JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Large Families (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/)
-   -   Hand me down shoes? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/2712575-hand-me-down-shoes.html)

AmiraX4 March 15th, 2014 10:33 AM

Hand me down shoes?

Do have any issues with doing that?

UrbanMomma March 15th, 2014 10:47 AM

Re: Hand me down shoes?

None at all.

we do hand me down shoes in the family and I will buy shoes at thrift stores if they look good.

Momtothe6thpower March 15th, 2014 11:39 AM

We hardly ever have them because my kids are hard on shoes and all have very different feet.

cybele March 15th, 2014 01:27 PM

Ours don't really last, I think it's because pretty much everything is unpaved around here, they wear down a lot easier.

#5in2005 March 15th, 2014 03:30 PM

we did when they were little, but now they're older then tend to wear them out and/or completely destroy them.

angelinal09 March 15th, 2014 03:51 PM

They don't really last from kid to kid but if I see some at a consignment store that have barely been used, yes, I'll buy them.

~mommy~ March 15th, 2014 06:15 PM

Yes they do when they are younger or if they last from dc to dc.

AmiraX4 March 16th, 2014 10:32 AM

DD2 is the hardest on everything not only shoes even if I wanted to pass something from her down, it wouldnt happen lool...

UM a very close friend of mine and I were out looking for a few baskets for something without spending alot so we went to a used store and sitting next to them was a pair of womens shoes that were BRAND NEW!!!!! Price tag still on the bottom and Never even worn.......they are a brand name I cant recall as it was some time ago but for FIVE DOLLARS!!! $5 !! it doesnt get any better than that. I love finds like that.

Spottts March 16th, 2014 11:25 AM

Yep, we pass down shoes.

Dress shoes don't get worn out by the oldest so those are always passed down.

One girl only likes sneakers after they've been broken in by someone else. Lol. Glad she has the smallest feet, too. I figured it out after having her try on brand new shoes like handed down ones and she consistently complained they hurt -store after store and month after month.

Sarah7181 March 17th, 2014 07:45 AM

From older kids to younger kids, absolutely! Thrift store, not so much really. I have from once upon a child, but the price tends to not be alll that great, andy boys wide widths and the girls are so rough on tjeir shoes! Also, jared grew up very very poor and never had anything new. So he has am aversion to me buying used shoes. Lol since they get their wear and I can get some really great deals shopping smart, I let him have that.

Repti.Mom March 17th, 2014 09:30 AM

They usually don't last. We have a neighbor whose son has all brand name shoes all the time, and she gives me what he grows out of.

mom2many2010 March 18th, 2014 09:32 AM

Infant/toddler shoes passed down doesn't bother me. We also have high quality hiking boots that get passes down, especially with the boys who's feet grow like weeds. Beyond that we buy new.

~mommy~ March 18th, 2014 06:50 PM

Oh also totally LOVE thrift stores and some dear friends with dc just a little bigger than mine who buy AWESOME!!!! shoes...lol

AmiraX4 March 18th, 2014 10:29 PM

^^ got any great tips for shopping?

~mommy~ March 19th, 2014 06:51 AM

I usually go to value world they have better prices than salvation army. They also send out half off coupons. Shoes are easier than clothes. You can tell quickly if they look about the right size and if they are in good condition then look closer to see if they are actually the right size.
Clothes the racks are usually jam packed and not in any size order so it's like a needle in a haystack.
I have found some Hanna Anderson though like gold lol.
Then when all my dc outgrow their stuff I pack it up and donate it back.
To get over the attachment I may have to some items. I just remind myself how excited I was to find them and that another mom will feel the same. :wub:

Christina&Co. March 19th, 2014 07:29 AM

I will buy from thrift stores if I see they're in good condition and not overpriced. Passing them down from dc to dc doesn't seem practical. There's a 7 year gap between my two DDs and one isn't even walking yet. I'd rather donate the shoes so others can use them. There's a shorter gap between my DS1 and DS2 - only 4 years, but DS1 destroys his shoes, so there again, no passing them down.

clouise March 21st, 2014 05:06 AM

Tennis shoes they wear out and get trashed after each kid. Dress shoes I can usually pass down between the girls. Soccer cleats and dance shoes also....

deaths final kiss April 11th, 2014 09:45 PM

Not as much anymore, both of my boys are hard on them. Usually the "nice" sneakers get passed down to his brother for "play" shoes. We always look for converses at the thrift shops, since they can be thrown in the washer easily. They also hold up well, and are all being saved for our youngest. The skate shoes wear out really fast in comparison.