JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Large Families (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/)
-   -   Do you bathe your children together? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/2677479-do-you-bathe-your-children-together.html)

AmiraX4 September 8th, 2013 02:48 PM

Do you bathe your children together?

So I was doing another thread talking about bath time and it got me thinking.....so to use time wisely these days, I have been doing single file line for bath time.

I let the water run and take the shower head to use for rinsing. I dont let the water stand in the tub and I wash DS alone then after him I start with the girls. but the line is continous with the girls.

DD1 was taking showers by herself but that was short lived. Her hair falls below her bottom so its very long and hard for her to wash alone and the shampoo kept getting in her eyes...but anyhow thats another story..

Bath time is crazy time and i just really want to make this time as smooth as can be.

So my Q is, how do YOU manage bath time with alot of young ones?

( Obvisiously this only applies to my 5 littles and not my 3 older ones! )

Momtothe6thpower September 8th, 2013 04:05 PM

Re: Do you bathe your children together?

I put the two youngest girls in together but the rest of my kids take showers. Two (kids) at night and two in the mornings.

UrbanMomma September 8th, 2013 04:54 PM

Obviously this applies to my youngers too.

I bathe the younger three boys all together, usually I have my 3 yo dd jump in the shower with 7yo dd.

~mommy~ September 8th, 2013 05:49 PM

3 older are on their own.
3 younger, I wash their hair in the sink, one right after another.
then bathe the 2 little girls together, and leave the water running for ds to bathe himself. He does still need help getting out.
Thankfully this past week we had an instant water heater installed, so that should make life much easier. I was told it's supposed to cut down your electrical bill too. That would be an awesome bonus, fingers crossed.

AnnaBanana77 September 8th, 2013 10:11 PM

My youngest is 2, and the next youngest is 8, and then 10, 13 & almost 15, so they all shower/bathe alone. When they were younger though, yes, I bathed them all together. Except for the oldest, once he got to be past 5 or 6, I started bathing him separately. My bath/shower time struggle is getting the older kids to take charge of their own hygiene and take showers every day, and WANT to be clean, lol. My oldest showers every day, sometimes twice a day (especially during football & basketball season). It's nice having a teen boy who wants to be clean and takes pride in being a clean, nice smelling boy.

Repti.Mom September 9th, 2013 05:26 AM

Only the youngest two take baths. Noah showers himself in the morning before school, then I get up the other 4 that go to the school in the AM and they take showers, RJ has to go first otherwise he'll run out of time to eat breakfast. Sebastian gets a bath every few days in the late morning before school, and Weston gets a bath when I feel like throwing him in there LOL

I should add I make the girls shower every day, though they're still little and dont HAVE to, ever since the whole girl that slept over with lice thing. I have tea tree oil in the shampoo.

mamato4andc September 9th, 2013 09:51 PM

Either girls with girls
(6, 21 months) and boys with boys(8,4) or oldest two shower separately and younger to bathe together. They usually bathe/shower every other day. I'm teaching the 4 year old to wash himself but for right now I have to help the younger two.

Babymakes8 September 10th, 2013 04:11 AM

my kids for the most part bathe separately. Youngest 2 boys (8 and 5) sometimes bathe together, but usually not because 5 yr old still needs help and the rest of the kids bathe themselves.

*Whiskey* September 10th, 2013 06:04 AM

Our 5 year olds are the only ones that still take baths, the others take showers. Normally the three older children are given 10 minutes to shower each and they generally stick to that. The 5 year old boy, DH bathes, and he will take about 15 minutes or so in the bath. My 5 year old daughter however, will stay in the bath til it gets cold.

None of them bathe together. I don't think they ever have. I don't have anything against it at all and would if I could manage it lol. My two older boys when they were little enough to bathe I think I tried it once or twice and it was a constant issue of "he's on my side of the bath" type thing lol. :rolleyes:

clouise September 11th, 2013 08:43 AM

Eight and seven year old go alone, three and five year old usually go together. Sometimes I use the same water twice. They are little...if I pay to fill the whole thing up with hot soapy water, I hate to drain it when they want to get out a few minutes later. I just put the next kid in.

