JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Large Families (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/)
-   -   I need advice ladies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/2656154-i-need-advice-ladies.html)

cnote June 5th, 2013 04:30 AM

I need advice ladies

My MIL lives close by and watches my kids often. She knows where everything in my house is and she know the kids routines very well. We were planning on having her and my mom watch the kids for 2 nights and 3 days while DH and I go on a mini vacation. My mom knows the kids and they are comfortable with her but she doesn't see them often and she is not super comfortable in my house and doesn't know where everything is at.

The kicker is that my MIL had carpal tunnel surgery on her dominant hand (right) and we were planning on leaving 9 days after her surgery. Do you think this is a bad idea? She says she will be fine but I am worried it will be too much for them. My MIL won't be able to use her right hand at all. We planned this only because my mom would be visiting and the kids would have 2 people to watch them.

So what would you do? Do we go or do we cancel? Maybe just do a local day trip or something? I hate to flake on my husband but I don't want my MIL to destroy her hand by doing too much either.

The twins will be done with kindergarten so it will be watching all 4 kids (3, 4, 6, 6)

Farmers-wife June 5th, 2013 05:01 AM

Re: I need advice ladies

Go. Totally. Not even a question. They will be fine with two grandmas.

mom2many2010 June 5th, 2013 07:55 AM

Go. I think two grandma's will be able to figure it out :)

AmiraX4 June 5th, 2013 08:30 AM

^^ agree!!!

HalfDozen June 5th, 2013 08:49 AM

Definitely go! Carpal tunnel surgery is not what it once was. My mother-in-law was back to knitting within a few days, and a woman at work who had it done was back to work the next day.

sarahlorrain June 5th, 2013 09:57 AM

Go!! They can figure it out, I'm sure.

clouise June 5th, 2013 10:04 AM

I think you should . Your mom will help out if mil needs a rest.

LABs June 5th, 2013 11:43 AM

I'd cancel if she were by herself, but with both grandmas I think they will be fine. There are no babies to carry.

Momtothe6thpower June 5th, 2013 12:26 PM

Yeah, GO! MIL will just be taking the place of you if you were there while your mom was. The kids are going to be excited to be around her and she will more than likely keep them entertained and MIL will just be there to guide them.

*Whiskey* June 5th, 2013 12:44 PM

I agree, go if both will be there!

UrbanMomma June 5th, 2013 01:20 PM

No, stay home, don't go, how cruel and selfish can you be.................

Just kidding, I agree with everyone else, the mom and MIL will manage just fine. Enjoy your mini vacay!!

cnote June 5th, 2013 06:07 PM

Thanks ladies! My MIL is a little crazy about following doctor orders but I ran everything past my mom and she said she can handle the bulk of everything.

We may switch things up a little because my Mom needs to leave on Saturday afternoon and I don't want my MIL alone with the kids for more than a couple hours. We may just stay 4 hrs away vs 7 hrs. Either way I know Dh and I will be very excited for the break!

Counting our Blessings June 5th, 2013 06:39 PM

Go and ENJOY!!!

#5in2005 June 6th, 2013 09:02 AM

Have FUN!!!