she is, and not who she is.

Name idea's yet?

I had a bunch as you can imagine

Alyssa Faith Marie (ally for short)

mommy2lilmen April 9th, 2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momtothe6thpower (Post 27270746)
Congrats on your baby girl!!!

Have you read the birth story of Nella Cordelia? It's really quite beautiful and my be a good start in your search of finding others. Here's the link...
Enjoying the Small Things: Nella Cordelia: A Birth Story

When I found out one of my children had an illness that couldn't be cured. I felt scared, devastated, hurt, angry, completely helpless, etc. I know this isn't the same thing but I imagine that I (not sure about others) would feel the same things I felt at that time had I found out my baby had Down's. I spent a period of time grieving for the life I had dreamed my child would have had...the one where she didn't have to struggle. People made me feel guilty for it but I know now that it was normal. It was just part of moving on. I also know those feelings go away and usually faster than you think they will. Your love makes you strong and you begin arm yourself with knowledge. Next thing you know it just...'is what it is'....Life.

LOL! ~mommy~ beat me to it!!

yes I was that way when they diagnosed my 5th son with autism. I was lost for feelings and the way people were making it seem was that he would struggle. He has yet to struggle?? Anyways, I was devastated with the ultrasound results but I grew to accept it. I still am accepting it. I have a lot to read up on about this whole thing. I have read Nellas story many times befor I had even fell pregnant this time. Beautiful.

Repti.Mom April 9th, 2013 01:44 PM

Congrats on your girl :)

I'm glad that you went with the testing so that you could be assured either way. I know that's what you really needed, no matter that she tested positive.

I have a problem with that lady in that blog. I just thought about it the other day in fact. If she made SUCH a production out of this baby's birth, and she expected everything to be so perfect, and knew that she would be initially so upset that the baby wasn't "perfect" why didn't SHE do any genetic testing?

Farmers-wife April 9th, 2013 02:48 PM

Congrats on a girl! You will work out the details on the downs. Praying for a safe and healthy delivery.

aln030482 April 9th, 2013 02:56 PM

Congratulations on your first daughter!!! I hope your little girl brings you the exceptional joy that only little girls can!!!

Momtothe6thpower April 9th, 2013 04:46 PM

Repti, I'm assuming there was nothing that raised concerns. A friend of mine's baby was unexpectedly born with Down's. She didn't do any genetic testing because none of her u/s raised any questions. She took it HARD. She didn't get that extra time to process and educate herself.

I'm a fan of the name Alyssa! That's my oldest dd's name. I had planned to call her Aly too but she didn't look like an Aly so I called her Elsa for the first 4 year of her life (don't ask it just fit), now she's Lyss. Faith is my 2nd dd's (2nd) middle name too, lol!

mommy2lilmen April 9th, 2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momtothe6thpower (Post 27272280)
Repti, I'm assuming there was nothing that raised concerns. A friend of mine's baby was unexpectedly born with Down's. She didn't do any genetic testing because none of her u/s raised any questions. She took it HARD. She didn't get that extra time to process and educate herself.

I'm a fan of the name Alyssa! That's my oldest dd's name. I had planned to call her Aly too but she didn't look like an Aly so I called her Elsa for the first 4 year of her life (don't ask it just fit), now she's Lyss. Faith is my 2nd dd's (2nd) middle name too, lol!

how awesome. :)

UrbanMomma April 9th, 2013 07:06 PM

Congrats on a baby girl!! Pretty name!

I think I would have wanted the time to educate myself on DS, but would love her the same, as I am sure you will!

Congrats again!

therevslady April 9th, 2013 07:33 PM

I hope the fact that you are finally getting your precious baby girl overshadows the darkness of any other news. That is such a beautiful name! You are going to be such a great mama for this little girl.

#5in2005 April 9th, 2013 07:59 PM

Thinking of you and all you're going through... you have some time to process and get used to the idea.

Love the name, Faith is my #5's middle name.

MIL2lissy8 April 9th, 2013 09:08 PM

annick!!! i TOLD you she was a girl!!!! congrats and many blessing to you. she will be a gift for your family in ways you will not understand for a long time. learn all you can in advance and be prepared to advocate for her in all ways, especially school. she can probably lead a pretty normal life, with your support and love.

BTW -- i noticed you said you are having your 'first' girl. does that mean now that you know you can birth girls that you plan a sister for her?!!

Babymakes8 April 10th, 2013 07:48 AM

Congrats on your first baby girl!! I'm so happy for you!!

I too have issue with Kelle Hampton and her blog, but the positive side of it is Nella is an example of a child with DS who doesn't have a lot of the medical issues that come with. She is a beautiful little girl, just as I'm sure yours will be!

mommy2lilmen April 10th, 2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIL2lissy8 (Post 27272957)
annick!!! i TOLD you she was a girl!!!! congrats and many blessing to you. she will be a gift for your family in ways you will not understand for a long time. learn all you can in advance and be prepared to advocate for her in all ways, especially school. she can probably lead a pretty normal life, with your support and love.

BTW -- i noticed you said you are having your 'first' girl. does that mean now that you know you can birth girls that you plan a sister for her?!!

lol no, probably no sister for her. :) I hope I can birth her tho. I fear that something someone somehow will take her away. :(