At our old house we had two tubs and I used to bathe all four at once...two in each tub. But now we've moved...and the older two were ready to go alone.

mom2many2010 September 11th, 2013 01:12 PM

I bathe the ones who are close in age together, regardless of sex, and the ones who don't need my help do it alone. Now Kailyn who is 3 showers with everyone and pretty much anyone if they'll let her. Heck she doesn't even ask half the time, just draws her own bath and jumps in.

When my older kids were teens, we had a bathroom schedule, there was even room for if a friends stayed the night on a school night. Before I decided to do that there was nothing but fights.

Iluvmybabies* September 13th, 2013 08:43 PM

I bath the oldest 3 together and my 19mo old alone, I will bath baby alone until baby can sit up then I will bath the 2 youngest together!

AmiraX4 September 15th, 2013 09:46 AM

Thanks for sharing !!

How do you successfully get an almost 7 yr old girl ( with such long hair ) to shower and not get shampoo in her eyes and get her clean???

We are talking now about getting her hair cut :o ....its her idea not mine...but hoping that will help a little in this matter.

clouise September 16th, 2013 08:13 AM

We have hair issues too. My oldest is 8 1/2. She does her own body, and then I come in and wash and condition her hair. I think she is getting kind of old, but I'm still doing it for now. It is very thick and hard to do on her own. My son is seven and does everything himself...he has short hair.

I would say make sure she can reach the detachable shower head...my kids have a much much easier time with that than a regular shower. And buy the tear free shampoo. Maybe let her pick out some new shampoo or something that she is excited to use herself. And then tell her she doesn't need to use but a little bit, because my kids will use the whole bottle in no time if I don't remind them. Even with long hair you don't want to use too much or you will be rinsing forever.

AmiraX4 October 2nd, 2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clouise (Post 27658268)
We have hair issues too. My oldest is 8 1/2. She does her own body, and then I come in and wash and condition her hair. I think she is getting kind of old, but I'm still doing it for now. It is very thick and hard to do on her own. My son is seven and does everything himself...he has short hair.

I would say make sure she can reach the detachable shower head...my kids have a much much easier time with that than a regular shower. And buy the tear free shampoo. Maybe let her pick out some new shampoo or something that she is excited to use herself. And then tell her she doesn't need to use but a little bit, because my kids will use the whole bottle in no time if I don't remind them. Even with long hair you don't want to use too much or you will be rinsing forever.

Problem mostly solved!! DD1 chopped her hair off this past saturday. I took all 3 girls and DS4 to get hair cuts since I was going to get my hair done and she surprisingly went through with cutting her hair off that went past her bottom. Its now a one length bob! looks great and she is having so much fun styling her hair and TAKING A SHOWER TO WASH HER OWN HAIR!!. yyeaahhh...

wishing October 7th, 2013 08:55 PM

We get the shower going and start with the second youngest and they each take a shower one at a time. Sometimes someone will take a bath with the baby, but most of the time I just bathe her alone.

AmiraX4 October 8th, 2013 09:33 AM

I give my newborn her bath alone just because the 2 yr old she would just be to splashy for her but Im sure she would have fun when she is a little older.

jessmgt October 10th, 2013 08:19 PM

Good question, I'm the odd one out though... the youngest showers with me, regardless of sex until s/he can stand up alone. A bouncy chair in the bathroom or mad dash to the livingroom with a wet baby just in a diaper if dh is home always works best for me:) I learned with my ds#1 how to wash myself quick enough, and having baby straddling one of my legs propped up on side of my tub felt comfortable for me, and felt like I could rinse off a crusty baby better than a baby bathtub...
followed this pattern through both my boys and dd who's 5and still showers with me mostly to be quick enough.
our 4 boys shower alone, before school every morning, but it was a challenge to get the now 10 year old to learn to wash himself thurough enough... hm...
Well have to see how this next one plays out, every baby deals with water differently:)

LABs October 11th, 2013 09:10 PM

We've always had a big tub in every house. My oldest was terrified of water, so I'd have to bf her and wash her at the same time. I've hopped in with all of them since. The tub is too deep for me to lean over into it. I pass them out to my DH when they are done. My 4 yr old just started taking showers. My DH is teaching him to clean hhimself as I can't bend over at this point to do it.