JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Large Families (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/)
-   -   Lying..... what to do about it (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f75-large-families/6456-lying-what-to-do-about.html)

TeresaSuperMama November 19th, 2004 04:32 AM

Ok, I know someone has to have this problem. My boys have all become lyers. My oldest is by far the worst and usually he is the one that is lying, but sometimes it is the other two boys. How do you deal with this when you got one kid telling you one thing and another telling you something completely different. You know one of them is lying. You suspect you know which one is lying, but can't be for sure. You don't want to punish the one you suspect because what if you are wrong. Unfortunately, this incident plays out in our house way too often.

Any advice

Teresa

zonapellucida November 19th, 2004 06:04 AM

Tough one--I have started punishing everyone for the "not me" that I am trying to eradicate. We also have this stupid thing where you have to put your tongue out becasue if there is a black line down the middle you are lying (LOL still works for my 6 and 7) So whoever refuses to put out their tongue is usualy responsible. Yes, my parents were odd. But I am recently learning not to ask"who???....then add the crime. I now state "someone......and if I am not told by the count of 3 then you are all being punished" But I assume he is lying about other stuff too??? Since I am big on child rearing by books I will see what I can dig up short of beating them. I know lying is usaully a part of seeing how far they can get with us--the little monsters.

Cindermella November 19th, 2004 07:52 AM

as annoying as it is .... its normal

you have to punish for lies and explain to them why it is wrong

momto6 November 19th, 2004 08:02 AM

Me! My 2 older kids flat out lie. The third is still somewhat honest. The oldest two trained the youngest two to say "not me" when we would ask who, so we quit. We haven't figured it out yet. We tried standing them in the corner until someone cracked, but found that they never cracked. Then, guilt would kick in for the one who wasn't lying even though we weren't sure which one it was. *sigh* Fortunately, eventually if I want to know bad enough, which is not always the case, I can do a tiny bit of eavesdropping and find out pretty quick, and they aren't very good at it, so they usually slip up within a day or so.

mineforever November 19th, 2004 12:27 PM

well here in our house we punish all involved parties(guilty or not) when no one will come out and be honest. They get time outs or toys taken away or both. I have tried the hot sauce routine and that works but the last time I used it my eldest puked it up. not a punishment, I want to continue if I get punished as well. lol. but usually all I have to do is bring it out and the guilty one confesses. and we 've told them that if they are honest with us the punishment will be less severe. Usually my ds (4) gives away his guilt by his dimples. he just can't lie well at all! and with Jacob I use mothers intuition and it words really well. I for some reason can tell when he's not honest. I hate lying and in our house it's really serious. and priviliges are taken away for a week or more for it.

mineforever November 19th, 2004 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by zonapellucida@Nov 19 2004, 08:04 AM
We also have this stupid thing where you have to put your tongue out becasue if there is a black line down the middle you are lying (LOL still works for my 6 and 7)* So whoever refuses to put out their tongue is usualy responsible.* Yes, my parents were odd.
HAHALOL! that is AWESOME!! I love it! lol I'm going to try that the next time I'm in that situation..

do you ever have the kids go to the bathroom to check out their own tongue? what do they say when they can't see it.?