JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   LGBT Mommies and Mommies to be (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f302-lgbt-mommies-and-mommies-to/)
-   -   gay marriage where YOU live? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f302-lgbt-mommies-and-mommies-to/2566520-gay-marriage-where-you-live.html)

Gaby&Emmy'sMama August 27th, 2012 08:41 PM

gay marriage where YOU live?

What is the state of gay marriage where YOU live?
If it's not legal, are there any movements underway to make it legal?
What about civil unions? Can same sex couples have a civil union where you live?

Gray Sea August 28th, 2012 02:10 PM

Re: gay marriage where YOU live?

I know not much about civil laws here. I guess I don't pay attention, as I am legally married (to a man, guess you would call it, 'traditional marriage') But, I do know California is fighting mighty hard to overturn Proposition 8! AKA H8TE.
Ugh! It passed a few years ago, but, stupid anti gay marriage people fought against it. But, it's now in the supreme court! Shizz just got real serious...and the judge is all for it! So, just waiting for it to be official again!

Gaby&Emmy'sMama August 28th, 2012 03:09 PM

This evening NZ politicians are taking the first vote on making gay marriage ('marriage equality' as they are calling it) legal. i think if it passes tonight, they vote again another couple of times.. or something. SO, Lauriel and I might actually be able to GET MARRIED, rather than have a civil union!

Story August 31st, 2012 05:27 AM

I live in Canada and gay marriage is legal :)

Gaby&Emmy'sMama September 1st, 2012 03:53 PM

the politicians had their big vote the other night & overwhelmingly supported legalising gay marriage! There are still another couple of steps for it to go through, but fingers crossed NZ can be added to the list of nations where gay marriage is legal, in the near future!

Mom2Addy&Lei September 1st, 2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YukiSumah (Post 26472230)
I live in Canada and gay marriage is legal :)

I'm in Canada too! Ontario, and same sex marriage is legal!! :smile:

sugnim January 22nd, 2013 06:24 AM

Here in MT, it is front-page news that a state legislator has proposed removing a state law making it illegal to be gay. That law holds that if you are gay in MT, you can be punished by 10 years in jail & a $50,000 fine.

So, no, marriage is not legal. That said, my SO & I have been married for nearly 11 years.

Social Halfwit March 19th, 2013 12:57 PM

In Colorado and civil unions bill is on its way to the Governor's desk to be signed. It's not marriage, but it is a step in the right direction. I'm just hoping that this accomplishment can encourage everyone to fight harder for marriage; we already got this far, let's go all the way!! :clap: