JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Large Families (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/)
-   -   Large family meals! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/2663568-large-family-meals.html)

AmiraX4 July 4th, 2013 03:04 PM

Large family meals!

What would say are the 2 easiest meals to prepare for your large family and they like to eat?

UrbanMomma July 4th, 2013 04:42 PM

Re: Large family meals!

Tacos and spaghetti

Farmers-wife July 4th, 2013 07:27 PM

Chick fil a. Pizza.

AmiraX4 July 4th, 2013 09:44 PM

I would have to say my homemade pizza is a hit everytime!! we love it.

And lamb and rice any variation on it !!!

MIL2lissy8 July 5th, 2013 10:34 AM

pulling a blank right now....sorry.

UrbanMomma July 5th, 2013 12:47 PM

We do homemade pizza too the kids like.

Chili, ranch chicken pasta....

Jenilope July 6th, 2013 01:02 PM

Spaghetti with meat or veggie sauce, salad and garlic cheese bread or breadsticks is always a hit here.

The other big hit is mini apple cheddar turkey meatloves, sweet potatoes (baked, oven baked fries, hash, grilled, or pieces baked with onion and thyme--I love sweet potatoes so my "poor darlings" have to eat them all the time!) and peas or other green veg and some apple sauce.
I use this recipe (I think originally from Southern Living?) for making the mini loaves--it only makes 8 mini loaves so I usually at least double it but it's quick--like 30 mins from start to table.

Apple Cheddar Turkey Mini Meatloaves
20oz ground turkey
1/4c Panko (japanese) bread crumbs
1 medium onion, shredded
1 medium granny smith apple, shredded
1 lightly beaten egg
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
1 1/4 c. cheddar cheese, divided in half

1. Heat oven to 375
2. Combine all ingredients + 1/2 cheddar cheese until just mixed (easiest to do it with your hands, you don't want to over-work it)
3. divide into 8 portions, and shape each into a mini loaf on a lined cookie sheet
4. Bake 16 minutes
5. Sprinkle reserved cheese over the tops and bake 5 minutes more (often I just put all the cheese into the loaves and skip this, opting instead to bake for 20 minutes straight)

LABs July 18th, 2013 04:26 PM

Chili, spaghetti, soups. My family loves mashed potatoes and barbeque meat. Either chicken or steak. We can get Petite serloin cheap. Its cheaper than chicken, so we have it at leasst once a week. Usually for Sunday dinner. We also rotisserie turkey often. I can get a turkey breast for under $7 from Target and we have a stand alone rotisserie to cook it in. Its the perfect size for our family of 6 plus my brother.

*Whiskey* July 19th, 2013 03:39 PM

Lasagna, enchiladas, shepherd's pie. All served with dinner rolls, crescent rolls or something side dishy to stretch it a little further.

AmiraX4 July 19th, 2013 05:10 PM

oooh yum.....can we come to your houses for dinner????

Jenilope I am not a fan of fruit and meat cooked together, BUT that does sound good the mini loafs. I think the apple being shredded makes it doable. I think I will try that recipe sometime after I have the baby.. Thats a pretty healthy and quick dinner!! just what I like !!

thanks for sharing!