JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Large Families (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/)
-   -   Longer early labors after many pregnancies? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/2648350-longer-early-labors-after-many-pregnancies.html)

4 boys May 5th, 2013 03:51 PM

Longer early labors after many pregnancies?

Hello Large Family ladies,

I haven't posted here in a long, long time, but I have a question about labor and was wondering if anyone could offer any insight. I've heard it said that the more pregnancies you have, the longer your early labour can be, as in days or a week of contractions that aren't too serious before going into actual labour.

Have you found this to be true?

I'm having my 5th and for almost the past week I've been having bouts of contractions. The last few days they've been every day for hours and hours, 5-10 minutes apart but not particularly painful, and of course quitting once I go to bed. Just wondering if I'll actually go into labor at the end of this :rolleyes: and if this is common among 5th+ pregnancies.

aln030482 May 5th, 2013 04:52 PM

Re: Longer early labors after many pregnancies?

This may not answer your question, but I'll share what happened to me.... I noticed with my 5th pregnancy that what you're describing is very similar to how my contractions were. At my 37 week OB appt. I mentioned this to my OB, & as a precaution because we had to have a repeat c-section, he sent me to L&D to be monitored. My contractions were actually every 10 minutes a part when I arrived, so they gave me IV fluids to see if it would stop them, since my OB doesn't use any type of medication to formally stop labor after 37 weeks. Well instead of stopping my labor, the IV fluids did just the opposite. I went from contractions every 10 minutes to every 2-3, and dilated 3 cm. in a matter of an hour. We then decided that it was time for the c-section.

mamato4andc May 5th, 2013 05:47 PM

I have 4 kids and they were all different in lengths of labor but I never had contractions until I was actually in labor.

Christina642 May 5th, 2013 09:32 PM

I was induced with my first 3. Then #4 I went into labor on my own. I was having regular contractions for 3 days prior to my water breaking. Then my labor stoped and I had to be induced to finish the job. I was wondering this same question as you since this is my 5th as well.

clouise May 6th, 2013 07:39 AM

I'm not sure Erin, but I wonder if these contactions are actually dilating you. I wouldn't be surprised at all if by the time you actually start real labor you're already like at 4+.

Best of luck! And I can't wait to hear what you have.

4 boys May 6th, 2013 08:43 AM

^^I am thinking the same. I am having other signs of dilation so I'm hoping it's not all useless! I have an appointment tomorrow so I hope to find out.

8forus May 6th, 2013 12:04 PM

I had weeks of early regular contractions with all but one of mine. With that one I felt very blessed because I was dilating without contractions until I went into transition. At that point it was one long contraction for 45 minutes until he was born.

therevslady May 11th, 2013 06:52 AM

I didn't have any prelabor with my first or my third, but I had weeks and weeks of early labor with my second and fourth. It was SO HARD. I wound up being induced with my second due to pre-e and being 42 weeks. I went into labor (ish) naturally with my fourth at 42.2 weeks. I did have long early labor with my 3rd and 4th though. Contractions remained 10 mins apart (cervix was dilating though) until my water broke with both of those kids. Once my water broke, I had about 20-30 mins of active labor and pushed those babies out both very quickly.

Alison79 May 11th, 2013 08:45 AM

Yes, starting with #3 I had weeks of prodromal labor. By the time #7 was born I was used to it. My midwife said it is very common. She has 6 and experienced it herself :)

4 boys May 13th, 2013 06:26 PM

Thanks for the replies. It's been two weeks now and I've just chalked it up to normal and ignored it for the most part!